adding non us parts question

So I did my conversion by adding a magpul butt stock, CAA aluminum tube, Tapco FGC, CSS trigger guard, CAA PG, 4 rail in front of my forend, forend, and a buffer. Now that the PG and aluminum tube are made by CAA, does that count against my being compliant count? Can you tell me what my us and non us count is? Im guessing by adding non us parts, it brings my non us count up. which would mean I need 2 more us parts to make it a wash? or does it only count with the parts that came with the gun? Im confused, and I should have just bought a US PG, but I didnt think about it when I ordered it. I know I could do a piston and with new mags I would be compliant, but curious to know where I stand with the way it is now. The adding non us parts is where I am the most confused about i guess. Thanks in advance for the help. Rob

Edited by WESLEY 3

You're not adding "non-US" parts, you're simply replacing the current foreign parts with other foreign parts, so it doesn't technically "add" to the foreign part count.

Assuming your handguard is US made and you have no muzzle device, you have 10 foreign parts on your gun, which is legal.

I am assuming that your buttstock is being counted as a US device since the actual stock is US made and would not be considered a buttstock without the MagPul part.

Check out this link which is in most of the stickies on here: http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

This is how I would interpret things, but that's just my opinion and probably wont convince an over enthusiastic BATFE agent...

You're not adding "non-US" parts, you're simply replacing the current foreign parts with other foreign parts, so it doesn't technically "add" to the foreign part count.

Assuming your handguard is US made and you have no muzzle device, you have 10 foreign parts on your gun, which is legal.

I am assuming that your buttstock is being counted as a US device since the actual stock is US made and would not be considered a buttstock without the MagPul part.

Check out this link which is in most of the stickies on here: http://gunwiki.net/G...erifyCompliance

This is how I would interpret things, but that's just my opinion and probably wont convince an over enthusiastic BATFE agent...

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Not it all makes sense, and i found the link you posted and its very helpful. I appreciate it! I have a threaded barrel, So now if I attach a brake or a poly choke my count goes to 9, and if I add a us mag it will go down to 6? I just want to make sure that I am compliant before I start popping rounds off. I know it probably will never get checked, but if it ever did, I would be safe :)

Rob

The threaded barrel doesn't count as a muzzle device unless there is something on it (I think). So adding a US-made muzzle brake will still keep your foreign parts count at 10 (because you're not adding or replacing any foreign parts). Adding a foreign made muzzle break will up your foreign parts count to 11 and make you illegal.

Using a US-made magazine would drop your foreign parts count from 10 to 7.

Also, certain states have various regulations concerning muzzle devices and their legality which is a separate issue from 922r.

You said that I didnt add foreign parts, I just replaced them, what about the foreign PG I added? There wasnt one before. What happens there? Just adds one to the foreign count?

So the FCG subtracted 3, and my magpul butstock subtracted 1, the us forend subtracted 1, does the DIY tromix trigger guard subtract one also? Oh, I just added a us mag to the gun tonight, so there is another -3 :) Just curious if the PG added one to the foreign part count and thats how you came up with 10 at the time.

What is the lowest amount of foreign parts that one can have on the saiga 12?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Rob

You're right. Adding the pistol grip added a countable part, and since it was foreign, it counts as a foreign part.

I'm not really sure how low you could go, usually one just worries about the maximum foreign parts count. Somebody else will have to chime in on that.

922r can be confusing. Just read what you can in the stickies and ask questions if you need to. With US mags, 922r is very easy to achieve.