My mags are crushing my ammo

I have been keeping my S12 loaded and ready to go. One in the chamber and a topped off mag in the gun. I was unloading it to take it to the range and noticed that the top round in the mag was crushed down and oval shaped. I'm sure it wouldn't have fed. It's S&B 2-3/4, 00 buck, and otherwise great ammo. Anyone else seen this before? I've stopped leaving the mag in the gun.

I have a Mod done to one of my mags that I keep loaded. It is a cross pin with ring inserted in a hole drilled through the mag. This holds the rounds down and keeps them from being flattened against the bolt. You pull it out like a hand granade prior to use. I can not take credit for it, the mod was invented by another member whose name I forget (anybody, anybody? ) and the actual mod was first done for me by SaigatechUSA. I have done several since using some "hood" pins I found in a hardware store.

I have been keeping my S12 loaded and ready to go. One in the chamber and a topped off mag in the gun. I was unloading it to take it to the range and noticed that the top round in the mag was crushed down and oval shaped. I'm sure it wouldn't have fed. It's S&B 2-3/4, 00 buck, and otherwise great ammo. Anyone else seen this before? I've stopped leaving the mag in the gun.

This condition is know as TRD = Top Round Deformation

Common with an unmodified S-12.

Keeping a slug in the top position of the loaded magazine will minimize this effect.

Other options include topping off a mag with a steel hulled round (or brass), or a shorter round if your gun will cycle low recoil buck,

.... or re-contouring the shape of the bolt to allow room for inserting full mags on a closed bolt, which in turn lessens the effects of TRD.

I can leave a full mag inserted in my personal S-12 for at least a week (on a closed bolt), and it will still load and fire that top round...even with bird shot.

I can leave a full mag inserted in my personal S-12 for at least a week (on a closed bolt), and it will still load and fire that top round...even with bird shot.

What Cobra said ^^^^........... This full mag has been in my gun on a closed bolt since I bought the Fiocci #4 buckshot at a gun show on 1/29/11. The only time I've taken it out was to shoot some clays with birdshot and for this pic.

post-23857-0-19952400-1298131903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1