BHO spring installed backwards?

Hi all. I was FINALLY able to get the da*n thing unstuck, and remove the bolt and etc so I can see what's happening in there.

The BHO spring has 2 "legs" on it -- a longer one and a shorter one.

It SEEMS as though the shorter one should face front - thus leaving extra length at the rear so it doesn't pop off as the BHO rotates.

In mine, the longer leg of the spring faces the front. The shorter leg is just barely long enough to reach the far side of the rectangular hole in the bottom of the receiver-the hole the BHO tabs sticks through.

From the looks of things even if I notch the BHO, the next time it gets pushed up the end/tip of the spring will be too short and slide off again.

I tried using a punch to tap the pin out a little bit, but it doesn't want to move. Is this thing permanently installed?

How in the aytch-ee-double-hockey-sticks am I supposed to flip that spring around?

**NOT** a happy camper!! :evil:

DD

Finally got it back in.

I used a piece of floss in one hand to lift the spring while I pushed it to the side of the receiver with a small screwdriver in the other.

Then I used my third hand to push the BHO down, and my 4th to guide its tab through the slot in the bottom of the receiver.:wacko:

It really did seem to be a 4-hand job....

Anyhow...

I filed a little notch in the BHO, and was finally able to bend the tip of the spring over so it should stay in that notch, now.

Whew!

'Course now it's too late to get to the range...

c'est la vie....

DD

I went back after finishing my restoration, pulled the BHO out and tossed it. I suppose it's convenient for locking the bolt open but either milling your own charging handle notch in the safety lever (if you're dremel competent and confident) or getting a safety lever with the notch in it from Krebs eliminates a potential source of problems while serving the same purpose, IMO.

• 3 months later...

Finally got it back in.

I used a piece of floss in one hand to lift the spring while I pushed it to the side of the receiver with a small screwdriver in the other.

Then I used my third hand to push the BHO down, and my 4th to guide its tab through the slot in the bottom of the receiver.:wacko:

It really did seem to be a 4-hand job....

Anyhow...

I filed a little notch in the BHO, and was finally able to bend the tip of the spring over so it should stay in that notch, now.

Whew!

'Course now it's too late to get to the range...

c'est la vie....

DD

Thanks for posting this, I just had a similar situation and the dental floss worked great. Didn't have to punch out the pin and remove the internals or anything. Just 5 minutes holding a penlight with my teeth and some dental floss and the small pin punch that came in the Saiga cleaning kit to maneuver the dental floss. You are my hero :super: