MD V-plug

Went to the range today and fired a bunch of different rounds with a new mod, a MD v-plug, with mixed results. I couldn't fire cheap win universal bulk from walmart (2-3/4 1-1/8 3 dram 7-1/2 shot). I can fire this pretty close to 100% of the time when I use the stock gas plug. I had the v-plug on the 5 setting, it shot low brass federal no problem but not the win universal. I re-installed the factory plug and it shot the win unversal no problem.

So my question is, should I grind and open up the v--plug to get more gas, or drill out another gas port (I have three), or just not shoot universal ammo unless with the stock plug??

Other than the win unversal ammo issue, the v-plug was great. Dialed in 3" mag slugs and 000 buck (setting 2). Fired too much, got a hurt shoulder.

Went to the range today and fired a bunch of different rounds with a new mod, a MD v-plug, with mixed results. I couldn't fire cheap win universal bulk from walmart (2-3/4 1-1/8 3 dram 7-1/2 shot). I can fire this pretty close to 100% of the time when I use the stock gas plug. I had the v-plug on the 5 setting, it shot low brass federal no problem but not the win universal. I re-installed the factory plug and it shot the win unversal no problem.

So my question is, should I grind and open up the v--plug to get more gas, or drill out another gas port (I have three), or just not shoot universal ammo unless with the stock plug??

Other than the win unversal ammo issue, the v-plug was great. Dialed in 3" mag slugs and 000 buck (setting 2). Fired too much, got a hurt shoulder.

Don't open the ports on the V-Plug! You will gain nothing from doing so. The V-Plug port for low brass is way bigger than the combined ports in the barrel... Opening the plug up is not going to let more gas out of your barrel... There are many possible reasons why the universal didn't work and I don't see the V-plug being one of them. Here are a few possibles... Your gun was cold and warmed up by the time you switched to factory. You gun was put away slighty dirty and the piston needed broken free. You gun was freshly cleaned and better sealed after firing a few rounds when you switched. Or a combination...

Thanks Mike. I'll definately leave the plug as is. I agree that there could be a combination of issues of why the stock plug worked with win universal. When I go to the range, I've been warming up the gun with a couple of mags (10 rnd AGP) of 3" slugs followed by 3" buckshot then step it down to 3" #4 and then go to the cheap stuff.

Of all the 3" slug and 00/000 buck I've shot, none will cycle reliably on gas setting #1, #2 works great and it doesn't seem to batter the truinion like the stock plug on #1. Would this indicate my gun is under gassed? I have 3 gas ports but have not pulled the gas block to determine the port diameters. What would be the maximum you would open the existing three ports to? I read on one of the threads here on the forum that small shot size can actually lodge in the ports.

Thanks again and I will be getting a MD 20 rnd drum once I get 'er dialed in. Better yet, when are the double stacks coming out??

I swapped my fact plug to the md arms before I even shot it! actually converted without shooting! But I knew if it wouldnt do what i wanted it would when the smithy got done with it! Based all on advice from Known builders and the forum. I shoot low brass stuff on setting 5 and the high brass stuff on 3 and 4. keep trying lower settings as gun gets more broken in? I wonder if the fact plug would have been fine but in all the things bought it b/c it is a good buy and looks much better than the fact plug too me, and is nice to change without tools if needed? whats the saying ? yes its a 250 dollar shotgun, no i gave 500+, and yes i can get/build you won for 1500+" epic accurate description but love the platform!

Have you shot at LEAST a couple hundred rounds? Break that thing in good and THEN go abut tuning it!

Yep, shot it stock with at least a few hundred rounds with a lot of 3" high brass #4 and slugs/buck, as well as bulk ammo before converting. Gave it a good work out on the shoulder. Also, slighty profiled the bolt (scared to cut too much) and polished it. Then changed to the V-plug.

I just added a KA puck, so I need to shoot it to see if there's any difference from the stock puck in my gun. I have a bad Marine habit of cleaning my weapons after going to the range and storing back in the safe, I may need to let the gas plug seal up a bit.

Edited by AzPatriot

You gun was put away slighty dirty and the piston needed broken free.

Can you ellaborate on this? Correct me if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure you're talking about the puck needing to be broken free, but I've read on here that this doesn't matter..