Exactly how bad are HI-Point Handguns?

I work for an ffl in Florida. We sell about 5 hipoints per week and we've only had one come back with a broken firing pin over the past 2 years.. they are big bulky ugly guns but they seem to work.. I tend to relate everything to cars. A hipoint is like a geo metro, its not the fastest or the prettiest, but it will get you from point A to point B. I would honestly buy a hipoint before I purchased a Taurus if that means anything to you

I work for an ffl in Florida. We sell about 5 hipoints per week and we've only had one come back with a broken firing pin over the past 2 years.. they are big bulky ugly guns but they seem to work.. I tend to relate everything to cars. A hipoint is like a geo metro, its not the fastest or the prettiest, but it will get you from point A to point B. I would honestly buy a hipoint before I purchased a Taurus if that means anything to you

hmm. one of my friends owned a geo metro lol. Iam considering a hi point 45, but i do have my heart set on a PA-63 or CZ82.

hmm. one of my friends owned a geo metro lol. Iam considering a hi point 45, but i do have my heart set on a PA-63 or CZ82.

What are you looking to buy for? Just a range toy/plinker? Or something you'd put your life on? If it's the latter, I'd say save some more money and get something better.

That's my...

:2c:

EDIT: I'm loving your avatar. That game is like heroin. :lolol:

Edited by -Shooter-
  • Like 1

What are you looking to buy for? Just a range toy/plinker? Or something you'd put your life on? If it's the latter, I'd say save some more money and get something better.

That's my...

:2c:

EDIT: I'm loving your avatar. That game is like heroin. :lolol:

Iam lookin for an all around gun. General use.

The game is indeed like heroin. I just beat all the levels the other day.

My brother got a hi point 9mm compact for his first handgun. I went with him to the range for his first trip and put about 40 rounds through it. While I was shooting the next mag the slide retainer snaped and the slide almost came off. I was just glad It didnt slide off all the way and hit me. That experience put them on my bad list. Although he did have it sent out through the range free of charge for repair and got it back in about 3 weeks, with 2 extra mags in the box.

My brother got a hi point 9mm compact for his first handgun. I went with him to the range for his first trip and put about 40 rounds through it. While I was shooting the next mag the slide retainer snaped and the slide almost came off. I was just glad It didnt slide off all the way and hit me. That experience put them on my bad list. Although he did have it sent out through the range free of charge for repair and got it back in about 3 weeks, with 2 extra mags in the box.

good to hear they have a good customer service area.

Got one in a 45. It hits what I aim at and has never givin me any fits. They do have a Love Hate relationship with lots of folks. I haven't had to use it for anything of serious nature. Would more than likely grab the shotgun any way. I just always wanted a 45 and this one was available and affordable. That's my for what is worth.

Don

My father has one he carries hunting. And my brother in law has one he uses for a range plinker. Both in .40sw

I've shot both a combined 400+ rounds and thought they felt blocky and top heavy. I can hit what I aim at with them.

I think they are fun plinkers

throw a p-64 in for consideration- it's basically a better PA-63 (looks the same but isn't aluminum and has a completly different set of parts), and extremely accurate plus a lot smoother to fire then the pa-63.

edit: Didn't want to make another post- thanks for the video bean, that was cool

Edited by volkov

What are you looking to buy for? Just a range toy/plinker? Or something you'd put your life on? If it's the latter, I'd say save some more money and get something better. ...

Exactly, save your money and get one of the more respected brands. A cheap gun loses value the day you take it out the shop and never appreciates. No man should be content with one of these POS to protect himself and his family.

As a range toy? Whatever.

• Like 1

throw a p-64 in for consideration- it's basically a better PA-63 (looks the same but isn't aluminum and has a completly different set of parts), and extremely accurate plus a lot smoother to fire then the pa-63.

edit: Didn't want to make another post- thanks for the video bean, that was cool

I prefer the PA-63. I don't think that they look the same (at all) and I consider the aluminum/titanium alloy frame to be an advantage (you cam barely feel this gun inside your pocket). The P-64 feels too small in my hand, while the PA-63 feels perfect. The PA-63 also holds one more round. I replaced the main spring and trigger spring in my PA-63 with Wolff springs, which made it a very smooth and soft shooting piece.

• Like 1

well to each his own. A lot of people find the light aluminum frame makes the gun a bit snappy due to lack of weight on the bottom.

Also went with wolf springs on the p-64 since the factory DA sucks and the recoil spring could deal with a few more pounds. Love em, essential for these guns.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted one for my 4x4 kit, stick it in there with my jack and med supplies...

I went down to buy one and holding the top heavy thing I could not bring my self to buy one...

If your looking for a cheap gun look around

I ended up buying a used Keltec P11 for $200 otd for truck use...

I also picked up a $300 Glock 22 police trade-in, it serves as my beater/camping/boat gun. :chris:

If you want cheap, keep looking, deals are out there for very good deals.

Edited by Gibbles
  • 3 months later...

Maybe they are alright, but seriously, if you want something thats pretty cheap and you CAN bet your life on, get a ruger P series pistol. You can find them all over the place for around 300 bucks, I have put over 3000rds thru my P95 9mm, and havent had a malfunction since the first couple hundred rounds. It has been a great, dependable piece. Now I havent done the crazy shit that those guys did the the hi points, but I have dropped it with three full clips into a mud puddle on accident, everything was caked with crap, and it shot every round. If your pistol may be your emergency bed side or trunk gun, get one that has a decent reputation(like the post above). Your life is nothing to fuck with. If you only blow up squirrels and keeping it in your shed, get a hi point. My :2c:

Edited by Boomsick42

Just how bad is it?

I heard about a guy who fired a Hi Point, which blew up. The shrapnel killed his whole family, the bullet ricocheted and killed his dog, and then sparks from the ricochet burned his house down, and then the shell casing landed on a voting machine and registered a vote for the political party he disagreed with. Yep, true story.

You should hear about the guy who fired a Bryco!

• Like 4

My uncle has one.

I think it's big, ugly, ungainly, and awkward. It's a great functioning gun though. My uncle's came with four mags, two didn't feed properly, he contacted hi-point and they immediately sent him two more sight un-seen and no questions asked other than where to send them to.

I want one, I'm going to paint it yellow and black like a DeWalt drill...

For a cheap, reliable weapon, you can't beat a hi-point.

Now if someone were breaking in and there was my 1911, my S&W Sigma .40, and a hi-point, I'm reaching for the 1911 but I'd have no problem fighting my way to my 1911 with a hi-point.

Edited by Caged

Maybe they are alright, but seriously, if you want something thats pretty cheap and you CAN bet your life on, get a ruger P series pistol. You can find them all over the place for around 300 bucks, I have put over 3000rds thru my P95 9mm, and havent had a malfunction since the first couple hundred rounds. It has been a great, dependable piece. Now I havent done the crazy shit that those guys did the the hi points, but I have dropped it with three full clips into a mud puddle on accident, everything was caked with crap, and it shot every round. If your pistol may be your emergency bed side or trunk gun, get one that has a decent reputation(like the post above). Your life is nothing to fuck with. If you only blow up squirrels and keeping it in your shed, get a hi point. My :2c:

Hmmm, I haven't heard of a hi-point malfunctioning...

At one point I was going to get one myself. My wife just had our baby and I needed something for the house that I could trust with our lives. I really didnt care if it was ugly or top heavy, I just wanted something that we could afford and would go bang every time, without question. Well, that was the problem, "without question", I just couldnt buy a new gun that I felt was on the same level as a jennings/bryco. I had also heard conflicting stories about hi points pistols overall, and maybe that was just hype. I saved about twice what a new hipoint cost and got a ruger p95. I am certain that it will fire all 15rds if need be.

I did try, at one point, to think the 150 dollar pistol was just as good and for less money. That would have been my first pistol, and only choice at that time to fend off a violent attack or burglary, I decided against it.

Im not saying there bad guns at all, I have heard of alot of people who love them. But I cant justify buying one for my first line of defense.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • 1 month later...

For the number of people that share info there's way too many saying they have problems. Glocks are cheap, lighter and more dependable/proven. If you already had a bunch of stuff and just wanted to get one I'd say go for it. But general purpose implies possible defense use. Buy once buy right, you'll save more money in the long run brudda.

• Like 1

good to hear they have a good customer service area.

If the slide retainer had just cracked but not let go & it was carried concealed & the slide retainer let go as he was carrying it with one chambered, the slide would cock up slightly, causing the SA-only FP to release & it would rack a round or 2 off.

No thanks.

I'd rather not unexpectedly have my balls blown off.

They're piles of shit.

Yes they work, but that slide retainer is dangerously weak & it's held in there by a steel roll pin inserted through plastic, so that will become loose eventually with removal & reinstillation from cleaning.

Buy a used 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen Police Glock. :up:

• Like 2