Exactly how bad are HI-Point Handguns?

If the slide retainer had just cracked but not let go & it was carried concealed & the slide retainer let go as he was carrying it with one chambered, the slide would cock up slightly, causing the SA-only FP to release & it would rack a round or 2 off.

No thanks.

I'd rather not unexpectedly have my balls blown off.

They're piles of shit.

Yes they work, but that slide retainer is dangerously weak & it's held in there by a steel roll pin inserted through plastic, so that will become loose eventually with removal & reinstillation from cleaning.

Buy a used 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen Police Glock. :up:

Now that is the way to voice an opinion.032.gif

Say it with confidence, back it with informed knowledge and then offer a solution. Well done sir.

A used police issue glock is always a good thing. You know they took care of them and if they had an issue, right to the gun smith. They are going to cost around the same as a new ruger sr9 or sr9c. About 450 all together, and youll have something that you can count on. You can get the police issue glocks for less than that in some places, you just have to look around.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • 5 months later...

I don't think I'll ever buy a Ruger pistol. I've been a range officer for about three years now and I've actually seen a lot of Rugers with issues. Sometimes is small internals breaking or falling off, but usually its a cycling issue. Unless you keep them very clean and oiled, the slide slows down so much you can actually watch the gun cycle like its in slow motion, shortly after you have frequent FTF's. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I want a gun that you don't have to clean and oil, but I'm talking like after 100 rounds at the range. I'd still go with a Glock if given a choice between the two.

I have a hi point 9mm carbine, it's fun and reasonible reliable and accurate for the price. It and my 22 are my loaner/ newbie guns I'll let friends start off on when we go to the range if they don't have a lot of experiance with firearms.

I have a police issue Glock 22, runs like a champ and is a real tack driver, the tritium sights are a nice bonus for what I paid.

My 2 cents:

Used Glock if you can come up with $300-$400, I have a 19, would like to also have a 23 (same in .40 cal vs, 9mm). Look for the police trade ins as mentioned by others. You can also find Hi-Power clones in that price range, excellent and dependable, but all steel and heavier. Bet your life on either, and both shoot better than most people can.

If you need to stay in the $200 or less range, it is hard to beat the CZ-82 in 9x18 Makarov if concealment is not a big issue (small except grip area due to double stack mag). 12 rounds and an accurate, bet your life on it handgun. The caliber is a little light, between 9mm luger and .380, but will get the job done. PA-63 or Polish P-64 are also very good, low cap but more concealable, same caliber. If you have your C&R you can buy the CZ-82 or P-64 direct. If you look long and hard enough you might find a .38 special revolver with a lot of mileage in that range.

i have a hi-point 9mm carbine and a .45 acp pistol,they both run perfect with no issues. the 45 is just a range gun and plinker,definately not a ccw for me.the pistol is accurate and has low recoil . i did do a polish job on the slide so it racked smoother. the trigger is around 4 lbs and has a lil initial take-up. YMMV heres a pic

post-39677-0-96109800-1328509593_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised folks here don't see the similarities between the hi-points and Saigas.

Many folks feel the Saiga is not to be relied on without some tweaking. Many feel they are not reliable ever due to reported problems. (I personally feel very confident with Saigas)

Just as my S12 needed fiddling to be relied upon, Hi-points sometimes need some attention (coors specials?). I have played with friend's hi-points and was generally impressed with some examples accuracy (some sucked) and reliability.

I have not personally worked on a hi-point but I have customized several jennings J-22's. I replaced the disconnectors and safeties with ones I made from steel stock, rebarreled them with turned down ruger MKII take offs (a class 3 buddy had a drawerful) and of course different springs. My father in law still has one as a backup/deep cover gun that I gave him after he fell in love with it, it has over 3,000 flawless rounds through it and is as much a tack driver as a subcompact pistol can be. I fell in love with the J-22 when one I bought on a whim saved my life when assualted by a drugged out ex-con while off duty, that $70 pistol was just enough to outgun a maniac who spent the last 4 years working out every day at club fed and who would have easily beat me to death otherwise.

My last 2 tweaked Jennings/Bryco/jimenez J-22s ended up in friends hands after they tried them on the range and fell in love with them.

I have been hankering to buy a hi-point and go over it in the same way I did my J-22's and S12, replaced all that is weak, work it until it's flawless, put way too much time and money into a cheap gun that I could spend customizing a "nicer gun". I guess I'm just sick in the head, but I'm buying the first really cheap one I see.

Would one be my first choice for home defense? No. Would I choose one for a tool kit gun, truck gun, or tucked into my spare camping gear? Yes.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a used .45 Hi-Point years ago from a friend for $75. (His new wife didn't like handguns in the house)

I put 1000ish rounds though it without issue, then sold it for $100

They are what they are. A cheap plinker or throw away gun.

Edited by WhiskeyMinion

I picked up a 9mm Hi-Point last summer at an estate sale for $50. Put 200 down the pipe, not one hiccup, and used it for a truck gun. Sold it to my neighbor last month for $125. She put another 300-ish through it, and it now bounces around in her truck.

They are what they are: cheap truck/trunk guns. As the old saying goes, some gun is better than no gun.

• 1 month later...

I would honestly buy a hipoint before I purchased a Taurus if that means anything to you

+1

Realize what you are getting for the money and you will enjoy it. The first thing I do to a new hi point is strip it down and give it a good shave with an x-acto knife. Polish the feed ramp,slide, ect as needed. Then take it out and fire it, make sure everything is working right. If there are any problems hi point will take care of it. They are known to have excellent customer service. I personally have never sent anything to hi point. My C9 has run flawlessly since I got it. As did the compensated 9mm I had years ago... and I was probably the 7th or 8th owner of that thing! It just kept getting passed around as my buddies and I upgraded to newer "better" guns. I wish now I had never sold that one!

Just my 2cents... But I've had good experiences with them. They are tough as nails! As Iraqveteran8888 has shown on youtube. They are inexpensive, fun and make a good range toy or trunk gun...

Just don't expect to win a beauty contest with one!

• 3 weeks later...

Comparing them to Saiga's isn't a great parallel. Most of the S12 work done is because we all want to use cheaper, under powered shells in a gun designed for buck shot and slugs. Don't get me wrong though I'm not denying the existance of Russian lemons, they are out there. But tweaking to obtain reliability isn't the the only thing wrong with highpoint. Since August I've had to walk several of their carbines off the range and to the parking lot. Because the safety broke off inside the rifle and prevented the bolt from being cycled to eject the live round from the chamber. Of course every gun isn't going to be steaming turd, but when you use cheap materials in the improper places (see Paul's post about steel pins through plastic holes) stuff like that will happen.

Yes: a highpoint in a gunfight or other defense situation is leaps and bounds better than the gun you don't have.

Yes: if you have the money to spend and just want a gun that'll probably go bang when you're shooting paper than by all means, go ahead

But no: when I'm choosing a pistol I might have to stake my life on, a bulky, single stack pistol, filled with inferior small internals and typically sells for less that a hundred bucks will not be anywhere near my radar.

My brother got a hi point 9mm compact for his first handgun. I went with him to the range for his first trip and put about 40 rounds through it. While I was shooting the next mag the slide retainer snaped and the slide almost came off. I was just glad It didnt slide off all the way and hit me. That experience put them on my bad list. Although he did have it sent out through the range free of charge for repair and got it back in about 3 weeks, with 2 extra mags in the box.

The frame has to fail for the slide to come off, and it has to fail pretty badly.

If you watch moss pawn's destructive tests it's clear the gun is not remotely likely to throw it's slide.

These guns are crude, clunky and heavy, but they are also rugged, accurate, and reliable.

I have owned many a gun that cost 5 or 6 times what a hi-point does and yet were completely unreliable

I also owe my life to having a crappy little Jennings J-22 within reach.

Edited by preparehandbook