I purchased the Bushnell TRS-25. I was looking for a low profile reflex sight...

The TRS-25 was alright. Honestly, i shot like crap with it. I am NOT saying it was due to the sight. This is a well built sight. Feels solid, functional, comes with (crappy) rubber dust covers (still better than NO covers) It is pretty light weight, large on/off/brightness knob... very solid mount. I mostly dont like it because of its LOOKS. Its about 2.5 inches long and just doesn't look right on my rifle.

I bought this optic from cabelas for 110 dollars after tax. I will be returning it for no other reason than it does fit the style of reflex sight i am looking for. Functionally this is a very solid choice for someone shopping for a compact sight around 100 bucks.

post-27379-0-56297200-1298265153_thumb.jpg

post-27379-0-05033600-1298265168_thumb.jpg

post-27379-0-20938300-1298265180_thumb.jpg

post-27379-0-85940800-1298265193_thumb.jpg

post-27379-0-20976100-1298265205_thumb.jpg

Seriously? I put it on the front of the mount and it just felt soooo far away. On the back of the mount it felt a little more natural. Its already back in its packaging ready to go back to cabelas I will have to try that out on my next choice. Thank you for the pointer.

Need to mount it forward, not anywhere behind the rear sight.

Only red dot that's comfortable to use mounted that far back is the PK-A.

Which to be honest, you might as well find one and give it a try, not much more expensive.

Edited by Tombs

Seriously? I put it on the front of the mount and it just felt soooo far away. On the back of the mount it felt a little more natural. Its already back in its packaging ready to go back to cabelas I will have to try that out on my next choice. Thank you for the pointer.

Most red dot reflex style sights work much better mounted forward!

If it feels unnatural when mounted far forward is it because you are trying to use it with one eye.

• Like 2

YOUVE GOT NO PROOF AZRIAL! Honestly, that could be the case. I dont specifically remember when i was installing it for the first time, but i do know that i when i was zeroing the sight i was shooting with both eyes open. I dont have any experience with these reflex sights. Im ordering another sight by next week. Well see how that run goes!

I have on of these mounted forward on a ultimak. I really like it and the way it performs. I think it is the best dot for the price!

This is where I have mine also, probably the best place for this type of sight. The Bushnell is okay for what it is, no Aimpoint of course. I bought it to check out because so many students ask about them. I find the dot to not be very sharp and am annoyed that I have to turn it on and off, but for a hundred bucks what do you expect?

To the OP, you say it is not what you were looking for in a sight, what were you looking for?

YOUVE GOT NO PROOF AZRIAL! Honestly, that could be the case. I dont specifically remember when i was installing it for the first time, but i do know that i when i was zeroing the sight i was shooting with both eyes open. I dont have any experience with these reflex sights. Im ordering another sight by next week. Well see how that run goes!

So, how did it go? :D

I'm going to be buying the bushnell 730001 and see how it runs. I'm waiting on my buddie to decide his optic (vortex sparc or strikefire) so we can ship them together... but he's like a damn woman and can't make his mind up.

Just a quick update on my use with this RDS. During an Advanced AK class this last weekend in AL, I used the Bushnell mounted on my Ultimak equipped Saiga/Red Jacket. My second day there it rained most of the day, hard. The next day I had a large fogged wetspot on the inside of the lense closest to the rear sight. I could still see the dot but it was far from optimal. Looks like it will be going back to Bushnell. Really I can't complain to much for the price that was paid.

Just a quick update on my use with this RDS. During an Advanced AK class this last weekend in AL, I used the Bushnell mounted on my Ultimak equipped Saiga/Red Jacket. My second day there it rained most of the day, hard. The next day I had a large fogged wetspot on the inside of the lense closest to the rear sight. I could still see the dot but it was far from optimal. Looks like it will be going back to Bushnell. Really I can't complain to much for the price that was paid.

No, not unless the price you pay is your life. My advise is to put whatever kind of cheap crap that you want on there, as long as it is no more then a range toy...

No, not unless the price you pay is your life. My advise is to put whatever kind of cheap crap that you want on there, as long as it is no more then a range toy...

Agreed 100%. This was my point in testing the cheap scope. I keep an aimpoint on the gun usually.

• Like 1

Azrial knows what he's talking about dont fuck with his knowledge and more importantly...dont question his knowledge... he has never steered me a stray in the past... I use an Aimpoint T-1 on my MI quadrail setup and I couldnt be any happier!!!

Edited by RoughRider666

Azrial knows what he's talking about dont fuck with his knowledge and more importantly...dont question his knowledge... he has never steered me a stray in the past... I use an Aimpoint T-1 on my MI quadrail setup and I couldnt be any happier!!!

jesus christ man, are you serious!? people are allowed to question anything they dont understand. thats why we come here. Anyways... Great point Azrial. I was looking at the trijicon reflex, rmr, Leupold deltapoint reflex and other similar style optics. Does the dot size matter on these? I couldnt understand why these typically have larger moa dots. Wouldnt a smaller dot be better?

jesus christ man, are you serious!? people are allowed to question anything they dont understand. thats why we come here. Anyways... Great point Azrial. I was looking at the trijicon reflex, rmr, Leupold deltapoint reflex and other similar style optics. Does the dot size matter on these? I couldnt understand why these typically have larger moa dots. Wouldnt a smaller dot be better?

Dot size doesn't matter tremendously.

You can play with your zero a bit to get POI to be on the top edge of the dot if a big dot really bothers you. Smaller is more precise but can be harder to pick up depending on the optic. If it's capable of going fairly bright in daylight conditions, I'd say smaller is better, just crank it up if you want a "bigger" dot.

I don't know about anyone else, but a red dot for me is at best only usable for point and shoot once you get past 50 yards. At 100 yards or more, I either want some magnification or I'd just rather use irons.

Those optics you're talking about also offer triangle dots. I've never used a triangle dot, but I would think it'd feel more comfortable to use at longer ranges than a dot.

When it comes down to it, for longer range precise shooting with a big dot of some kind, just turn it down to where it's barely visible. You should be able to see through the dot at that point and get a better idea of where your POI will be. Not sure if this is typical practice, just figured it out on the range when my aimpoint was completely covering my target.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Am i allowed to bitch about the prices of American optics? or did i wave that right? lol

Bitch all you like, then buy something actually made for the gun.

You mean a Russian optic? ;)

94pics016u.jpg

(PK-23-01 from Eastwave)

I did just buy a Bushnell TRS-25, (paid ~$90), though.. for my S-12. ;) It should mount nicely just forward of the H&K rear iron:

mk33.jpg

:smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Looks to me like the OP's already ditched the TRS-25 scope, Fluid Power. I agree with that decision; I wouldn't use a scope that cheap on a rifle, regardless of where it was mounted.

On my shotgun, (will co-witness with H&K irons, weapon's max effective range ~100yds), however, I think it will be adequate.

If it's not, (I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the build quality), then I'll simply send it back sometime in the first 30 days, with free shipping. Gotta love Amazon Prime. :D

I haven't yet had a chance to go sight the TRS-25 in, (beyond moving the dot to the POI indicated by my irons at ~25 yds), but I wanted to provide some initial impressions for those who might be considering this optic.

First of all, it's Chinese-made, so the quality seems to vary some. Of course Bushnell does provide a 2-yr warranty, so if you get a "bad one", it will be replaced by the company. The particular unit I received seems to have none of the defects that others, (on other websites), have complained about, e.g. there is no glue on the front lens, no debris in the tube, and the lenses seem to be straight. The emitter is glued in place, (yay Chinese quality), but it is oriented properly and the dot has a full range of adjustment.

I really like the small size, extremly light weight, and very low pic mount of the design. On my S-12, the TRS-25 easily cowitnesses with my H&K irons, (I have it mounted to a Tromix rail on my dust cover just forward of the H&K rear sight).

Of course the scope does have some design flaws, most notably the lack of finger-adjustable elevation and windage turrets. They have little covers, (which could be easy to lose), which must be removed, and then a screwdriver or similar tool, (coins don't work well), must be used to adjust the dot's position. I'm sure this is common in scopes in this low price range, but I miss being able to simply reach up, (while holding my sight picture if desired), and adjust for elevation/windage without tools. Since I'm using the TRS-25 on a shotgun, this inconvenient adjustment isn't that big of an issue, but if I were planning to use the optic on a rifle this would be a deal-breaker.

The TRS-25 would also benefit from some decent lens covers, (the ones included kind of suck and are too easy to lose), and a redesign of the brightness adjustment knob, which is quite stiff for some reason and more difficult to turn than it should be. It's not a problem for me, but could be an issue for some.

Overall, the TRS-25 is not a bad optic for ~$90, especially if, like me, you find it difficult to justify the cost of something like a Vortex Sparc or Burris Fastfire, (~$200), for use on a shotgun.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 2