Hammer Modification specifically for single hooks FCGs

Just a heads up for the DIY'ers....

When modifying your Tapco hammer to the proper dimensions you should also mimic the BHO side of the hammer where the hook would grab if it were a double-hook.

The top of the Russian hammer is angled the way it is to attempt to push the BHO side of the mainspring leg over if it begins to "walk" to the center.

When the spring moves & loses it's leverage, the trigger fails to reset & must be pushed forward manually to get the hammer out of the disconnecter before it can fire.

The fact that the Tapco single hook's hammer is the style of a double hook's seems to be a lack of attention to detail or a cost cutting measure. IMO it really should be addressed to match the Russian single hook design if using a G-2 single hook.

If the hammer is angled like the Russian hammer, that side of the hammer helps to keep the mainspring's leg positioned correctly as the gun cycles, thus leading to better reliability.

I've noticed nobody has mentioned this, & haven't seen anyone doing it.

I'm doing it on all my hammer jobs that come with my GlassBolt Service to make the guns I have a hand in as reliable as they can be.

Just a suggestion....

I'd post pics, but I'm too busy to take them.

Thanks Pauly, as always - a professional tutorial with some meat and potatoes as to why.

Can't wait to get mine back and play with it. Might just make me brave enough to mess with the rifles myself. Need to knock the trigger slap out of my Sar 1.

PIX

I'd love to, but can't spare the extra time away from fulfilling orders. I'm dealing with the tremendous rush of this sale.

Many people sent me 3-5 sets per order & some days I got 12 orders in a day toward the end of the sale. I'll be more active once this sale rush wears down in a bit over a week & post pics.

I'm just on the board at this second to respond to PMs.

I'm keeping the laptop closed till I take PM breaks as not to get distracted.

Does the tromix fcg need this mod?

Every US made single hook hammer that i'm aware of could use this mod.

Look at the back of your Russian hammer & look in the receiver with the dust cover off as you hand cycle the weapon.

If you're aware of the spring walking issue & the difference between how the tapco double-hook's right hook prevents the mainspring leg walking & sitting on top of the trigger leg a touch more than the lack of support/barrier due to the single hook's lack of hook, you'll see where the spring BHO side spring can walk to the center much more than the double hook setup.

If you look at any US made hammer in production, they're made like a double hook's hammer, being symmetrical.

when the hammer is pushed down on a spring leg that's walked to the center with the flat back of a US hammer, it will simply press down on the spring.

if you look at the Russian hammer, how the BHO side is angled & watch it while cycling, you'll see how at high speeds the back of the hammer, where it's angled is able to push the spring over to the correct spot as the hammer travels backward.

If any of my customers who got this mod once I started it want to post pics, go for it.

Pretty much copy the Russian hammer's back on the BHO side.

I'm certain they didn't just add an extra production step for shits & grins. The hammer's like it is for a reason.

I test every FCG to it's carrier before it leaves the shop, so I just happened to notice what was going on & realized that is likely why the spring walking happening (& hammer not coming out of the disconnecter) post-conversion is an issue much more than on factory configured guns.

• Like 1

am i the only lazy person that keeps the russian hammer?

one extra us part is not hard at all to come up with,

You know thats a damn good point. I have way more parts than I need for compliance, Maybe I will just throw the russian hammer back in instead of Fuqing with the new one..... way to think in the box of parts :P

am i the only lazy person that keeps the russian hammer?

one extra us part is not hard at all to come up with,

I put the Tapco in because it came with the FCG. After re-reading this post I see that Pauly said "double hook". Mine is a single hook. After a very close side-by-side inspection, there are several differences between the tapco and the Russian hammer. I can't however see where the hammer comes anywhere near making contact with the spring on the BHO side, or anything else for that matter. My gun runs great so I think it's going to stay like it is.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • 3 months later...

Interesting.

I just tweak the spring leg out some, so that it is actually trying to pull out against the side of the trigger, and it stays put.

Good idea using the spring's own stored energy to self correct.

I too have found that's the most reliable way to make sure the issue doesn't happen IMHO.

I found that putting an additional slight rotational bend in each leg will make them self-reset even if installed somewhat incorrectly or if the BHO pressing against the right side has a little play & moves the right over being as that's what usually seems to cause the issue.

Clockwise in the right leg, counter clockwise in the left to make the contact areas slightly higher inside the trigger legs & lower outside of the trigger legs.

I was playing with one & made a video to show how it works a little bit ago;

Pay no attention to the polishing on the back of that hammer, that was a customer's work. I don't do that.

I just grabbed that hammer for testing.

• Like 1