Problems with 5.45 Bullet Guides?

I ordered one from Dinzag for my round trunnion 5.45 Saiga. Why am I seeing threads every other day here about problems with round/flat 5.45 trunnion bullet guides from Dinzag? Is there anything I should look out for when I get mine? Is there a specific problem with the 5.45 BGs or do other calibers have the same problems (carrier getting caught up on the BG)? Any tips or videos on how to install a bullet guide properly? This seems like the most complicated part of the conversion process.

Hi Dave

I've talked to a couple folks (one of which is a mod here) and they don't have bullet guides on their Saiga 5.45s. Not sure why. I know some mags have a bullet guide built in, but I didn't get the impression that was why theirs worked. I'll PM them and see.

Corbin

Run the gun before you install BG and see if you even need it.

Use different ammo too. I had issues with hollowpoints...

You can make your own guide, it's just a piece of anything that you can use to ramp a bullet into the chamber. I used a 3/4" steel pipe and hacked it up to fit my trunion perfectly.

My particular 5.45 wouldn't run without a bullet guide. I had heard some were able to but mine didn't which wasn't a big deal. On all my conversions I've used the Bulgarian bullet guides from k-var.

They are very easy to use. Just carefully cut off the bolt cam with a dremel tool or the like and file the rear of the guide down a little at a time to seat it deeper under the chamber. Works like a champ and haven't had a stoppage in hundreds of rnds fired.

My particular 5.45 wouldn't run without a bullet guide. I had heard some were able to but mine didn't which wasn't a big deal. On all my conversions I've used the Bulgarian bullet guides from k-var.

They are very easy to use. Just carefully cut off the bolt cam with a dremel tool or the like and file the rear of the guide down a little at a time to seat it deeper under the chamber. Works like a champ and haven't had a stoppage in hundreds of rnds fired.

Your description on a Bulgarian BG is perfect!

I had to use a guide in my 5.45x39 and used a Dinzag that would not fit or work out of the bag. The problem is the guide was not tall enough and the bottom lead in where the mag lip needs to engage did not have enough clearance.Brian offered to provide a custom built replacement (great service!) but I chose to make a shim to fix it. I recall my Saiga was a flat trunnion. Hope that helps!

Frosty

:killer:

I've got a round trunnion and planned on doing my conversion tonight. I have a guide from K-Var but its for a flat trunnion. I'm thinking I can dremel it enough to fit the curved one my Saiga has (if I need it at all).

BTW... Has anyone noticed a difference in the round and flat trunnion 5.45 models when it comes to needing a bullet guide?

Edited by Milsurps 4 Me

I've got a round trunnion and planned on doing my conversion tonight. I have a guide from K-Var but its for a flat trunnion. I'm thinking I can dremel it enough to fit the curved one my Saiga has (if I need it at all).

BTW... Has anyone noticed a difference in the round and flat trunnion 5.45 models when it comes to needing a bullet guide?

A couple of files , time and patience and you can make it fit a round trunnion. I needed to do that to my first .223 Saiga because of the round trunnion.

As I figured fitting the bullet guide was/is the hardest part of this conversion. It took some heavy file and Dremel work but I've got it to where it fits nice now. The K-Var 7.62x39 guide I got a while back just needed the bolt stop cut off but that was for a flat trunnion.

I'm a little leary about the way the hole is so close to the chamber on the 5.45 I'm doing but after looking at a Bulgarian 74 I have its pretty much the same location. My 74 even has the mags sit to where the tip of the bullet is almost touching the ramps of the BG. I figured the one I'm putting in my Saiga would hang over into the mag well too far but its the same. I'll try to get some pics up during the week.

Drill and tap tomorrow then range trip next weekend. :smoke: