Arsenal SGL12-01 or IZH 109 BHO

I was all set to buy a Mossberg 500 until I fired a friends Saiga 12. I have been reading all your posts. (Thank you). I plan to convert. I was wondering which was a better platform to convert the IZH 109 or the Arsenal/Legion SGL 12-01? The only difference I noticed was the chrome lined barrel and a bolt hold open feature. Based on that I'm leaning tword the SGL 12. Do I still have to smooth out the internals with the SGL? I plan to use it as a hog gun and for home defense. I am planning on a Chaos Titan Rail, EOtec optics, Galil pistol grip, the rest is still up in the air. I still have some reading to do. You are my knowledge base. If you have any info, ideas or comments I would like to here from you. Thanks.

They are the same gun. The IZH-109 BHO has the LRBHO, and from what I understand all S-12 shotguns coming into the country will have this feature - it's just a matter of waiting for all the old-style shotguns to be sold, just as it was when the manual BHO was introduced.

You're better off with the BHO version of the shotgun, whoever you buy it from. Personally, I'm waiting to purchase a BHO shotgun until the current run of fugly import-mark obliteration-rectangles is gone.

The 109BHO has the auto bolt hold open. It is a neat system, but you have to modify current aftermarket mags just to get them to lock in place without triggering the BHO. You will see I started another thread about what I'm doing to make the LRBHO work with Surefire stick mags. I do not see any easy way to make it work with the drums. The drums still work the same in the 109BHO as they do in the non-BHO model, but they won't automatically hold the bolt open after the last shot. In other words, you don't lose anything, nor do you gain anything with drums and the 109BHO right now.

There are some other things I like about the 109BHO, including where the manual BHO button is. On the non-BHO versions, the BHO tab protrudes from the receiver above your trigger finger EXCEPT when you use it to lock the bolt back. This can interfere with some people's trigger finger. With the 109BHO, that tab is retracted UNTIL the bolt is held back. This makes the tab a form of additional feedback that, yes, you are out of shells and need to change your mag RIGHT NOW.

The SGL12-01 has a wide body of knowledge out there, whereas the 109BHO is newly in the hands of regular folks like me, and it might limit you to certain aftermarket products (like certain trigger guards or magazines).

The best thing would be to get one of each.

:)

They are the same gun. The IZH-109 BHO has the LRBHO, and from what I understand all S-12 shotguns coming into the country will have this feature - it's just a matter of waiting for all the old-style shotguns to be sold, just as it was when the manual BHO was introduced.

You're better off with the BHO version of the shotgun, whoever you buy it from. Personally, I'm waiting to purchase a BHO shotgun until the current run of fugly import-mark obliteration-rectangles is gone.

Sorry I dont mean to hi-jack the thread..but whats with the import markings being covered anyway....who really cares if its shown...arent all IZH guns out of Izhmash anyway? Not sure where the SGLs are made.

The chrome lined Barrel isn't a big selling point for you guys? I read you can't change barrels then I read you could but they are impossible to find. Thoughts ?

You cant change barrels normally due to them not being available...much like bolts, and to some degree dust covers...no one makes them...

Its difficult to make barrels for some Russian arms due to the variations in tolerances between manufacturers...

Sorry I dont mean to hi-jack the thread..but whats with the import markings being covered anyway....who really cares if its shown...arent all IZH guns out of Izhmash anyway? Not sure where the SGLs are made.

Apparently ATF regs. Far as I can tell they are the same guns, imported by different people. I assume it's random chance, but the one Arsenal gun I have has the gas holes properly placed unlike the 19" RAA gun, but haven't gotten to the range with it.