FEMA planning for Massive New Madrid Earthquake

Is the planning realistic?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is FEMA's planning realistic for the scenario described?

• No, such a quake would affect most of the midwest and atlantic states
    • Yes, damage would not be super wide spread
    • No, but that is about the best they can hope to do
    • No, I'm paranoid and the earthquake is a cover story
    • No, I'm not paranoid but the earthquake is a cover story
    • As long as Graceland survives, I don't care
    • I'm buying another Saiga

Some insight into FEMA planning for a Massive New Madrid earthquake. Looking at the planning, it is actually strangely inadequate given how different New Madrid quakes are from California quakes.

FEMA's Assumptions

7 million survivors,

14 million cotton blankets (per day, for 10 days)

14million MREs, (per day, for 10 days)

210 Million liters of bottled waters (per day, for 10 days)

+ transitional shelter units with a 6 month occupancy

RFI - Blankets for Disaster Relief

Solicitation Number: HSFEHQ-11-R-Blankets

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=dbbf396ad98876328a0ba1485a842af1& tab=core&tabmode=list&=

RFI for Pre-Packaged Commercial Meals

Solicitation Number: HSFEHQ-11-R-Meals

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=eaea338540a0aea155a48a650a077352& tab=core&_cview=0

RFI - Hydration Supplies for Disaster Relief

Solicitation Number: HSFEHQ-11-R-Hydro

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=62cccef98e5833104bddc6956bf68170& tab=core&_cview=0

Transitional Shelter Units

Solicitation Number: HSFEHQ-11-R-0210

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=4374cea42400b0c22edda058ed87ff8f& tab=core&_cview=0

Edited by tktm

In my mind and many other FEMA has become synonymous with how to fuck up a disaster relief effort. They are an expensive, overbloated, inefficient, dysfunctional, bureaucracy who can't even get out of their own way. I shudder to think of having to depend on them for anything. Put them in charge of saving Graceland and maybe, just maybe, through sheer numbers and pure dumb luck, they can manage to pull it off.

• Like 2

Ready tin foil hats commandos!!!! :rolleyes:

There has been predictions of a "big one" in the Midwest coming for years now. If OP had mentioned FEMA camps against the people I think your comment might have had justification. Heck, all his links are .gov!!

http://geology.com/news/2011/arkansas-earthquake-swarm-map.shtml

Just in the last few weeks there have been H U N D R E D S of Earthquakes in Arkansas....I for one am not counting on the Gov for help. I'll be ok for the most part. HELL I know where some of you guys live!!! :lolol:

Edited by Bean.223

FEMA's job isn't "disaster relief" if that is defined as pulling people out of rubble or off rooftops. They are really just the government's purchasing agent and ATM. The only first response duties they have is some participation in initial management and coordination with state and local first responders. You guys looking askance at FEMA are buying off on a Lefty/media line going back to the Clinton days and which reached full song with Katrina. Since Slick Willie "loathed" the military, he didn't want anybody in OD or cammo acting for his warm fuzzy administration. Since the NG, local law enforcement, and, if necessary, after a bunch of hoops the active military are the ones whose job it really is, Slick put Witt and his pretty blue and gold jacket out front. Hence the myth that FEMA actually does anything in a disaster other than write checks.

It fit the Left/media agenda in Katrina to be able to "blame Bush" by blaming FEMA for not doing whatever it was they were supposed to have done. Well, they did what they were supposed to do; they wrote the checks to clean up after the incompetents in NOLA and LA. Don't buy the propaganda; FEMA is a bunch of bureaucrats that buy and preposition stuff and come in when it is safe and start handing out money.

• Like 1

FEMA's job isn't "disaster relief" if that is defined as pulling people out of rubble or off rooftops. They are really just the government's purchasing agent and ATM. The only first response duties they have is some participation in initial management and coordination with state and local first responders. You guys looking askance at FEMA are buying off on a Lefty/media line going back to the Clinton days and which reached full song with Katrina. Since Slick Willie "loathed" the military, he didn't want anybody in OD or cammo acting for his warm fuzzy administration. Since the NG, local law enforcement, and, if necessary, after a bunch of hoops the active military are the ones whose job it really is, Slick put Witt and his pretty blue and gold jacket out front. Hence the myth that FEMA actually does anything in a disaster other than write checks.

It fit the Left/media agenda in Katrina to be able to "blame Bush" by blaming FEMA for not doing whatever it was they were supposed to have done. Well, they did what they were supposed to do; they wrote the checks to clean up after the incompetents in NOLA and LA. Don't buy the propaganda; FEMA is a bunch of bureaucrats that buy and preposition stuff and come in when it is safe and start handing out money.

We all know what FEMA does and doesn't do. We saw them do, and not do it during Katrina. If you think they have learned anything since then, here is a synopsis of their 2008-1013 strategic plan. If you can read this gobbledygook and tell me what it means, and more importantly what it means to the people who will counting on them post-disaster, you're a better man than me.

"FEMA's Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2008-2013 outlines a clear roadmap for building a stronger, dynamic, and innovative New FEMA that fulfills our vision of becoming the Nation's Preeminent Emergency Management and Preparedness Agency. The Plan establishes strategic goals, objectives, and strategies that provide a solid framework for everyone in FEMA to see how their contributions fit in implementing FEMA's vision. To ensure our combined success, every organization within FEMA should develop strategic plans that help implement FEMA's Strategic Plan, as well as performance plans that support their unit's strategic priorities."

You totally miss the point and you clearly don't know what "FEMA does and doesn't do". People who are "counting on them" are either misguided, stupid, or both; it isn't FEMA's job to be counted on. They're a bureaucratic agency, not first responders. It isn't their job to pull your stupid ass out of the rubble or off a roof because you were too damned dumb to look out for yourself. Their job is to pay for state and local emergency response and to finance rebuilding efforts. The left and media blamed FEMA in Katrina either because they didn't understand or, more likely, because it gave them the excuse to blame President Bush rather than the Black Democrat Mayor of NOLA or the Female Democrat Governor of LA. The real failure in Katrina was first in the corrupt construction of the levees that put the money in corrupt politicians's pockets rather than in the levees and in the utter incompetence of the NOLA City Government and the State of Louisiana.

Edited by Black3

We all know what FEMA does and doesn't do. We saw them do, and not do it during Katrina. If you think they have learned anything since then, here is a synopsis of their 2008-1013 strategic plan. If you can read this gobbledygook and tell me what it means, and more importantly what it means to the people who will counting on them post-disaster, you're a better man than me.

"FEMA's Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2008-2013 outlines a clear roadmap for building a stronger, dynamic, and innovative New FEMA that fulfills our vision of becoming the Nation's Preeminent Emergency Management and Preparedness Agency. The Plan establishes strategic goals, objectives, and strategies that provide a solid framework for everyone in FEMA to see how their contributions fit in implementing FEMA's vision. To ensure our combined success, every organization within FEMA should develop strategic plans that help implement FEMA's Strategic Plan, as well as performance plans that support their unit's strategic priorities."

You totally miss the point and you clearly don't know what "FEMA does and doesn't do". People who are "counting on them" are either misguided, stupid, or both; it isn't FEMA's job to be counted on. They're a bureaucratic agency, not first responders. It isn't their job to pull your stupid ass out of the rubble or off a roof because you were too damned dumb to look out for yourself. Their job is to pay for state and local emergency response and to finance rebuilding efforts. The left and media blamed FEMA in Katrina either because they didn't understand or, more likely, because it gave them the excuse to blame President Bush rather than the Black Democrat Mayor of NOLA or the Female Democrat Governor of LA. The real failure in Katrina was first in the corrupt construction of the levees that put the money in corrupt politicians's pockets rather than in the levees and in the utter incompetence of the NOLA City Government and the State of Louisiana.

Oh geez man, I know they are not first responders and I never said they were, OK? Yes, their job is to provide financial and other resources. I get it. THAT is what people will be counting on. I'm done here.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the current swarm of earthquakes in Arkansas......... There is an ongoing cluster of small quakes that have been occuring for at least fifty years, called the Enola Swarm. The last evident cluster took place about 30 years ago, and have tapered off until fairly recently....

The New Madrid Fault is halfway across the state, in the far northeast section of Arkansas, extending up into the Missouri Bootheel.....

I work with guys who live in the local area where the quakes are concentrated, and it isn't causing much concern there, because its just another swarm like 30 years ago.........

No tin foil hat for me just yet.............

Edited by Jeaux E

A 6ft hole in the ground....obviously TEOTWAWKI

Its not a "hole", the ground changes to quick sand, every thing the ground was supporting sinks into it; when the shaking stops it turns back into solid ground.

That is freaking awsome! I would love to watch that.

This is probably the worst liquefaction photo I've ever seen; there would be lots of this happening in the flood plains of the New Madrid fault zones.

More photos here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359865/New-Zealand-earthquake-The-moment-Christchurch-shook-pieces.html

article-0-0D513BAE000005DC-990_964x421.jpg

Anybody else notice the license plate??? :lolol: A photo shop MUST!!!

Being a Toyota assembly engineer...I was like, what IS that truck,

until I realized that that's New Zealand and that is our sold-everywhere-

but-the-US Hilux, which is about halfway in between the Tundra and Tacoma

that we sell over here.

Just bought my wife a Avalon limited. Looked at Nissan, Honda and Mazda, none of those had what the Avalon brings to the table. Plus being built in the great state of Kentucky. You can tell the quality that went into it. Good milage if you keep your foot off it, 14.5 in the quarter mile if you need it. It was also the only one with heated and AC seats.

Now back to the subject, we know so little about this and they can be quite Large .

My worry is having enough water to drink and to keep clean. It's no fun not having water to flush the toilet after taking a dump and being unable to wash your hands. I remember in 2003 when the power went out in Michigan and most of the eastern seaboard and parts of Ontario. The water went out as well and we had to get water from the swimming pool to flush the toilet and a friend had water at their house and I got containers from the neighbors and filled them for drinking and washing hands. The West Bloomfield, Michigan water department had emergency pumps or generators but did not know how to operate them and the people who purchased the equipment were no longer there. My next door neighbor was listening to them on a scanner.

Last Friday a water main broke and we had no water for a few hours and it made me realize how vulnerable we are. Fortunately the Cincinnati Water Works worked to get it repaired.

• Like 1

FEMA is about stabilization and recovery, not initial response. That is for the locals. Sadly, as the our gubn'nt goes through it's own "austerity" issues, the funds for such will be drastically cut. Esp. in light of the growing perceived "need" for such funding.

Iirc, NOLA was wiped out once before and came back with little to no gov. help.

http://www.todaysthv...=145764&catid=2

Arkansas had a 4.7 last night; I'm guessing that it was man made from a previous swarm of fracking induced quakes that have been on going in the area. We'll see if it causes something bigger to let go.

When the 8.0-9.0 does hit the region, water and porta potties will be worth their weight in gold.

For those unfamiliar with the New Madrid earthquake zone, back in the early 1800's the area had THREE 8.0-9.0 earthquakes all within 3 months of each other. Those quakes rang church bells in Boston and in South Carolina. One of those quakes caused the Mississippi river to flow backwards for three days and created Realfoot lake in Tennessee

I remember learning about it in highschool back in Iowa 30yrs ago. Given the activity through out the Mississippi Valley region and a bit beyond, I wouldn't be the least suprised.

My worry is that if there's a 8 or 9.0+ in the Madrid zone, whats the chances of it kicking up the Yellowstone zone? SHtF goes EOTWAWKI?

This is probably the worst liquefaction photo I've ever seen; there would be lots of this happening in the flood plains of the New Madrid fault zones.

More photos here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359865/New-Zealand-earthquake-The-moment-Christchurch-shook-pieces.html

article-0-0D513BAE000005DC-990_964x421.jpg

Anybody else notice the license plate??? :lolol: A photo shop MUST!!!

That photo is less than 1km from my fathers house, over half the city is like that or much worse.

the number plate is unlikely to be photoshoped,if you pay about nz$500 you get to choose your numberplate and it counts for signwriting for tax purposes

• Like 1

Hey Kligel,

Why isn't the Hilux sold in the US? Thats pretty much what I'm looking for. Iirc, ford makes a 4dr small truck as well that is not sold in the US.

ÜS Emissions restrictions as they have diesels. We had a few Hilux diesels in the Ghan and the Afghan National Army had four door Ford Rangers with diesels that seemed pretty tough. We also had Landcruisers and 4Runners with diesels in them. Sorry, back to TEOTWAWKI.

ive done some work with the plate boundary observatory, the new madrid is gnarly. we have helped run very precise gps measurements and there is very little in the way of plate movement. given the slow load characteristics, this gives a really false sense of security. when it does load to the point of a major slip, shit is going to get real interesting real fast. i doubt fema is going to be fully prepared. i know craig fugate from the time he ran florida emergency management. he is very level headed and i actually think he is the best fema director yet. hopefully the dc bureaucrats will get out of his way when the time comes. that being said, new nadrid is overdue. from what ive been told they expect it relatively soon, and no haarp has nothing to do with it (sorry tin foil hatters).