Step by step installation of hk sights

You need to find someone that can Tig weld up the top cover so your rear sight doesn't flop around.....and center it at the same time within it's adjustment range for fine tuning.....and also bore sight the sights in alignment with a laser in the bore. And also not over penetrate the front sight weld and fuck up your gas block....and blend the welds on the front sight so it doesn't look like shit....and keep the front sight at top dead center even when the welds on the side want to pull it over to one side when the weld cools.

There is a good reason many smiths either don't do it, do it like shit, or don't like to do it due to the risk of fucking it all up.

Tony

• Like 2

That's odd

I remember you saying you eyef#*k yours on before

Eye F%*k sights on

The barrel, receiver, trunion, top cover and everything else on the gun is not square or parrallel with anything. Jigging the front sight up never works worth a shit. It's best to just eye-fuck it from the rear.....at least that way, the front sight LOOKS straight to the shooter.

No one gives a shit if the sight is square with the barrel, square with the trunion, square with the receiver, or whatever.....if it doesn't LOOK straight, you're fucked.

This was posted after I tried to explain a very logical and easy to follow explaination?

I've never tried to contradict him or make him look bad? What's up?

Edited by saigatechusa

LOL, I certainly eye fucked mine on. Its pretty well documented on this forum.

Yes Yes You funny guy :super:

Now I don't see how your response helped answer sharpsjoe's question

Oh I see now It looks like you did'nt even weld your own sights own?

here was my initial respone

"I usually square up the gas block to the reciever, then tweek the top cover to fit correctly or as best possible. I then place the rear sight on and align with reciever, then set front sight and check with laser. Then tac on rear, check with laser, tac on front and check again. Also depending on your attachment design, rosette weld vs bead on out side, as you weld it can pull to one side or the other.

Unfortunatly for most enthuiast, if you could install dozens you gain experience and the installation gets better and better.

Never give up, and don't be too hard on yourself's, doing it yourself makes this project very rewarding and pushes people to learn and gain new found skills!! :exciting:"

I have allways tried to help and motivate people on this forum

It never seems to amaze me when children start posting on forums

Edited by saigatechusa

I did the rear sight and left the front to someone with a finer touch than my own. Putting the sight on the very end with a full 360 degree weld is best left to someone with a degree of skill I cannot confidently say I have. This is also why they are generaly not put in that exact location, the thin metal of the end of the gas block in conjunction with the threads on the inside, and not owning a tap in the needed size deterred me from taking on that aspect of the job myself.

To think I was not part of the process however would be silly. I've never claimed to do every aspect of a build on this forum yet, just as with my bikes this is a social hobby for me that is best spent surrounded by like minded individuals with their own skills to bring to the table. I guess thats why I'm just a garage hack? :D

• 3 weeks later...

I originally "eye-fucked" them on (gotta remember that one). But, I ended up with one that wouldn't dial in, and had to change. Like Tony said, too often you end up with a choice; either line them up with the bore, or put them on straight, but not both.

Now, I straighten up the gas block, and tweak the cover to get it somewhat straight. The problem with straightening the gas block is that, in order to do it properly, you end up needing to open up the pin holes to clean them for a tight fit pin so it won't just go back crooked the first time it gets hit on something. Then, I weld the front on, making it straight, then laser align the rear to it and weld it on. Sometimes they do look a bit crooked, but no one has yet complained. Perhaps they came to the same conclusion as I: I'd rather it look crooked and shoot straight than look straight and shoot crooked.

It's real easy to screw up the gas block. I do have the tap, and usually run it in anyway, HK sights or not, as sometimes the threads are tight. I was welding the rear from the underside, or on the inside of the base, but went to the outside. Way too often, the base would move sometime after aligning it and taking off the sight itself, or the cover from the gun, and it'd end up way off. It did look better welded from the underside or inside, but what can you do? Nothing is straight on these, so there's no real way to jig it and it come out right all the time.