Bullet guide kit from CSS: Cobalt drill bit?

I am having trouble getting the drill bit I got from CSS with my bullet guide kit. It made a nice dimple but it will not go further. I thought it was cobalt, was I wrong? I guess I will have to go to Lowe's and get another drill bit. What size is it again?

I am also not able to use my hand drill, the chuck will not pass the receiver if the drill is lined up straight. I am using my dremil tool. Any reason that will not work? The drill bit seems to turn fine and the end is even discoloring from heat, so I assume it is just not getting the job done and the problem is not the Drimel tool.

Thanks

I am having trouble getting the drill bit I got from CSS with my bullet guide kit. It made a nice dimple but it will not go further. I thought it was cobalt, was I wrong? I guess I will have to go to Lowe's and get another drill bit. What size is it again?

I am also not able to use my hand drill, the chuck will not pass the receiver if the drill is lined up straight. I am using my dremil tool. Any reason that will not work? The drill bit seems to turn fine and the end is even discoloring from heat, so I assume it is just not getting the job done and the problem is not the Drimel tool.

Thanks

The dremil is turning way too fast

You have probably work hardened the steel also

No worries, get the best quality drill you can, lowes will work. Take the old one and let someone measure it for you.

turn the drill no faster than about 200 RPM, use oil and use a moderate pressure to get you thru the hard surface, than ease up and let the drill cut.

Get a couple drills because when they turn dark blue or brown / black their toast.

When you get the speed right your can drill many holes

if you're not sure on the speed, and you can't use a drill press, use a varible speed drill motor and turn it slowwwwwwwwwwww.

remember slow, use oil, and let the drill cut.

Good luck

Did anyone using a hand held drill have the problem that I am having of the drill not being able to line up straight due to the chuck not clearing the top of the AK? I do not have drill press but read where others used a hand held drill so I did not anticipate this issue. I have a standard Black and Decker hand held and would be happy to use it if I could. Suggestions are appreciated.

No go. I broke the CSS drill bit and two other cobalt bits that I got. I have a nice dimple but it will not go beyond that. I used both a cordless hand drill and a corded one, on low and high speed, and the bit would not grab and drill out the hole. I am going to quit at this point. I already invested in lock tight, cutting oil, two drill bits, a tap wrench and the kit. Enough already. Can I just JB Weld it in there?

I am having this very same experience. Cobalt, Tungsten bits make a dimple, but just won't go any farther. I am very frustrated.

Edit: A quick trip to a local machine shop solved the problem. And I'm back on track with the conversion project.

Edited by RiverCity.45

I use a Ryobi bench top drill press and have done a few bullet guides. Did two more a couple weeks ago on my 5.45x39 rifles. The only time I have had an issue is when I forget to dip the bit in oil first. Since you thread the hole after drilling it and need some thread cutting oil anyway I use that. Any thick oil will work. I guess it keeps the bit from heating up and jamming. With a bit of oil the bit cuts through like butter.