7.62x39 firing pin spring

There are a number of threads in the past few years about the Saiga 7.62x39 firing pin lacking a spring - actually a designed free floating firing pin. A current advertisement online describes the same Saiga Sporter in 7.62x39 "includes a spring loaded firing pin" - as stated in the ad. Would that require a mod to the bolt and/or the firing pin supplied, as that system would not work with the stock bolt/firing pin? Or am I missing something. Wondering if there will be two different, but similar parts out there - to further confuse the parts issue. Anyone up to date on that issue?

Edited by sailor

There are a number of threads in the past few years about the Saiga 7.62x39 firing pin lacking a spring - actually a designed free floating firing pin. A current advertisement online describes the same Saiga Sporter in 7.62x39 "includes a spring loaded firing pin" - as stated in the ad. Would that require a mod to the bolt and/or the firing pin supplied, as that system would not work with the stock bolt/firing pin? Or am I missing something. Wondering if there will be two different, but similar parts out there - to further confuse the parts issue. Anyone up to date on that issue?

My Saiga 7.62 39 has a floating firing pin.

The 7.62x39 vepr has one and it can also use a regular free floating one. I can swap in a vepr spring loaded one into a saiga bolt. The firing pin itself is notched to retain the spring.

A saiga bolt could use either type with no mods required. However, bear in mind, the saiga/vepr bolt uses a 74 style firing pin.

• 7 months later...

The 7.62x39 vepr has one and it can also use a regular free floating one. I can swap in a vepr spring loaded one into a saiga bolt. The firing pin itself is notched to retain the spring.

A saiga bolt could use either type with no mods required. However, bear in mind, the saiga/vepr bolt uses a 74 style firing pin.

Do you have any pictures to compare, so I can order the exact part to swap out the free floating pin, for a spring loaded one, for my 7.62x39?

thanks!

Robert

Do you have any pictures to compare, so I can order the exact part to swap out the free floating pin, for a spring loaded one, for my 7.62x39?

thanks!

Robert

Look at this thread in the link http://forum.saiga-1...-saiga-308-bolt

That is a saiga captured spring firing pin. The captured firing pins are not available anywhere from what I have seen.

Also, your bolt will not likely be hollowed out in the rear for the spring.

Edited by my762buzz

Ok, I must correct something I stated earlier in this thread. Saigas can use either type of bolt springed or free floating, but only the springed bolts are hollowed out in the rear for the spring and firing pin retainment bulge to fit. So a free floating pin or a springed pin will fit a springed bolt, but a free floating bolt can only fit with a freefloating pin.

Edited by my762buzz

thanks!

Robert

Look at this thread in the link http://forum.saiga-1...-saiga-308-bolt

That is a saiga captured spring firing pin. The captured firing pins are not available anywhere from what I have seen.

Also, your bolt will not likely be hollowed out in the rear for the spring.

Iirc: the spring is not "captured" in that it can be removed from the pin; and therefore replaced with a new spring, if you could find/fabricate one.

i emailed ben murray and he said he could modify the bolt to accept a spring, long as the pin is the flat type for 30 plus return shipping.

Murray's the man. He did a spring loaded pin/bushing job on my SKS last year. After I got it back, no more punched primers. So far, my Arsenal hasn't punched one, but if it does, Ben gets the job.

Iirc: the spring is not "captured" in that it can be removed from the pin; and therefore replaced with a new spring, if you could find/fabricate one.

I used the term captured because of the cup looking piece on the spring end, similar to how you can purchase a recoil spring for a pistol that is captured but the spring can be replaced

by unscrewing the end piece.

Example

captured recoil rod

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Stainless-Steel-Captured-Recoil-Rod-for-G17_22_31-and-other-GLOCK-Models/productinfo/GMSSR17C-2/

glockmeisterstainlesssteelrodcapm.jpg

rodk.jpg

Edited by my762buzz
Murray's the man. He did a spring loaded pin/bushing job on my SKS last year. After I got it back, no more punched primers. So far, my Arsenal hasn't punched one, but if it does, Ben gets the job.

i called murray and asked about the procedure. he said he uses his lathe to make a place for a spring, along with a bushing.

said its about 1-1.5lb spring and have only had a few saigas maybe scratch the primer but no where near enuff to fire them off.

im considering getting this done but wont be back for a few weeks.

wish he had spare bolts so i could just purchase one already done, so the rifle wouldnt be down for a week.

we need a distributor to sell factory saiga parts.

Edited by rob0126