Gas Puck Steel Differences?

Ok So I got in my new gas puck today for my conversion...

I went with the Kingston Armory Gas Tappet and noticed that it was made with 440C Stainless Steel

The factory puck looks like some kind of tool steel...

Tapco's puck uses 17-4PH Stainless Steel

I think Etac uses 4340 Hardened Moly-Chrome Steel...

So my question is does the type of steel make a difference?

Why are so many made from stainless? Is the puck susceptible to rusting?

I have never understood why people waste money on these different pucks. I have used the factory puck and it runs just fine. I can shoot slugs, Buck or Dove loads and it does what it is supposed to do. Why donkey $ for a different puck when the one that comes with the gun works???

Mostly because people are replacing it for a 922R part and that is one of the cheapest to start with. The reason for stainless verse steel is because you don't have to chrome plate stainless, but you would have to plate steel. There are a wide range of material that can be used for this application, from Stress, stainless steel, 4140, what it comes down to is if they're heat treated to the right spec, and unless you have a Rockwell tester and know how to use it, your just going have to find out the old fashion way on this one.

I also use the factory puck. but why do folks spend money on mag wheels when the factory wheels roll just fine?? because in their opinion they just look better! andpersonal perception is name of the game! if you think it runs better then good enuff, if not then use the factory??

I have never understood why people waste money on these different pucks. I have used the factory puck and it runs just fine. I can shoot slugs, Buck or Dove loads and it does what it is supposed to do. Why donkey $ for a different puck when the one that comes with the gun works???

Mostly because people are replacing it for a 922R part and that is one of the cheapest to start with. The reason for stainless verse steel is because you don't have to chrome plate stainless, but you would have to plate steel. There are a wide range of material that can be used for this application, from Stress, stainless steel, 4140, what it comes down to is if they're heat treated to the right spec, and unless you have a Rockwell tester and know how to use it, your just going have to find out the old fashion way on this one.

Thanks Cameron...I looked at the hardness of some of these steels...

most are very similar in hardness if they have been heat treated...

...I wonder if E-tac did not harden their steel if people have had them mushroom..

...anyone know the type of steel in the OEM puck? Is it chromed?

For the same reason they replace the stock, forearm, mag etc. To be 922R Compliant. And the puck is one of the cheapest parts too.

My new RandR targets tactical gun would not cycle the federal bulk packs reliably. I dropped in a v-plug....a little better but still a couple FTEs per mag. Dropped in a KA puck and what do you know. Not a single FTE in the last 200 or so rounds!!!!! The KA puck helped me out with slightly undergassed gun. YMMV

For the same reason they replace the stock, forearm, mag etc. To be 922R Compliant. And the puck is one of the cheapest parts too.

Doesnt the gas plug, stock, rail, trigger group and muzzle break take care of all the 922 R??? I didnt even mention a US made stick or drum that counts as three.

Doesnt the gas plug, stock, rail, trigger group and muzzle break take care of all the 922 R??? I didnt even mention a US made stick or drum that counts as three.

Gas plug is not a 922R countable part. I don't believe the thread protector that is in place when imported is counted as a "muzzle device" according to 922R, in which case the brake wouldn't count either. Many people don't like to depend on magazines to be in compliance with the law.

Gas plug is not a 922R countable part. I don't believe the thread protector that is in place when imported is counted as a "muzzle device" according to 922R, in which case the brake wouldn't count either. Many people don't like to depend on magazines to be in compliance with the law.

The muzzle device does count as an additional part..

..however the threaded cap counts as a foreign part...

...so it brings the count from 14 to 15...so you can either remove it, or replace it...but it really doesn't affect the overall numbers...

And the gas piston does count as a 922r compliant part....the gas plug does not...there is a difference between the two, even though the terms are often interchanged and thus confused

Edited by Xitesmai

...so it brings the count from 14 to 15...so you can either remove it, or replace it...but it really doesn't affect the overall numbers...

And the gas piston does count as a 922r compliant part....the gas plug does not...there is a difference between the two, even though the terms are often interchanged and thus confused

Do you have a source for the defnitive answer on the thread protector? Last I read, the thread protector's 922R status had been heavily debated, but there was no solid answer. Perhaps something has changed since last I looked.

Yes, the piston/puck are not the same thing as the plug. That's why I stated in my post that the plug does not count towards 922R.

Edited by jswledhed

Do you have a source for the defnitive answer on the thread protector? Last I read, the thread protector's 922R status had been heavily debated, but there was no solid answer. Perhaps something has changed since last I looked.

Yes, the piston/puck are not the same thing as the plug. That's why I stated in my post that the plug does not count towards 922R.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530