gas piston and conversion

i finaly started doing my conversion! i ordered the parts from tapco but havent goten them yet, but i already started doing the conversion work. i removed the old fire controll group, floor plate, and moved the trigger guard up. every thing has gone smoothly so far. the hardest part was actuly getting a screw in the mag realease to re mount the trigger guard. verry easy so far.

but i was wondering what all is involved in replacing the piston (you get a free one from tapco with the fcg/ pg combo). i know how to drill out the old pin but where do i get a new pin (for cheap, ie. not online)?

also ive had my eye on the folding skeleton stock for the ak 74. looks like it could be riveted in. any one have experience on these? or know where to get a non folding skeleton stock of the same style?

Hey, PM me, I have some stock left over stainless steel rod (316),

1/8 and 1/16 of an inch I can ship you couple of inches to make pins, tell me

what you want 1/8 or 1/16 of and inch, you pay shipping.

SaigaShooter use it on his conversion; ask him about size he uses.

Replacing the piston is super easy, you need 2 cobalt drill bits 1\16" (3/32" also works) and a 5/32", and a piece of 1/16" thick stainless steel rod.

***This may not be the right way to do it, but it's worked for me on two Saigas***

Drill out the peened area on the carrier with the 5/32" bit, and remove the piston from the carrier. This requires alot of WD-40, and maybe a rubber mallet.

With the piston out, clean out any crap in the threads on the carier.

Screw in the new piston in and make sure everything looks right. Unscrew the piston, and put some thread locker on the threads, now screw it back in.

Get a 1/16" (3/32" also works) cobalt drill bit and drill through the piston. You might want to use a press, because the hole has to be perfectly straight through the piston.

Now take your piece of stainless steel rod and put it into the hole through the piston. now peen one end over so it fills in the area you drilled out of the carrier.

Turn the carrier over, and repeat on the other side.

At this point, you can either weld over the new pin like I did (because I'm paranoid) or leave it as is.

Finish the carrier with whatever you want (paint, marker, cold blue)

An alternative way I've heard of is, putting in the new piston with thread locker, and mashing the threads with a nail set through the hole in the carrier. To me, this seems unsafe, but thats just me.

If you'd like, I have some rod left over that was sent to me by Vjor, which I can send to you.