Attended a little pow wow with the local gun owners yesterday. Had a great time until the very end. As the sun began to set, my dark glasses started making it harder to see. So I decided, what the hell, I'll fire a few rounds without them. All was good until suddenly...Bam!....ahhhh..something hit my eye! At first I thought sand had gotten into my eye, but it really stung badly and coincided directly with a round being fired. Since I was basically 30 miles from the nearest bathroom with a mirror, I didn't have a chance to look at my eye until I got home. That's when I discovered I had a spot on my eye. At first I thought it was metal impacted on the cornea and called a doctor I know. He said, go see the eye doctor tomorrow. So today, I wake up and it's gone! I'm very relieved, but my eye still felt funny. So I scheduled an appointment anyway. When I finally see the eye doctor, I explained to him how I thought I had a piece of metal in my eye. He looked at it through the slit lamp and said, no metal, powder burn. I was surprised to say the least. Apparently, some powder got sprayed back towards me and managed to burn a small part of my cornea. The doctor said it was okay, and to simply keep my eye hydrated for at least three days until it completely heals.

So, to the rest of you guys out there, wear your safety glasses when you are at the range at all times. I'm very lucky the burn was not directly in front of my cornea, but slightly off center, or it could have resulted in temporary vision problems.

• Like 5

Attended a little pow wow with the local gun owners yesterday. Had a great time until the very end. As the sun began to set, my dark glasses started making it harder to see. So I decided, what the hell, I'll fire a few rounds without them. All was good until suddenly...Bam!....ahhhh..something hit my eye! At first I thought sand had gotten into my eye, but it really stung badly and coincided directly with a round being fired. Since I was basically 30 miles from the nearest bathroom with a mirror, I didn't have a chance to look at my eye until I got home. That's when I discovered I had a spot on my eye. At first I thought it was metal impacted on the cornea and called a doctor I know. He said, go see the eye doctor tomorrow. So today, I wake up and it's gone! I'm very relieved, but my eye still felt funny. So I scheduled an appointment anyway. When I finally see the eye doctor, I explained to him how I thought I had a piece of metal in my eye. He looked at it through the slit lamp and said, no metal, powder burn. I was surprised to say the least. Apparently, some powder got sprayed back towards me and managed to burn a small part of my cornea. The doctor said it was okay, and to simply keep my eye hydrated for at least three days until it completely heals.

So, to the rest of you guys out there, wear your safety glasses when you are at the range at all times. I'm very lucky the burn was not directly in front of my cornea, but slightly off center, or it could have resulted in temporary vision problems.

Glad to hear you and your eye will be fine.

I've had a couple similar experiences.

I've felt a sharp sting a couple times, separately, on my cheek and my upper lip that coincided with the firing of my S12.

I always wondered what it was, and I just figured it was maybe some plastic from the shot shell coming loose and hitting me when the bolt came back.

This makes a lot more sense and the pain was more reminiscent of a burning rather than impact.

Thanks for the warning and info, DLT.

Anyone care to share info on how/from where, specifically, the powder/gas can come from at the butt end of a S12/Saiga?

Glad to hear its not serious,

I had a near miss with a 45acp +P casing - did not get the eye but burned the skin on the side of my face a little.

Always keep extra shooting glasses in my bag now.

Also - helps to know how worn a pistols extractor is before you shoot it.

Edited by mark mallek

I always have my prescription glasses on when shoot, which are impact resistant. Without them I couldn't even make out the bullseye. I have taken a few burns one when a .223 round landed in the fold of my arm and had a .22lr land right next to my eye. Its fun to get a couple burn scars but not looe an eye.:smoke:

There's an acronym I picked up from motorcycling: ATGATT. All the gear, all the time. While I don't have as much safety gear an I like for riding (I do wear a jacket, helmet, and gloves all the time), I do always wear eye and ear protection on the range.

I hope your eye feels better soon.

Glad your'e alright DLT,(and everyone else).

This is why I tend to shrug off getting Lasik. I get crap bounceing off my Safety Glass perscription glasses ALL the time when trimming/shoeing. Why get them fixed when I'd still need to wear glasses most of the time anyway. I'll spend the money on....other stuff, :angel:

AGREED!!

I had two birdhot pellets ricochet and come back into my eye. Luckily my eyelid stopped them for the most part, but I could have very easily lost my eye:

eyelidpic2.jpg

Hey Corbin, I am glad you didn't loose your eye! But I am curious to know if you where shooting steel shot when that happened?

You gotta wear eyepros folks! You can get rated ones fairly cheap at Wallyworld if you don't want to invest in Oakley, Revision, or Wiley-x. Glad everyone in this post is ok with their experiences.

wow, that was a close call.

Im a metal fabricater and I always use a face sheild along with safety glasses. I had a peice of metal hit my vest, bounce up my face sheild bounced off my cheek and landed in my eye. Luckily I was able to get it out with no injury. My point is always run full safe cause crap happens.

Vince @ msp fabrication

We were issued Oakley M frames, ESS ICE, and two types of Wiley-X in the military for eyepro in the desert. The lenses in the Oakleys are more of a pain to swap than the ESS. One type of Wiley-x fog up pretty bad, we called they Foggy-Xs.

While I'm no fashion idol, I like to keep it simple with my eye protection. Cheap, wraparound glasses are my usual fare. Harbor Freight will have them on sale for $1 some times, which is not bad considering they're going to be getting scratched up in my range bag anyway. Recently however, I've taken a liking to Pyramex Cortez glasses, which cost a few bucks more but have a more comfortable nosepiece.

I have to wear safety glasses (among a crap ton of other PPE) every hour of every day at work. I wear the same glasses while shooting, as i use at work.

This the style i use, they are cheap and comfortable. You should be able to find them in amber shade as well.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/crews1-checklite.html

I also agree in using ATGATT. Gloves, glasses and ear protection while shooting.

Guys ;

I work on the contact lens business .Specifically in prosthetics.

i saw a lot of things on a daily basis.When you purchase eye protection ,go for the best that you can afford.

Oakley's are great because you don't feel them when you have them on,they don't fog much and they look cool.

If we spend thousands on ammo and firearms we haveto spend a few extra bucks on a good pair of good glases.

just my humble opinion

Sorry about your accident. I learned a long time ago you can't "cheat the monkey". I know from my experience the one time I would try and not wear my glasses, something would happen. I would also like to suggest that safety glasses should always have side shields and be ANSI rated as a must. Be careful and be safe. Remember accidents are preventable.

Yakdung

From a professional standpoint, what makes Oakleys safety glasses better than cheapo safety glasses?

I try to buy quality stuff when it comes to personal protection devices. Cheap safety glasses might have a bad lense pour where it can screw your eyes up after time or just ive you migraines. Partial perscription I like to call it.

When shooting outdoors I don't have to swap shades. Run what you brung.

0.jpg

plus they seem to be well tested. Can't really say that with a $1 set of safety glasses.

Vince @ MSP Fabrication

Edited by quick

We were issued Oakley M frames, ESS ICE, and two types of Wiley-X in the military for eyepro in the desert. The lenses in the Oakleys are more of a pain to swap than the ESS. One type of Wiley-x fog up pretty bad, we called they Foggy-Xs.

Yeah, the Romer II's fog quite a bit and they like to slide.

From a professional standpoint, what makes Oakleys safety glasses better than cheapo safety glasses?

Warranty. I've sent a few pair in that broke and they were quick to replace/repair them and ship back to me while I was deployed.