Quick Aquisition Scope for Saiga 7.62x39

If I want a scope that will hit well from 25-150yds that would be easy. But which kinds lend themselves to longer eye relief and quicker targeting on a 16" saiga x39 rifle? Most all scopes ive ever looked thru were not as intuitive as I would have liked, but most were made for deer hunting and were under 40 dollars. Do I have many options that are between 60 and 100 dollars? Something low enough powered that it picks up targets close, but can go to 7 or 9 power if need be. Also something thats short, with a bigger lens in the rear. as you can definately tell im not an optics guy, I read the optics forum here and alot of it is greek to me. Any advice would be great.

Agreed.

A 2x7 Weaver would probably suit what you're looking for. Personally, I don't go over 4x with my Saiga 7.62x39, but that's me. I'm running a Millett 1x4 red dot/circle on a side QD mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Do AKs inherently need a 'beefier' scope. Or will any old simmons or bushnell for 50$ be alright? I ask because ive heard that some guys cant keep their scopes zeroed on an AK rifle, due to the shock in the reciever when cycling. I have installed a recoil buffer, would that help, It seems to really cut down on reciever slap. Also how do I know if my scope mount will allow me to use my Iron sights? Thats important to me.

Edited by Boomsick42

I'd recommend a POSP 4x24 side rail scope. They are designed for AK's and work very well, you can pick them up at Kalinka for about $160 (look for the Simonovo reticule, AK mount version).

One of the reasons people have problems with zero is they often use really cheap scopes and probably more often use craptacular side mounts that don't work very well.

A good mount like the Belorussian BP02 or KVar's KV04 are considered the best side rail mounts but they are both fairly expensive at $60-90 each. By the time you add in a cheap optic with a good rail you are close to the price of a 4x24 anyway and still haven't removed all the variables of losing zero.

You can still use irons with a 4x24 POSP too which is nice. They are made in Belorus by BELOMO/Zenit and are really tough scopes that will last much longer than most of the budget Western optics on the market. IMO it's worth the extra hundred bucks or so and if you don't like it you can sell it for basically what you paid for it.

If you really want something quick I think a decent red dot is going to be a better choice than a magnified optic, red dots were designed for speed.

POSP 4x24

SGL3161PolyFolderPOSP4x24.JPG

Simov Reticule

4x24POSPReticuleSimonov.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1

Very nice. A little pricey, but im sure worth it.

Pricey... for a scope?

Guess you've never heard of Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, or Zeiss.

No kidding!

Well sure ive heard of them, never given any a second glance though.

Pricey for me, but from what I gather, not for some. Schmitd bender, the crystal company and zeiss probably will never get my business. I would be very happy to be able to buy a 160 dollar scope. I wont let shooting affect paying my bills, although I wish I didnt have to worry about such things. Maybe one of you can find me a 50,000+yr job so I can compete.

How about some scopes under 100? I would love the belarus setup, and Im sure its excellent. The nitrex is in my range, after the rebate.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1

Very nice. A little pricey, but im sure worth it.

Pricey... for a scope?

Guess you've never heard of Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, or Zeiss.

No kidding!

Well sure ive heard of them, never given any a second glance though.

Pricey for me, but from what I gather, not for some. Schmitd bender, the crystal company and zeiss probably will never get my business. I would be very happy to be able to buy a 160 dollar scope. I wont let shooting affect paying my bills, although I wish I didnt have to worry about such things. Maybe one of you can find me a 50,000+yr job so I can compete.

How about some scopes under 100? I would love the belarus setup, and Im sure its excellent. The nitrex is in my range, after the rebate.

I drive a school bus and make basically nothing.

I still consider $400 and under going "cheap" on optics. I'm just glad the POSP series is available, otherwise we'd be stuck with trash from the no name section. Only cheap "trash section" scopes I know have good image quality are simmons but they're still over $100 I believe.

Have you considered taking $25 out every paycheck and placing it in a can, eventually saving up for something worth spending money on? It's a lot smarter than buying the cheapest thing you can find. Setting fire to $100 bills is for people who make $50k a year, for the rest of us we need to spend money wisely and get something that lasts. No, it doesn't have to last world war 3, but it's usually a good thing that it can survive a few range visits. Something like a BSA generally will not, I had a 22LR stevens break the glass out of a BSA scope.

Edited by Tombs

I am spending $400 on a SS 10x42M scope for my converted Saiga .223 . It is not a fast adquisition scope . After a lot of research I have chosen this scope that will get me most of the performance of a much more expensive scope , but would still cost me $400 . That , plus another $100 for the K-var side mount and adding the rings, is a $570 scenario . I cut have gone for the Kalinka 8x42D , but I don`t like the AK type Kalinka mount (I prefer the K-var type , which is like an SVD type of mount , but for AKs and Saigas) , so I had no choice ... it will cost me , but I will have what I want . A cheap Wal-mart scope is the fastest way to render a good rifle useless ... that is very unfortunately, but true.

Edited by josey88

Scope and quick acquisition don't really play nice together... if you want quick acquisition, get a red dot, preferably an open sight like an expensive Kobra or what I've found, a RS-34 red dot. Buy a UTD side mount with it and you're looking at 130 to 150 for what I deem a very nice red dot.

EDIT

The price of this dot is now hovering around 200... ATN makes a similar red dot , but definitely clunker and not as "up-to-date" as the RS-34... I was able to snag both the mount and dot for $125... guess I got lucky.

Edited by WhoDat504

Quick acquisition is relative to how far out you want to be on target quickly with...

Indoors, sure a red dot. Outside, a low-medium power scope is going to be much faster. Get a proper cheek weld fast and repeatably, and a scope will treat you a lot better on average than a red dot will.

Remember, high power optics can still be used at close to medium range pretty quickly. Shoot both eyes open, and you'll eventually figure out how it works. So far, an 8 power scope at 15 yards is usable for me in a have-to situation, and still fast. I guess it would depend a lot on your eyes too.