Mags for 7.62x39

The best magazines available are the SGM Tactical (formerly Surefire Gun Mags)

New guy here...what kind of magazines can I use on my Saiga 7.62x3,9 if I decided not to install a bullet guide? Thx :unsure:

Agreed. Stay away from the Promags. Mine would not work without a bullet guide. They are advertised as Saiga specific, but do not have a bullet ramp like the SGM's or factory mags.

New guy here...what kind of magazines can I use on my Saiga 7.62x3,9 if I decided not to install a bullet guide? Thx :unsure:

+1000 on the SGM Tactical (Surefire). I just received my first Saiga and its a great Mag :killer:

I will say that my FAVORITE AK mag is a Polish military polymer. It has front and rear steel lugs and re-eforced lips. They are VERY hard to find (I only have two). They are marked only with a "1" on the bottom and "7,62x39" on the top. They are as tough as Circle 10, but look like the holy grail of AK mags, Polymer 30 round Izzies! The commercial Polish "Radom" mags with the re-enforced front lugs are good too. I have about 8 or 10 of them.

Edited by imarangemaster

If doesn't have a bullet guide go with the surefire mags. They are the best for the stock saiga in any caliber including the shotguns. My buddy got a "good deal" on 3 promags at the gun show and 1 of them works reliably and the other 2 are junk.

• 1 month later...

I have heard of guys building up the 'feed lip' with epoxy on a regular ak mag to work in a saiga. You would still have to file down your mag catch. so doing this would make the saiga specific mags you have not work, unless you take some material off them to ft your filed mag catch. Ive only seen it, never done it and cant be sure of there dependablity.

Im in your same boat, I only have two mags, my factory 10 and a clear SGM 30. Im waiting to stock up after I do the full mag conversion, sometime this decade. If you arent 922 compliant with your factory mag get a follower and floorplate from ak builder.