Though my experience with the product is geared more toward the SKS version, it may still be applicable. A very low mounting red dot like a TRS-25 or Primary Arms micro would have been just the trick instead of the big, tall crappy red dots I'd had.

Does anybody have input on the AK scoutscope? Seems the rear sight base is a SOLID base to mount a red dot. Does it really sit too high?

I know about the TWS Gen 2, but I'm not sold. Also don't like the bulky -ness of the side mount. And ultimak does not want to dip in the saiga 308 market.

Recomendations please..

What bulkyness? About the most streamlined and accurate way to put any kind of sight on. The side rail is aligned to your barrel, making it even more the best choice.

Red dot up front? Sure, but don't replace your rear sight. Use the rear sight until you can get gas tube rail. Just remember, unless you're dropping serious coin on a red dot, you're buying a tube without any sort of reticle unless there's good batteries in it. So you absolutely need some sort of backup. I don't even like running an aimpoint without iron backups.