Saiga 7.62x39 Basic conversion

Hello everybody,

I plan on purchasing a Saiga 7.62x39 this summer as my first gun. However, I don't trust myself to attempt to convert it. Is anybody in the central Virginia area willing to do a conversion to accept standard AK mags, a pistol grip, and folding stock? Let me know with price estimates! Thanks for looking.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but nearly everyone on this board will tell you to go ahead and try it yourself.

It really isn't very complicated and most of the individuals who felt like you do and tried it on his/her own ended up saying that it was surprisingly easy.

Really, go for it on your own. Look up info on the board here and if you can't find answers, post questions and there are plenty of people very knowledgeable and willing to help at any point along the way in your conversion.

But if not, that's okay too. Good luck!

I agree with jbru. Do it your self! I had virtually zero firearm experience before i bought my saiga about 3 minths ago.

I just converted trigger group (including bho) and pistol grip part last week. As everyone else will tell you its much easier than it initially looks! Watch a couple videos online, read some instructions, and take your time.

Plus there really prob isn't a much better way to learn your way around your new rifle.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been curious about this to, as I guess most people who buy a saiga would like to convert it to a normal one.

In relation to your topic, I was wondering how much a basic conversion of a saiga 7.62 would cost doing it yourself(all additional parts included, while doing the labor yourself) vs. having someone else doing it(the average/normal price that most people may charge...including parts)?

I've been curious about this to, as I guess most people who buy a saiga would like to convert it to a normal one.

In relation to your topic, I was wondering how much a basic conversion of a saiga 7.62 would cost doing it yourself(all additional parts included, while doing the labor yourself) vs. having someone else doing it(the average/normal price that most people may charge...including parts)?

Look at atlanticarms.com and check out the red jacket conversion. That is the cost of a professional converting a saiga to its basic form. You could save close to 200 bucks doing it yourself!

Look at atlanticarms.com and check out the red jacket conversion. That is the cost of a professional converting a saiga to its basic form. You could save close to 200 bucks doing it yourself!

I have looked it at myself, in fact I was considering buying it already converted red jacket, but I didn't know how much it would just cost and if it was just worth it to have the converted one from redjacket actually.

I have looked it at myself, in fact I was considering buying it already converted red jacket, but I didn't know how much it would just cost and if it was just worth it to have the converted one from redjacket actually.

Hard time following what you just wrote :cryss:, but if you do it yourself, you save roughly $200. That means that you have enough cash left to thread the end of your barrel (which the red jacket conversion does not have... at least the one I am referring to), buy a muzzle brake, buy about 4 mags and ammo (at least 200 - 500 rounds)...

Sorry I was trying to type that while catching the transit and ran out the door. But yeah, you pretty much got what I meant. I was curious to know which one costed more(converting it yourself, or just paying $200 for the redjacket conversion). I didn't know that parts were so cheap, I figured that after buying the parts and doing the labor it would be almost the same but then again I haven't looked at everything yet.

Hard time following what you just wrote :cryss:, but if you do it yourself, you save roughly $200. That means that you have enough cash left to thread the end of your barrel (which the red jacket conversion does not have... at least the one I am referring to), buy a muzzle brake, buy about 4 mags and ammo (at least 200 - 500 rounds)...