last round bolt lock/mag well/ or both

As the competition season nears, I for one have been giving my guns an upgrade, not wanting to be caught flat footed with all the advances in the Saiga while I've been dealing with personal issues. I want to come back and hit the ground running.

The draw back to a mag well is the fact that I will not be able to use my drum. To get the magazine capacity of the drum I'd need one of those John Holms looking 20 round sticks. Also I'm not sure if the double stack mags will work with a magazine well. There there is my Russian 8 round mags which I normally use for slugs. So I'm pondering the last round bolt lock when mine shows up in the mail I'll install it and that will make my rock and lock mag change so much easier I'm wondering if I need a magazine well or not.

Currently I have both the Mag Well and LRBHO on order.

• Like 1

One thought is that a magwell facilitates "tactical reloads" which are done when the bolt is closed. While a LRBHO would make "emergency reloads," with the bolt locked back easier, it alone would do nothing for tactical reloads. I'm not sure if they are mutually exclusive but for my uses both would be best. For competition which was better might depend on the stage in question and what kind of mag changes were required and when.

I would rather have the LRBHO than the mag well because I can rock and lock the mags fast, but I hate having to pull the charging handle all the way to chamber a new round it seems much faster with the bolt already back to chamber a round.

• 1 year later...

As the competition season nears, I for one have been giving my guns an upgrade, not wanting to be caught flat footed with all the advances in the Saiga while I've been dealing with personal issues. I want to come back and hit the ground running.

The draw back to a mag well is the fact that I will not be able to use my drum. To get the magazine capacity of the drum I'd need one of those John Holms looking 20 round sticks. Also I'm not sure if the double stack mags will work with a magazine well. There there is my Russian 8 round mags which I normally use for slugs. So I'm pondering the last round bolt lock when mine shows up in the mail I'll install it and that will make my rock and lock mag change so much easier I'm wondering if I need a magazine well or not.

Currently I have both the Mag Well and LRBHO on order.

where are you getting your LRBHO from I've been looking all over for one with no luck. I've got the Krebs BHO notched safety but its not ideal.

I would either get one or the other.

Use your rock n lock with lrbho or a magwell with no lrbho.

Me personally,the magwell is very easy to load on a closed bolt.

There should really be no reason to need a lrbho on a stage.

If your running the gun dry before you reload,something went wrong.

Also with the lrbho,its just one more thing that can snafu and blow your match.

• 10 months later...

I wanna buy jacks mag well. The olny thing holding me back is every one is sold out of sgm 10 and 12rd mags. The only mags I have are the factory 5 and 2 promag 20rd drums. The magwell is olny good to me if I have mags for it. Plus there are no 20rd sticks on the market. Who knows if there ever will be. Olny reason I like the drums is its 20rds.id much rather have a stick mag. Its not in the way like a drum. Any how the magwell looks like its least amount of work and most amount of benifit if you have mags for it. I think ill buy jacks magwell and put it off to the side till I can get some mags.then see if I can mod my drums if not ill sell them and buy more mags when I can get them.

Old thread, not sure any of these guys will respond. But I do agree with you, now is not the time to be changing from rock'n lock to magwell magazines. Thanks to the political climate magwell magazines have been the last to come back in stock and for the most part they haven't yet. If your insistent you can always modify certain rock'n locks to work with certain magwells. Research required!

When you say jack's are you refering to JTE? You can always consider OEM or even going with the molot. They take interchangeable magazines which helps now that the vepr-12 is on the scene.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter