Conversion complete...help me sight her in.

All done. Bullet ramp in. FSB drifted on & indexed as close as I could get. EOTech 512 and TWS dogleg enroute.

First, I wanna try to sight in the irons.

I've dubbed my AKM "Natalia" after a rather fine, fine lookin' woman I know from Sevastopol, Ukraine.

I need some help sighting her in. I used a laser bore sight cartridge indoors, and from about 15-18' the dot is low and left a bit. Looks to me like I need to screw down the front site pin almost all the way down (....remember I transferred this sight pin from my old FSB) however I don't have a tool to safely do so or adjust L & R.

Is there a DIY for this anywhere? I managed to screw down the front pin with some needle noses.....but I ain't risking it further.

I'm going crazy NOT shooting this gun.

Didn't your rifle come with a cleaning kit? The thing that looks vaguely like a screwdriver has a notched end made to adjust the front sight pin vertically.

If you have a vise or c-clamp and a socket you can adjust for windage. It's not ideal, but it works.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the boresighter. My 308 definitely doesn't put the bullets where the laser says it should go. I don't know why, but the windage the boresighter shows is pretty far off.

• Like 1

Didn't your rifle come with a cleaning kit? The thing that looks vaguely like a screwdriver has a notched end made to adjust the front sight pin vertically.

If you have a vise or c-clamp and a socket you can adjust for windage. It's not ideal, but it works.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the boresighter. My 308 definitely doesn't put the bullets where the laser says it should go. I don't know why, but the windage the boresighter shows is pretty far off.

Yeah I do have the cleaning kit...forgot about that. Cool you just saved me some ducats. I can also do the DIY press thing with a C clamp and small socket....should work fine. More goofily is the fact that we have to straighten our FSBs ourselves, the gas block, etc. I just hope it shoots straight, slap the dogleg on her and a Trij scope/EOTech and get them piggies.

Maybe the boresighting cartridge is just not a perfect fit in the barrel, and thus some wobble magnifies over distance. I'm going to check it again at 25m just to see.....

Edited by alex e

Keep in mind that the barrel is below your sights. Bullets travel in an arc, but line of sight travels in a straight line. To sight in at 100 meters/yards, you can sight in at 25 meters/yards. This is because the bullet intersects the line of sight at 25 meters on its way up, then intersects it again at 100 meters on its way down.

Because the bullet is being "lobbed" from below your sights, but a laser is not, your laser will only intersect your line of sight once. It should be low at 5-8 feet.

Fun fact: If you sight your rifle in at 2 yards, the bullet won't come back down to your second zero until ~875 yards, and will still be about 20 feet high at 500 yards. http://www.handloads...calc/index.html

At 25 meters, it should be close to where your bullet will hit (assuming your laser isn't screwy).

Edited by Dudethebagman
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the barrel is below your sights. Bullets travel in an arc, but line of sight travels in a straight line. To sight in at 100 meters/yards, you can sight in at 25 meters/yards. This is because the bullet intersects the line of sight at 25 meters on its way up, then intersects it again at 100 meters on its way down.

Because the bullet is being "lobbed" from below your sights, but a laser is not, your laser will only intersect your line of sight once. It should be low at 5-8 feet.

Fun fact: If you sight your rifle in at 2 yards, the bullet won't come back down to your second zero until ~875 yards, and will still be about 20 feet high at 500 yards. http://www.handloads...calc/index.html

At 25 meters, it should be close to where your bullet will hit (assuming your laser isn't screwy).

Ouch! Too much math! ;-)