5.45 Izhmash Gear

Hey guys and gals!

I am new to the forums and this is my first post. I just wanted to say that I have taken the plunge into the AK-74 Market. I trying to decide between the SGL31-94 and the SGL31-62 Plum standard model. I really like them both and think the plum is rather neat. Any recommendations would be nice. But to get back on track. I have some SUPER nice Izhmash Bakelite and Dark Plum 5.45x39 magazines. I mean they are in perfect condition with all the markings and proofs. I also have a perfect Izhmash Dark Plum Bayonet. My question is, being new, would you guys use these or just save them for collectors reasons? They are the only mags that I have at the moment. There are a total of eight mags. Four each. To be honest, I am leaning towards the plum SGL31-62 just to match up with all the nice Dark Plum accessories that I have. That dark plum "black" is a nice color. However, the black SGL31-94 would go just as well with all the accessories and the bakelites as well. Any thoughts, opinions, and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

Just FYI, modern AK74M rifles are black polymer and don't use plum or bakelite accessories, so this is all kind of a moot point as far as correctness goes.

Since the SGL31 is a 74M pattern rifle you should probably just use what you thinks good. While not 'correct', SGL's have a natural way of looking good with plum or laminate and it's cheaper to change furniture on one rifle than buy a seperate 'period correct' rifle for each era of AK74 production :)

I'd say put the nicest accessories aside and use the rest of it, or spend a few extra bucks and buy some cheap 'Bulgarian' 5.45 mags (which are actually Russian mags with the markings ground off and then painted black). That way you'd have some serviceable field mags and the nicer stuff would stay nice.

If you get the SGL31-62 you might want to switch to real Russian plum, everything matches better ;)

SGL31_Plum_011.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

Just FYI, modern AK74M rifles are black polymer and don't use plum or bakelite accessories, so this is all kind of a moot point as far as correctness goes.

Since the SGL31 is a 74M pattern rifle you should probably just use what you thinks good. While not 'correct', SGL's have a natural way of looking good with plum or laminate and it's cheaper to change furniture on one rifle than buy a seperate 'period correct' rifle for each era of AK74 production :)

I'd say put the nicest accessories aside and use the rest of it, or spend a few extra bucks and buy some cheap 'Bulgarian' 5.45 mags (which are actually Russian mags with the markings ground off and then painted black). That way you'd have some serviceable field mags and the nicer stuff would stay nice.

If you get the SGL31-62 you might want to switch to real Russian plum, everything matches better ;)

SGL31_Plum_011.JPG

Wow, that is a gorgeous rifle!!! Thanks for the reply brother. Yea, that is what I am looking for, I found the original Russian plum furniture for the AK-74, but then I wouldn't be 922r I do not think. Or is the 922r mainly for rifle makers, importers, and sellers? Thanks again.

Z

Hey Z,

I just ordered a PO 3.5x21P Illuminated scope from Eastwave. The one that was on their webpage looks different than the ones I have seen in other photos. I hope the one I am getting is centered over the boreline of the rifle. I also did not see such a big battery compartment. I am wondering if the picture they have posted is old or of not the correct type. Dmitry there assured me that it was correct and illuminated. So maybe that's the wrong picture or they use a different battery now. I get so nervous when ordering from foreign entities. 8) Here is the scope. http://www.eastwavescope.com/index.php?event=description&gr_1=8&item=67&lang=en I think you have one or have used one. They like like a real nice piece of glass with a super large fov. It seems a little busy, but I kind of like that. A lot of BDC for the close work. Everything from 100-1000 meters. I hope the reticle is accurate and comes with instructions in English so that wasy I get the most out of the optic. Like how to determine moving object, and wind holds, on targets. Range estimation feature. So on and so forth. After looking around the internet, it seems like everyone gives nothing but praise to the Po3.5x21P. Sorry for all the replies, questions, and other goodness. Thanks again!

SGL31's have 7 compliance parts out of the box and it's probably best if you ensure the rifle is still compliant after you change furniture.

What I did was use a Tapco G2 FCG (3), US brake that it comes with (1) and then installed US floor plates and followers in my mags for two additional parts. K-Var has the floorplates for the polymer mags and there is a member over on AR15.com that makes the US followers. With the 6 parts I listed I am able to use all Russian furniture on both my SGL31's. You can leave the Arsenal FCG in place but personally I feel the G2 is smoother and a better trigger, I have it on most of my AK's

The PO 3.5 is an extremly good optic and IMO has the best optical quality of any PSO or POSP series scope I've used and they are centered over the bore. A couple other combloc optic collectors have mentioned the same thing. The optic you linked to does not have an illuminated reticule and that's why the batter compartment looks different, it doesn't have one. If Dmitry said the one you are getting is illuminated then you should be good to go, I've done a lot of business with him over the years and he's a straight shooter. Check the optics thread for pics of the 5.45 reticule version and the 7.62 reticule version, but basically one says AK74 and the other says AKM or AKM-C at the top right of the FOV

Excellent choice on the PO btw, it's probably one of the easiest to get familiar with, just get used to people at the range asking you if it's a night vision optic...it is rather large :)

Speaking of PO 3.5 and plum

PO3.5SGL31_PO3.5x21P.JPG

Z

SGL31's have 7 compliance parts out of the box and it's probably best if you ensure the rifle is still compliant after you change furniture.

What I did was use a Tapco G2 FCG (3), US brake that it comes with (1) and then installed US floor plates and followers in my mags for two additional parts. K-Var has the floorplates for the polymer mags and there is a member over on AR15.com that makes the US followers. With the 6 parts I listed I am able to use all Russian furniture on both my SGL31's. You can leave the Arsenal FCG in place but personally I feel the G2 is smoother and a better trigger, I have it on most of my AK's

The PO 3.5 is an extremly good optic and IMO has the best optical quality of any PSO or POSP series scope I've used and they are centered over the bore. A couple other combloc optic collectors have mentioned the same thing. The optic you linked to does not have an illuminated reticule and that's why the batter compartment looks different, it doesn't have one. If Dmitry said the one you are getting is illuminated then you should be good to go, I've done a lot of business with him over the years and he's a straight shooter. Check the optics thread for pics of the 5.45 reticule version and the 7.62 reticule version, but basically one says AK74 and the other says AKM or AKM-C at the top right of the FOV

Excellent choice on the PO btw, it's probably one of the easiest to get familiar with, just get used to people at the range asking you if it's a night vision optic...it is rather large :)

Speaking of PO 3.5 and plum

PO3.5SGL31_PO3.5x21P.JPG

Z

That's a fantastic looking rifle... How much does that particular PSO scope typically run?

That's a fantastic looking rifle... How much does that particular PSO scope typically run?

I just purchased one from Eastwave and it's costing me $528 shipped. But it's the real deal coming from Belarus. It's going to take about 2 weeks to receive it.

That's about the going rate and Eastwave is probably the only consistent source that I know of. They do come up from private sellers here and there and you can always check Kalinka.

Z