so I built a pc with my buddy about six months ago and the damn thing started blue screening about three months after the build. Tried reinstalling windows, different version an still the same. Ran memtest, no problems with memory either. Thinking it's hardware since all of my windows installs get corrupted. Any thoughts?

Ps. Ashamed my first thread on a gun forum is about computers haha

If you were overclocking or tinkering with CPU or memory timings, go into the BIOS setup and load the defaults. Go ahead and do that anyway just in case something got hosed in the setup data.

If that's not it, then it's bad RAM or bad hard drive. Maybe overheating CPU if there's a problem with the cooler.

Download the ISO CD image of Memtest86, burn to CD, boot the bad machine with it and let it run for at least three full passes. You really should let it run overnight to find marginal RAM. Any errors at all are unacceptable.

http://www.memtest86.com/

You may be able to fix RAM errors by SLIGHTLY increasing RAM voltage in the BIOS setup if that option is available. Look up the proper RAM voltage specs for the RAM that is installed. Do not max out the voltage or it will burn up the RAM. Ask the manufacturer for help on voltage settings if you need to.

After resetting RAM voltage, run another three loops of Memtest86.

Try installing Linux, Download it to a disk from a working pc. If that don't work, it's probably your mobo or h.d. My gpu just fried today, so I ordered a newer one and a 10,000 rpm h.d. Can't wait.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I did new installs on a different hd as well. i guess i will try installing a bew mobo and pray to bill gates it works. Haha and if this comp didn't cost a grand it would have been wasted by my s12 weeks ago.

Can you post the picture of the BSOD? It usually will reference you where your problem arises. Could be anything...processor, chipset, video card, driver conflicts, memory problems, power supply defect thus voltage drops, overheating etc.

Does it randomly BSODs or during certain applications only (games etc)?

Post your full specs as well.

As for the Linux, I'm not sure what is your level of computer expertise but it might give you more headaches than you have now TBH.

It's still IMHO not to a level where "average Joe" can use it.

ok so here are the specs as far as I can tell

Mobo

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3lr

Processor

Core 2 quad

Gpu

Bfg nvidia gtx ( not sure of actual number)

Memory

Corsair dominator 2x2gb @ 1066mhz ddr2

hd

right now it's a western digital that is non ata. Started out with a sata but the comp bsod with that as well

So essentially when I tried to reformat with windows 7, the windows install is so fucked it won't let me reformat. I am so damned annoyed with this thing.

I had a flaky Gigabyte mobo that had a disk controller or chipset that would just crap out at random (fixed it with similar ASUS mobo). I also agree that it could be a bad PSU, have seen that before too.

Sounds like it's a consistent failure though so you should be able to narrow down possibilities by swapping out parts with another PC. Try loading Windows on just one stick of RAM at a time. If it fails, swap it out for the other stick and try again. Try a PSU from another system.

The drives that got fubared can usually be fixed by using the mfr or third party diag utility. If you "write zeros" to the drive, you should be able to format it again.

Edited by Spartacus

It sounds like Motherboard is probably the problem. If you change it out and the problem doesn't go away, the next thing I would check would be the power supply. I has a PS go out and it was causing all sorts of weird crashes and problems like you describe. If you've tried Memtest and you're still having problems, it's time to try the Hard drive. Get the 'SpinRite' program from GRC (google it), which is the single best hard drive recovery tool short of a state of the art computer forensic lab. Odds are, your problem almost certainly resides in one of these areas.

Before you replace parts I would reinstalll windows and get the most up to date drivers for the mobo. Check the device manager and make sure all of the drivers are working right. Also check your cpu temps with a program like speedfan. A picture of the bsod would give alot more detail about the problem. Also if you can't get it formated use a floppy or thumb drive to format.

Edited by roachtron

0. Set BIOS to factory defaults and save changes.

1. Boot from OS CD . Windoze, Linux, either one.

2. REPARTITION hard drive, the FORMAT all partitions.

3. Reinstall OS.

4. IF you used Windoze to do this and it still BSODs, then repeat using Ubuntu Linux and use default filesystem.

5. Still having problems? Get techie to look at it.