How is the recoil compared to other guns (357, 9mm, etc)? Thanks

the recoil is not that bad, my 357 has more.

i have one of the older hp 45, and it is like a brick in your hand, quite heavy.

but the recoil is not that bad

You are correct. I went ahead and bought one yesterday and tried it out today. I liked it. It lets you know that you have a major player in your hand, but doesn't abuse you. I enjoyed the recoil in fact. I ran through 3 magazines (27 rounds) just to get a feel of the girl. Quite impressed. No failures/jams. Shot near point of aim from what I could tell, but was not really shooting actual target (used an old political sign and milk jug. I did take aim at a pine tree at about 10 yards and scored a near center hit with it but not sure how bad elevation may be off yet. I don't care for the safety on it though. Its positions aren't positive and can easily slide to the other function without realizing it. For $160 out the door, it has replaced the 357 as the gun I will grab first when I hear a bump in the night.

HiPoints might be cheap, but unlike the other cheap brands, they work. Not to mention they're US made and come from a family company who stands behind their products. I won't disuade you from buying a HiPoint, but if I was getting a .45 and had minimal funds, I'd pony up at least $300 and get a Rock Island.

Don't know much about the Hi-Point .45's other than they're pretty cheap to own. My son has one of the 9mm carbines and it's a lot of fun to shoot. I do know the manufacturer stands behind the lifetime warranty no questions asked so I guess thats a good thing. Ergonomically, I think the Hi-Point .45 is atrocious, at least for me anyway. If you have limited funds and you have to own a .45 right away the Hi-Point is probably the best way to go.

However, I agree with Rook I'd save the $300 and get a Rock Island. You can also get the new Llama Max I for about $285 which IMHO is a very fine .45 based on the 1911 style. I bought the Llama Max I at the beginning of the year, took it out a couple weeks ago and ran 100 rounds through it. No FTE, FTF, no problems whatsoever. Excellent pistol and I'm very pleased for my $285.00.

what can i say! i have several handguns and the only one i don't worry about messing up is my hi point.When im out in the woods riding around or whatever i don't have to worry about dropping it or getting it messed up. I have found that it is a reliable firearm in my experience.for the $130 dollars i paid i have more than gotten my money back.Its a damn fine truck or 4-wheeler gun.

just a cheap toy to play with, what else can i say. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

i know of hi points and how great they are as far as reliability and such, if the pistols weren't so damn ugly, i'd probably get one.

i'm sure they could come up with a better design and still be able to utilize their blowback action.

take for instance the carbines. i was playing around with my pic editor program the other night and put different stocks on the rifles.

i was amazed at how better the rifle looked just by changing the buttstock.

i'm sure it can be done, but the little carbine wouldn't look too bad with an ak buttstock on it. with a little work it can be done. but my dad won't let me chop up the 9mm carbine i sold to him. :haha:

doing a complete makeover on a carbine would be a fun little project to get into and you could really make that ugly little rifle look...............cool, actually.

• 1 month later...

if i had my digital camera i could show you guys the fixit job i put on my 9mm carbine

bascially cut off about 5 inch off the end of the hand gaurd, and removed the top heat shield.

i then mounted a barrel clamp flashlight by buying a barrel clamp made for a shotgun and a small flash light... instead now i have a big flashlight on a small carbine barrel.

its still pretty ugly and i have looked at ways of figuring out how to work in a folding stock.... just havent got that all worked out yet

but yeah the carbines are the best bang for buck carbine i have ever shot. and the customer service and warranty are Head and shoulders above other firearm companies

I dont know about the .45 But I had a new Highpoint 9mm for a short period of time. I was very unhappy with it. But it was cheap, so I wasent too upset. here were the major probs.

The safety was nothing more than a bent steel flat piece that blocked the action.

It jammed alot. But after a little ramp work, it cycled ok with everything except hollow points.

It felt flimsy and plastic in my hand, Im not sure why, it just did.

It was not very accurate, but I shoot cheap ammo. so.......

To take it apart, you have to drive a pin out through the side of the gun. Thats not the worst part. To put it back together, you have to hold the gun together while trying to drive the pin back through. <_<

This is the only pic I could find of it.

post-1374-1128546615_thumb.jpg

I am not a big fan of the Highpoint 9mm. But I am still considering buying a 9mm carbine. I got a chance to shoot one at the range last year. It shot nice and felt pretty good. I think modifying it would be fun! Im gonna go look for a forum like ours before I buy one though.

I hope this helps.

Here is WHY these are JUNK...

Because they are LARGE, HEAVY, STUPID ERGONOMIC, BLOW-BACK, STRIKER FIRED, TRIGGGER BLOCK ONLY, ZINC ALLOY, LOUSEY TRIGGER, SUCKY SIGHTS, AMMO JAMMING, CAN'T HIT A BULL IN THE ASS, READY TO BREAK ankors!

The only possible worthwhile use for one as a machine is to maybe use it to unload junk ammo somewhat rapidly. And, that is questionable.

It IS a pretty decent paper weight...but so is a rock (and a rock is a little cheaper -and more reliable).

If you think Pakistani knive rock -buy one of these by all means. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

Lollygagger :unsure:

i like the fact that its big and heavy, if i run out of ammo i can always beat you with it. come on for 130 buck what do you expect!! :angel:

$130? How 'bout...

A CZ 52 that is made of real steel, has a locking action, a hammer, a positive safety & disconnector, a well made mag and a few orher desirable traits as well the fact it should last forever.

Lollygagger :unsure: (but...whatever trips a guys trigger)

As much as I hate to jump on the band wagon, I hafta agree with Lolly. I would much rather have a CZ or Markarov that I could bet my life on, shoot thousands of troublefree and safe rounds through and field strip with the tip of a bullet. The Highpoint is an ok cheapo handgun. Great for targets, but not much more. I dont know about the .45 I had a 9mm.

Just my $.02

man, im taking a beating on this hi-point thing!

alot of people don't like them and i take a lot of crap from my buddies when we go out shooting.maybe i got a good one i don't know but i havn't had any trouble with mine. My buddy got the 9 and it jammed all the time and was a big piece of shit.

which he bitched at me for recommending he buy one.

it's really the only "cheap gun" i own and i use and abuse it that way. LOL

i do like the carbine its a fun little plinker. :angel:

Toad,

Don' sweat it, the Hi-Point is a fine gun for the $$. Those who do most the bashing don't even own one. If you owned one and it jammed on you, then send it back. They have a lifetime no questions asked warranty and they will make it right.

I have a 9 pistol and have never had a problem with it. Over 1000 rounds so far.

I appriciate all kinds fo firearms, from my $5.5K Uzi, to my $99 Hi-Point. Both run 100%, but if i drop the Hi-Point off the bench at the range, i won't cry.

Caspian

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Toad, you're right. You shouldn't have to take a beating on your feelings for owning a .45 Hi-Point. If you've had good luck with the gun and use it as you say for fun and recreation then more power to you and the hell with what anyone else's opinion may be about owning a Hi-Point firearm. Like I said earlier, my son has a 9MM carbine and I can't begin to tell you how much fun I've had shooting that thing. I have nothing against the Hi-Points aside from the ergonomics. I don't like the feel of the Hi-Point but you know you're absolutely right, if you miss with the pistol you can always bash 'em in the head with it once they get close enough and that my friend is all that needs to be said.

Enjoy your Hi-Point and don't let anyone make you feel bad for owning one.

Hey Toad, you're right. You shouldn't have to take a beating on your feelings for owning a .45 Hi-Point. If you've had good luck with the gun and use it as you say for fun and recreation then more power to you and the hell with what anyone else's opinion may be about owning a Hi-Point firearm. Like I said earlier, my son has a 9MM carbine and I can't begin to tell you how much fun I've had shooting that thing. I have nothing against the Hi-Points aside from the ergonomics. I don't like the feel of the Hi-Point but you know you're absolutely right, if you miss with the pistol you can always bash 'em in the head with it once they get close enough and that my friend is all that needs to be said.

Enjoy your Hi-Point and don't let anyone make you feel bad for owning one.

Thank you coastie!! To be honest i don't care what other people think or say if im happy thats all that matters, lol

• 3 weeks later...

someone in here was commenting on the hi-point triggers being crap.....i have not tried them, so i don't know...but i just read in one of the mags....and damn if i can remember which one....handgun magazine maybe?.....there was a review of them....they said that yes they are cheap, but they are accurate and have a much better trigger than one would expect on such an cheap firearm.....

all in all ...the review liked them

I have thought about buying two of the 9mm pistols for the bug out bags for my wife and I......

but i am very interested in the carbine....looks like fun....

someone in here was commenting on the hi-point triggers being crap.....i have not tried them, so i don't know...but i just read in one of the mags....and damn if i can remember which one....handgun magazine maybe?.....there was a review of them....they said that yes they are cheap, but they are accurate and have a much better trigger than one would expect on such an cheap firearm.....

all in all ...the review liked them

I have thought about buying two of the 9mm pistols for the bug out bags for my wife and I......

but i am very interested in the carbine....looks like fun....

Buy the Kel-tec carbine a little more expensive but well worth the extra money.

As for the high point now way would you ever catch me dead with one of those. They are a straight blow-back gun. The only thing that keeps them together is the amount of steel in the slide, otherwise they would blow up. The old saying is you get what you pay for, $150!!! You cannot get a gun that will shoot 100,000+ rounds. Buy a Glock 17,22,20 or better yet buy a Springfield Armory 45 1911-A1. Really nice guns and will last for a lot longer than the Hi-point.