To Just Run MD Arms 20 round Mag....

First off, great site and I love my new S12 :)

Here's the deal. I have this gun:

Saiga 12

The only thing I want to do is be able to legally use the MD Arms 20 round mags. I don't want to do a pistol grip conversion. I don't want to fiddle around with the internals (replace the fire control group). All I want is to replace enough Russian parts with American ones to run those drums. So, with that in mind I planned on replacing the following:

• Butt stock
  • Muzzle Attachment
  • Hand guard

If I then use the MD Arms drum, I would then have the other 2 US parts of mag body and follower to make it 922r compliant per the following site, right?

S12 Compliance

Also, is it correct that the gas puck can be considered the piston and so if I replaced it with a US puck, it'd further reduce my foreign part count?

Thanks in advance!

Isn't the back plate on the drum considered the "floorplate"? Hmmmm....not sure. :unsure:

I believe the puck is what is considered the "piston" on shotguns, though on the rifles, the actual piston is, since they don't have a puck.

Isn't the back plate on the drum considered the "floorplate"? Hmmmm....not sure. :unsure:

I believe the puck is what is considered the "piston" on shotguns, though on the rifles, the actual piston is, since they don't have a puck.

Yeah, with a stick mag it's pretty obvious what part is the floorplate. The drums not so much. I guess I'll choose to err on the side of caution though and only consider the drum body and follower the only compliant parts. OK, good deal on the piston. I can get that, the muzzle attachment, the new hand guard, and I think I'm gtg.

Side question. Is the Tapco puck fine? Seems to be cheap and I have a tapco piston on one of my AK's and it's fine.

from my understanding of this retarded 922 deal the U.S. made mag counts as three U.S. parts. so you would just need to replace one part. most people just replace the puck. i went with the chaos one.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, with a stick mag it's pretty obvious what part is the floorplate. The drums not so much. I guess I'll choose to err on the side of caution though and only consider the drum body and follower the only compliant parts.

If the drum is US made then it doesn't matter if the drum is considered to have a floorplate or not, 922r references how many foreign made parts are on the weapon rather than how many US made parts you've addded, if you remove a part and don't replace it then your count went down. In otherwords by removing the factory mag you've removed 3 foreign parts, and by adding a US made drum you're adding 0 foreign made parts back on.

Still its better to error on the side of caution and the factory 5 rounder is a nice magazine to be able to use, not to mention the magazine is the part that actually gets removed and replaced on a regular basis. Best bet is to have the expectation of still using foreign made magazines. You can easily bring the parts count on a stock threaded saiga from 14 to 10 by doing 4 simple changes without having to do a full conversion, you could do:

• Muzzle Attachment ($35+)
  • Gas Puck/Piston ($10+)
  • Forearm ($45+)
  • Buttstock ($32+)

All of these changes are easy and can pretty much be done with a screwdriver and some loctite, maybe a mallet to remove the factory stock. If you don't go nuts that should cost you about the price of one drum...cheaper if you pick up the parts used. (Pulled prices from CSS, except the puck price is the new MD Arms stainless).

Edited by fauxknight
  • Like 1