loading the Surefire mags

I ordered 5 Surefires 30rds mags for my .223 and I would like to know, since I haven`t used those mags before... are they difficult to load, like the AR-15 Mags ? With my AR-15 `s Magpuls I use the Uplula loader which is a fantastic loader. AK-47s with the 7.62x39 load very easily so no loader is needed , but with my Saiga .223 I don`t know. I will apreciate any information on that and if there is a loader, please post which one so I can obtain it .... thanks

Edited by josey88

I've had no trouble with mine. I have looked for a loader but haven't found one. If you run across one or maybe a stripper clip adapter please do post it here.

I just found out that the Lula loader for AK/Galil will work with the Surefire and the Saiga mags. I read some posts from 2009 that confirm that they work , so I am ordering one.

Edited by josey88

I just found out that the Lula loader for AK/Galil will work with the Surefire and the Saiga mags. I read some posts from 2009 that confirm that they work , so I am ordering one.

That kinda makes sense I guess. Installing a bullet guide and then shooting galils is a fairly common mag solution for .223 owners I think. Honestly I had not given it much thought as though I own some surefires, and have loaded and cycled them a few times I don't shoot with them. I shoot out of the factory mag at the range as it is illegal to mount the 30 rounders in my unmodified rifle. I will be remedying that problem shortly :super: Also the 30 round mags make shooting off the bench problematic.

You know this line of reasoning brought a question to my mind. If I installed a bullet guide (properly) would it interfere with the surefires at all. Looking at the design makes me think not, but wonder if there is empirical evidence to the contrary.

I've had no troubles loading my SureFire 223 mags, even with the ten thumbs I have on my hands. BTW, have you noticed SureFire mags hold 32 rounds?

Holy Snikey's you're right ... they will hold 32. Dang I never heard that or noticed it. The 32nd round is pretty tight though. Must really be compressing the spring. Have you stored any with 32 rounds long term? Just wondering if it would have adverse effects.

If you install a bullet guide, you cannot use the Surefire mags any more.

If you install a bullet guide, you cannot use the Surefire mags any more.

I think you mean you can't use the surefire without removing the bullet guide molded into the mag. In all the pictures I've seen of a trunnion mounted bullet guide (at least a commercially obtained one like the Dinzag) the end of the guide doesn't extend aft of the trunnion itself. Since the bullet guide molded into the mag (the little lip that sticks up) doesn't extend forward of the trunnion (obviously) I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Very worst case is you would simply have to file down the little lip on the mag after installing the guide on the trunnion. At least that's how it looks to me on a cursory examination of the mechanics.

I'm actually interested because when I first bought the rifle it occurred to me that the guide molded into the Saiga mags is a weak link in the system. The little tab appears mechanically weak and could break off I'm guessing under emergency conditions. That could be bad. Also, the tip of many, many rounds scraping over it must eventually wear it off. I mean it's metal against plastic not to mention fairly sharp metal when there is hole in the end of the round.

Do you have some threads you've found during your research that you could annotate here that deal with this question? I sure would hate to throw my surefires away if I install a guide.

Thanks

Theart

Well, that option of filing down the plastic guide on the Surefire mags in order to use them with a bullet guide installed , frankly , I haven`t heard of it , not even once ... logically, it would make sense but all I can read about is that when you install a BG you have to discard your factory mags and the Surefires . You would then be able to use the bulgy and Galil mags. Nothing about being able to use the Surerfires with the guide filed off , so perhaps , that is not a good idea . In my way of thinking (this is just me thinking) , since the bulgy mags cost the same as the Surefire I prefer using the Surefire without the BG . I have ordered a total of 7 mags by now (a chunk of change, I know...) and that is good enough for me . If one of those mags fail in time or break with the continue use, I wil replace the damn thing. 7 loaded mags is 210 rds , that is what I usually shoot on one session at the range with a rifle , so it will work for me. I have made the conversion , except the BG . Somehow , I feel uneasy about it. And, if the Surefire magazines work well with the rifle , I am not about to modify that . Besides, I don`t like the waffle look on those bulgarian magazines , as good as they may be. For the use I will give them and the way I take care of my weapons and magazines, those Surefire will last me a long time.

Edited by josey88

Oh I agree entirely, money isn't the issue really. Of course thrift is a virtue so I personally dislike the idea of discarding even the factory mag, much less my surefires. Really I was more curious in the question from an engineering perspective. By nature, training and habitation, I am interested in mission critical systems design. From that point of view, the bullet guide built into the weapon seems inherently more reliable than the little lip on the front of the mags built specifically for the Saiga. Anyway it is an academic question and I will know for certain when (if) I install the guide.

There is also the subject of the hollow point bullets , that for some reason the bullet guides seem to dislike , according to some research ... so, anyway , please post when you install the bullet guide if the Surefires work with their lips filed off ... Thanks

Holy Snikey's you're right ... they will hold 32. Dang I never heard that or noticed it. The 32nd round is pretty tight though. Must really be compressing the spring. Have you stored any with 32 rounds long term? Just wondering if it would have adverse effects.

I don't store mags to full capacity. I usually download them by 10% for storage. So if it's a 30 mag, I only load them to around 25-27 rounds. I top them off to full cap at the range only.

Filing down a Surefire magazine to fit in with a Dinzag bullet guide is retarded. If you're going to do that, just by Promag magazines. They're a lot less expensive, and you don't have to file anything down. Take your thumb, and the bullet guide on the Promag will snap right off. Why spend $25-$30 for a surefire magazine that you're going to purpose screw up, when you can spend $11-$12 for a Promag that doesn't require screwing up. Simply snap the tab.

As for loading a Surefire magazine, it's real simple. Hold the magazine in one hand, hold a bullet in the other hand, push the bullet down on top of the follower, and you're done. Sorry; but the idea of a speed loader just doesn't make sense. I can load a 30 round Saiga or AR15 magazine as fast as you can load the speedloader. So why would I get a speedloader. It's not like it hurts your finger/thumb like many pistol magazines can do.