ak mags feeding in a saiga without mods to rifle

ok guys i've been doing some thinking and reading and i believe i've come to a conclusion.

adding feedramps to rifles and mags and building up the front of mags all seem to create a potential hazard given time and amount of rounds fired.

i think i've figured a better less hazardous (to rifle and shooter) way.

it may not start out as the cheapest but it's what i would be most comfortable doing.

ak steel mags have the front locking lip spot welded on.

ak mags don't work in a saiga b/c the angle is not great enough to allow the bullet to align with the chamber.

by lowering the locking lip on the mag that would increase the angle at which the mag sits in the gun thus aligning it with the chamber eliminating the need to install ramps and screws and such which over time could break/fragment and fuck up the operation of the gun.

i've located a spot welder for fairly cheap and it should tack the locking lip to the mag body as this is the way they are attached to begin with.

i'm not saying that adding a feedramp is a stupid idea, i'm just offering another option for those like me who would not want to take the chance of something getting loose inside the gun during operation and mess something up.

Problem with that is it's illegal. The saiga was not designed to accept a high capacity military ammunition feeding device. Altering one to work in the Saiga would be illegal. The 30 round Saiga mags get by because they're for some reason considered non military mags that can't be used in a regular AK. Even with that, they give them a hard time getting them in the country.

ok guys i've been doing some thinking and reading and i believe i've come to a conclusion.

adding feedramps to rifles and mags and building up the front of mags all seem to create a potential hazard given time and amount of rounds fired.

i think i've figured a better less hazardous (to rifle and shooter) way.

it may not start out as the cheapest but it's what i would be most comfortable doing.

ak steel mags have the front locking lip spot welded on.

ak mags don't work in a saiga b/c the angle is not great enough to allow the bullet to align with the chamber.

by lowering the locking lip on the mag that would increase the angle at which the mag sits in the gun thus aligning it with the chamber eliminating the need to install ramps and screws and such which over time could break/fragment and fuck up the operation of the gun.

i've located a spot welder for fairly cheap and it should tack the locking lip to the mag body as this is the way they are attached to begin with.

i'm not saying that adding a feedramp is a stupid idea, i'm just offering another option for those like me who would not want to take the chance of something getting loose inside the gun during operation and mess something up.

TWGLADE,

Are you referring to the locking lip on the front of the mag? By lower the catch it changes the feed angle thus raiseing it high enough to allow clean stripping by the bolt carrier and feeding almost directly across into the chamber?

If this works it could help with the .223 which has a significant angle difference when using Galil mags which tend to angle the nose of the bullet downward. Even with a ramp they don't clear the chamber. I have not tried AK 74 mags yet on the .223 to evaluate the angle difference.

Wolverine :smoke:

Problem with that is it's illegal.  The saiga was not designed to accept a high capacity military ammunition feeding device.  Altering one to work in the Saiga would be illegal.  The 30 round Saiga mags get by because they're for some reason considered non military mags that can't be used in a regular AK.  Even with that, they give them a hard time getting them in the country.

From my understanding there's nothing illegal about it as long as you replace the required number of imported parts.

Wolverine the only hi cap mag I have tried so far in my .223 is the 30 rd 5.56x45 waffle mag with the "circle 10" stamp on it. Instead of altering the mag stop on the rifle like I saw someone on here do, I just took a little off the front of the feed lips on the mag to let it go up in there higher and installed a feed ramp. It has functioned flawlessly and locks up tight. Also by taking just enough off the front of the factory 10rd mag to squeeze in behind the feed ramp I can still use it too.

TWGLADF if you round over the back edge of the feed ramp and polish it smooth there is no resistance at all and the rounds just flow right into the breech. On mine I used the feed ramp from K Var. It has a lip on the front edge that fits up under the rear of the chamber and is so tight fitting you have to drive it in and rotate it into place with a punch. Then with a screw tapped into the trunion and some loctite for extra measure I'm sure it is not going to come loose. Even if somehow the screw backed out the ramp would stay put on mine and the worst that could happen is a jam or maybe a stovepipe.

i just figured out the fastest mag mod yet!

took no more than 2 minutes!

took a 3/4 inch fence staple, cut it off at about 3/8 inch.

smashed it til it was in a perfect u shape.

flattened the tips a little so it will start into the mag catch.

done! of course i'll figure a way to secure it into the mag but silver solder, jb weld, or even a tiny quick bead of weld will hold.

cycled a shit load of rounds through it with out a hiccup!

and with the shape of the staple there are no sharp/jagged edges to scrape/hang up anything.

any input on improvements?

post-987-1118967376_thumb.jpg

make sure staple is not sticking up more than 3/16 inch from mag.

bolt will catch it if it is any higher.

mine stick up right at 3/16 inch and the bolt barely clears it.

just did my 5 round chinese mag.

it was a little complicated b/c of the way the mag catch is made in the front of the mag.

it worked out just as good as the first one.

cycled many rounds without a problem.

think i've found the diamond in the rough!

I improvised a PVC feedramp for my X39 conversion just to test it out. The dang thing held for at least 500 rounds or so. And it was simply pressed in by my fingers. It finally popped out one day and I decided to just count my blessings and do it for real. It's a proud thing to look at and took hardly and work at all. I tapped the trunion and used a flathead machine screw, and tightened it on top of a bead of metalized Epoxy.

People have made theirs work with only one of those two methods. I don't think mine's going anywhere.

Just do ONE mod ONE time and forget about any more mods if it can take the standard AK mags.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
So my question is: To use the AK mags you also need to either file the tab on the back a little so it will lock into the mag release mechanism or you need to modify the mag release mechanism, correct? If you modify the mag release will the Saiga mag fit sloppy?

Thanks

JeffM

look here

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=4919