wasr 3 opinions?

Hey all, I have an option to get a wasr 3 for 300 flat.. no shipping, no FFL charge.. Really tempted. How's the reliability on these things? I've never actually owned a wasr in any form but I've heard the horror stories particularly for the wasr 3 because it supposedly doesnt handle the 45 length of the 5.56 too well. Any info would be appreciated. I did a bit of a google search but couldn't find anything I'd trust as much as the folks around here.

A gun you cant get mags for isn't much use.

Or, if they cost so much you cant get enough to use in the gun, the whole thing is boogered.

I hate to pay for a new Arsenal, but, at least they have mags avaialable readily.

I think Wasr3s need Weiger mags, that may need fit, you don't see many.

thanks for the opinions.. Luckily it comes with two weigers.. If it shoots strait I may even put an adapter on it.. dunno

At $300 and it it shoots well with no FTF/FTE you might as well get it.

whats the difference in magwell between it and the saiga .223s? Since you need weiger mags for it whereas the saigas can take galil mags?

pretty set on getting it atm.. seems like a good deal.. It's good in the pics- none of the typical wasr faults.

• 2 weeks later...

well, she arrived today.. Holy crap WASR quality blows. The pics don't show it, but the left front trunion has a reddish hue from rust, the rivets have dimpled the reciever, the FSB is canted (so badly in two range trips the previous owner never hit paper, aparently a cant to the left is common), the trigger blows, the bolt is stiff... And I'm really excited to have a new project! Anyway, here she is..

She'll be hitting the range with my new Spike AR whenever my ammo arrives.. Now I have to go take a mallet to the FSB. I'll probably have to sight it in with a red dot and then hammer the sights until they agree with it.

edit: oh, and by the way.. Who the $@%@% messes up the FCG pin heads? never seen such wear and tear on such an unused part of a gun.

post-20666-0-17370600-1300508180_thumb.jpg

Edited by volkov