My carry gun...whats about you?

i really like glocks, and much prefer them factory stock rather than highly modded.

They are generally large and the only safety is in in the trigger--have noted several buys blowing off their own kneecaps because the finger was on the trigger while holstering it, and should not have been.

I here this alot from people that don't know that much about glocks and how they work. It is a striker fired pistol it does not work like a pistol with a firing pin. Look at it like a double action revolver. If it is loaded and you pull the trigger it will fire. But most people that say glocks aren't safe would not hesitate to carry a double action revolver and would feel safe with it. A glock carried in the proper holster is as safe as any other handgun. If you just don't like them thats fine your entitled to your opinion but the stories by the glock haters about alot of people shooting themselves with them are ridiculous. As with any gun keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire! My carry gun is a glock23 or somtimes mainly in colder weather when I'm wearing a jacket a Glock21SF.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you carry for self defense with out a round in the chamber? Most gunfights are reactive, I doubt you'll think to chamber a round when getting shot at in the open. My Glock 29 regularly rides in a

Yeah, given that this one person (who you say doesn't like Glocks) says he's personally seen Glocks discharge by themselves, multiple times.........I'm going to have to lean towards "fairy tales". I

+1   I'll try to find the videos of LimaLife (a woman on YouTube who has tons of gun videos......and is kinda easy on the eyes ). She does some demos with her husband where he rushes her and she s

Posted Images

i think there will always be an inherent danger when you carry any firearm with a round chambered. and it all really comes down to the actions of the individual

that being said, i personally will never chamber a round unless im at the shooting range, and ready to fire rounds off. its probably accurate to say im more apprehensive about chambering rounds than others may be, and one of the main reasons for that is that when i was much younger, i almost accidentally shot a hole in my parents expensive ceramic bath tub with my mossberg 500

So you carry for self defense with out a round in the chamber? Most gunfights are reactive, I doubt you'll think to chamber a round when getting shot at in the open. My Glock 29 regularly rides in a smart carry with a zack holster over the trigger guard, I have yet to blow my hot dog off.....can't be scared, those that are shouldn't be carrying a gun. remember that line "this is my saftey" while dude holds up his pointer finger up, it's true, that's your safety the other is located in between your ears. What's the rush to re-holster?

• Like 3

So you carry for self defense with out a round in the chamber? Most gunfights are reactive, I doubt you'll think to chamber a round when getting shot at in the open. My Glock 29 regularly rides in a smart carry with a zack holster over the trigger guard, I have yet to blow my hot dog off.....can't be scared, those that are shouldn't be carrying a gun. remember that line "this is my saftey" while dude holds up his pointer finger up, it's true, that's your safety the other is located in between your ears. What's the rush to re-holster?

+1

I'll try to find the videos of LimaLife (a woman on YouTube who has tons of gun videos......and is kinda easy on the eyes :angel: ). She does some demos with her husband where he rushes her and she sees if she has time to draw, rack and shoot. She doesn't. He's able to "stab" her multiple times. They also did the test with a round in the chamber, and while she did end up taking a stab, she was able to get a few rounds into him.

Point is, in a situation where an attacker is close, you won't have time draw and chamber a round and then fire.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

^ Food for thought.

• Like 3

I have a few different cary guns. It depends on what I am wearing. If it is cooler and I can wear enough to cover it, I have a 1911 .45. if it is summer and I am wearing just a t-shirt. then I have a Walther PP .32 auto. If I am at work,( I run a dj buisiness) and it isn't a bar or liquor establishment, I have a charter arms .38 undercover that I can conceal just about anywhere.

+1

I'll try to find the videos of LimaLife (a woman on YouTube who has tons of gun videos......and is kinda easy on the eyes :angel: ). She does some demos with her husband where he rushes her and she sees if she has time to draw, rack and shoot. She doesn't. He's able to "stab" her multiple times. They also did the test with a round in the chamber, and while she did end up taking a stab, she was able to get a few rounds into him.

Point is, in a situation where an attacker is close, you won't have time draw and chamber a round and then fire.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

^ Food for thought.

Great post!

Edited by GREYLUPO

Want thin and light for full-time carry ?? Walther PPS. 9mm or .40 cal.............

I carry the .40.......... It's 0.91 inches wide at the widest point, and runs at about 24 oz...........

Seriously looking at one of these in .40 as my official CCW piece. Have yet to shoot one but they are the perfect size. Not much bigger than my Sig 238.

I would like to also add the need to learn self defense techniques. Personally I practice empty hand vs knife techniques every week. I also carry a Taurus 24/7 .40 cal or Glock 23 in the winter. The video of the lady was a perfect example of a classic knife attack, and her response in both instances got her hurt or killed. Supplement your training to include being able to draw and fire. 21 feet is considered the "Threat Zone" . No kidding even at 21 feet I have consistently "killed" the guy with the holstered gun by charging and stabbing him or taking him to the ground and dis-arming him. I am sure there are a few quick draw McGraws out there who might get off a shot, but the guy in the classes KNOW what is about to happen. Please guys do not rely solely on the gun. By the time you know the attack is happening you will already be at a dis-advantage. I am a second degree black-belt in Hapkido and I carry everywhere I go.

Juggs loved the pic.

• Like 2

I carry a Karh cw9 at work wich I collect money and have to get out and move around alot. the gun is super light and very comfortable for it's size even with my bear paw. and the outer is a glock 23 I'm new to glock and like it very much. it has an interesting safety sytem and yes your finger is the safety. in order for the glock to fire the trigger has to move no if ands or butts. if for some reason the firing pin is released with out the trigger being pulled the firing pin is machined with a catch to stop the pin from hitting the primer. when the trigger is pulled the trigger bar wich has a raised hump on it deactivates the safety stop in the slide allowing the firing pin to travel the full lenght needed to strike the primer. also there is a safety latch on the trigger it self to stop it's movement if by chance you drop it and the stop is clear to allow the trigger to move there is not enough weight on the trigger to have enough force to allow it to move. so the odds of it just going off are extremely rare to never. not saying it's not possible cause any thing is. if it's made by man runs on electricity or has tits it can give you problems.

As for the "Finger is the safety", ya that works great for the carrier. But what happens if the carrier has the firearm lifted from the holster during a "scuffel", etc?

Some 25+yrs ago, (as an Army MP) a buddy of mine had his GI issue .45 lifted by a woman, while he was scuffeling with her husband. She grabbed it out of his holster and tried repeatedly to pull the trigger. Fortunately, the mechanical safety was on and we disarmed her before she realized it.

So what you guys are telling me, is that if it had been a Glock, someone would be dead? Thank you, I'll stick with my mechanical safety as well as my finger safety. Really, does it take any time to thumb the safety as your drawing your weapon? NOT if you train that way.

Just a thought.

Edited by BpS12

As for the "Finger is the safety", ya that works great for the carrier. But what happens if the carrier has the firearm lifted from the holster during a "scuffel", etc?

Some 25+yrs ago, (as an Army MP) a buddy of mine had his GI issue .45 lifted by a woman, while he was scuffeling with her husband. She grabbed it out of his holster and tried repeatedly to pull the trigger. Fortunately, the mechanical safety was on and we disarmed her before she realized it.

So what you guys are telling me, is that if it had been a Glock, someone would be dead? Thank you, I'll stick with my mechanical safety as well as my finger safety. Really, does it take any time to thumb the safety as your drawing your weapon? NOT if you train that way.

Just a thought.

To each his own. Everyone carries different weapons for different reasons.

Just like you recommend training to work the safety quickly, one should also train to not have their weapon taken from them. Weapon retention is just as important as anything else.

But the way I see your story is like this: MP's open-carry their sidearms, no? Well that right there is a lost advantage to concealed carrying (which is what I assume the majority of people in this thread are talking about). If we're talking Joe Schmo citizen who's concealed carrying, no one should even know he has a gun to begin with. In other words, when an attacker realizes you have a gun, it's because you have drawn it and are about to shoot. There's less chance of being disarmed, as compared to someone seeing it on your hip and grabbing for it, because you're OC'ing it.

Just my $.02 on it.

Very good point Shooter. Which is exactly why I prefer CC rather than OC. That and that it tends not to frighten the unarmed as much, lol.

However, if I may, having been involved in or with LE and CCing off and on. I've come to routinely look for others CCing(legally or otherwise). We all have our "tells", lol. My thought is that if I'm doing this, could not the bad guys? And thus negate the advantage of concealment?

Awareness and weapon retention is a must, but if we don't prep ourselves for that odd chance, it may bite us in the ass.

Now admittedly, the only thing that saved us, was that she didn't know squat about firearms.

Wild things happen in the heat of confrontation.

Edited by BpS12

I just bought a G 22, Police surplus with night sights. Looked as if to be completely unfired. Just a bit of holster wear is all. My others were a bit too nice looking to want to bump around by carrying every day. They were a Taurus 1911"Ultra Pimp", as I call it, with Gold trim an Mommy-o-Pearl-esque grips, and My Grandfathers old S&W .38 Chiefs Special, Nickel plated with black pearl grips.

I am really enjoying the .40 cal G22 now.

Many like striker fired pistols, many don't. A couple points:

1. A striker fired pistol is NOT like a double action revolver. A striker

is ready to fire and springs are stretched ready to go. A double action

revolver is at rest with the hammer down. You'll note that, if you dry

fire a striker fired pistol, the next pull is either much different, or can't be

done, which indicates that something is cocked in the striker mechanism under normal

conditions.

2. A double action revolver has a hefty pull. A glock, unless you have the NY trigger of

8 pounds, has more like a single action trigger. The hefty pull is the revolver's safety,

the glock doesn't have it. Some striker fireds, like Taurus, have external safeties.

3. You can shoot off a glock inadvertently if something hits the trigger, because all the safeties

are in the trigger. That's fine for military and LEO and all, and they're great for civilians,

too, but there are advantages and disadvantages to that, and for someone to assume that the glock

or whatever striker pistol is superior, or inferior, to all other pistol actions is just stupid.

4. Personally, I prefer a traditional double action with a manual safety and decocker, because it gives

OPTIONS. Cocked and locked, sure. Condition 2 safety off, sure. 2 with the safety on, sure. A striker pistol

will never have a great of a trigger as the single action mode of a traditional double action, and the traditional

double action will never beat the trigger of a 1911.

Back on topic:

I carry my Witness .45 compact IWB when I can. I just bought a Kel-Tec PF9 for in the summer. I like it a lot because it is so light and thin. My only gripe is that it beats the shit out of you when you shoot it. I ran about 100 rounds through it for the first time last weekend, and my hand has been bruised all week!

Very good point Shooter. Which is exactly why I prefer CC rather than OC. That and that it tends not to frighten the unarmed as much, lol.

However, if I may, having been involved in or with LE and CCing off and on. I've come to routinely look for others CCing(legally or otherwise). We all have our "tells", lol. My thought is that if I'm doing this, could not the bad guys? And thus negate the advantage of concealment?

Awareness and weapon retention is a must, but if we don't prep ourselves for that odd chance, it may bite us in the ass.

Now admittedly, the only thing that saved us, was that she didn't know squat about firearms.

Wild things happen in the heat of confrontation.

I hear you. I wish OC was legal here, even though I wouldn't personally do it. I also hear you on the possibility that criminals could be checking for tell-tale carry signs. Though I doubt it's something the average criminal does.

........and lastly, yes, wild things can indeed happen. As cliche and popular the saying is; "Shit happens" is too true. Sometimes, things will not go the way you planned, even if you've planned and trained extensively for it. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, I guess.

Many like striker fired pistols, many don't.

This is pretty much what it comes down to. Different strokes for different folks.

i really like glocks, and much prefer them factory stock rather than highly modded.

They are generally large and the only safety is in in the trigger--have noted several buys blowing off their own kneecaps because the finger was on the trigger while holstering it, and should not have been.

I here this alot from people that don't know that much about glocks and how they work. It is a striker fired pistol it does not work like a pistol with a firing pin. Look at it like a double action revolver. If it is loaded and you pull the trigger it will fire. But most people that say glocks aren't safe would not hesitate to carry a double action revolver and would feel safe with it. A glock carried in the proper holster is as safe as any other handgun. If you just don't like them thats fine your entitled to your opinion but the stories by the glock haters about alot of people shooting themselves with them are ridiculous. As with any gun keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire! My carry gun is a glock23 or somtimes mainly in colder weather when I'm wearing a jacket a Glock21SF.

Yep, keep your booger hook out of the damn triggerguard when reholstering your weapon!

I CC'd my Colt New Agent .45 for a couple years. I go to the range about once a week anyway, but that gun made me feel like I HAD to practice that often in order to shoot it accurately. I bought a 9mm sub-compact Springfield XD, a year ago, with the intention of my wife using it at the range. I liked it so much that I carry it every day now (sorry SweetTits, your tazer and pepperspray are better for you anyhow). It's extremely accurate, compact and comfortable, although a little on the thick side. It's also nice to have 2x the rounds of the .45... You never know.

Usually a Glock 23 or 19. Both have night sights, factory triggers and disconnectors, Glock extended mag releases and slide stops. I played around with other trigger setups but went back to the stock ones. They are not race guns anyway. Occasionally I carry my Combat Commander which has had a bunch of work done to it. It used to be my daily carry piece. Since the Glocks eliminate the step of disengaging the safety, they are my preferred CCW guns. Anything to get on target qucker helps in my opinion. Plus they can take some abuse like a Timex. Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

For myself my everyday carry is a Para Ordnance PDA 45. Its a dao 1911 that is very accurate and very very smooth trigger :super:

Me want! Do they make a double-stack version with a regular-length barrel? That would be about my ideal suppressor host. Then I'd have to get a .45 cal can...

Yes. Its the Para LDA 14.45 (14 rounds of 45) had one. It was the older Canadian made, police trade in. Nice gun but heavy!

# 5 from the bottom http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/33923-lets-see-those-handguns/page__st__120

I believe they also have a 12.45

RIA makes a double stack 1911 that takes para mags. But they are traditional single action only. I think centerfire has them.

Edited by Arik

Glock 20c 2.5LB trigger with overtravel stop and everything polished.

If I feel like I need a little deeper concealment, the glock 23RTF2.

The glock 20c is more comfortable generally, though.

Edited by Tombs

Well, once CC is legalized here in Wisconsin, I will have several options.

1. Glock 17

2. Beretta 92fs

3. Taurus Judge 6.5" Bbl(Okay, that one would be more of an open-carry)

I would like to think that the G-17 would be my go-to for CC, but I can't help but feel lured to the 92 for its de-cocker/safety combo, albeit with a heavier DA trigger pull.

I dunno. I'll make a choice. Maybe I'll carry all three, a'la a modern-day Bushwacker.

P.S. Have my eye on getting a companion .357 Ruger LCR to compliment my wife's. Maybe I'll just go with that.