Wood furniture

Thinking of putting wood furniture on saiga 5.45 and have a few of questions.

1. Has anyone used the TimberSmith wood on theirs?

2. Has anyone used Ironwood Designs on theirs?

3. What has to be done to install either of these on the rifle?

Edited by pfin3

What he said. Other than that, maybe a slight amount of trimming and you should be good to go. I may have some related questions on this subject since I'm going to have a custom made stock. Like, what holds the rear of the upper furniture in place?

The upper handguard is held in place, both front and back, by stamped retainers that are connected to the gas tube. Saiga gas tubes do not have these retainers, but AK tubes, and replacements like the one in Jetmech's first link, do.

Edited by DrThunder88

The upper handguard is held in place, both front and back, by stamped retainers that are connected to the gas tube. Saiga gas tubes do not have these retainers, but AK tubes, and replacements like the one in Jetmech's first link, do.

Gotcha, but if the retainers are permanently attached how do you get a non flexible wood handguard in?

Gotcha, but if the retainers are permanently attached how do you get a non flexible wood handguard in?

It's installed with the the gas tube off. Inserts from the bottom and then you rotate it 180 degrees.

...but has anyone used timbersmith or ironwood furniture?

I have the timbersmith brown laminate stock set on my 545 and personally think it looks great. It's good quality shit. I was stuck between the brown and black laminate, and the russian red wasn't available when I was converting otherwise I probably would of bought that. They also sell an unfinished set but I don't know the first thing about staining wood :smoke:

Sorry, my shitty camera doesn't do it justice

545o.png

I have the timbersmith brown laminate stock set on my 545 and personally think it looks great. It's good quality shit. I was stuck between the brown and black laminate, and the russian red wasn't available when I was converting otherwise I probably would of bought that. They also sell an unfinished set but I don't know the first thing about staining wood :smoke:

545o.png

What lower handguard retainer did you go with and how do you like it?

I went with the one CSS has for $50 which is pretty damn expensive for such a simple part but still better than the $85 Dinzag charges for theirs. It does what it's supposed to do. I used loc-tite when I installed it and after about 300 rounds it hasn't budged. :smoke:

545o.png

Looks Great :super:

545o.png

Looks Great :super:

It does look great!

I went with the one CSS has for $50 which is pretty damn expensive for such a simple part but still better than the $85 Dinzag charges for theirs. It does what it's supposed to do. I used loc-tite when I installed it and after about 300 rounds it hasn't budged. :smoke:

I ordered one today. Your pic made up my mind for me.

I have the black laminate stock set and now just need to figure out which Saiga to put it on. :unsure:

I have the TimberSmith set in Red. I have to make up some fill in pieces to keep it from moving around. But I am happy with how it came out.

What exactly did you have to do to take care of that problem?

I have the TimberSmith set in Red. I have to make up some fill in pieces to keep it from moving around. But I am happy with how it came out.

I made up some wooden shims that are the same profile as the hang guards and stock. I had to keep the upper hand guard from turning freely. I did the same thing for the lower hand guard to keep it from moving up and down. And I made one up for the butt stock to it would sit when I wanted it. It only took about an hour to make them all. Here is what it looks like installed.

P1040894.jpg

Edited by rcc1111
  • Like 1

I installed my black laminate set today and the first thing I noticed was that Saigas must have a little more room for fit than the Romanian rifles these are labeled for. I didn't feel like tearing down my SAR1 to compare so I just went ahead with the installation on a Saiga 5.45 I have. There is plenty of movement in the upper handguard but it seems like it'll stay.

100_1832.jpg

100_1833.jpg

100_1834.jpg

I'll probably shoot it sometime this week to see how it works. If its real bad I'll make some kind of shims for it. One thing I noticed was the notch cut in the inside of the lower handguard. Looks almost like its for a heat shield but I haven't heard anything.

Looks darn good! Hope mine turns out that good. Thats what I ended up purchasing and also in the same color. Thanks.

Looks darn good! Hope my turns out that good. That is what I ended up purchasing and in the same color. Thanks

I made up some wooden shims that are the same profile as the hang guards and stock. I had to keep the upper hand guard from turning freely. I did the same thing for the lower hand guard to keep it from moving up and down. And I made one up for the butt stock to it would sit when I wanted it. It only took about an hour to make them all. Here is what it looks like installed.

P1040894.jpg

Here are some pics if my slr-95 with custom wallnut home made. Just got it done tonight. next is the 12

That walnut looks very nice on a AK.

thanks took a lot of hand fitting but worth it the upper handgaurd was a pain

• 2 weeks later...