Out with the PSL

The barrel is 21." I did everything myself, except a semi-local smith enlarged the FSB I.D. for me. I already had cutters to crown and face the muzzle. A new hacksaw blade took care of the chop.

This was it before the FSB went on.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

The bore was not completely concentric where it was cut. Thankfully the brake baffles have plenty of room for error.

The toughest part was drilling for the FSB pins without a drill press. There was much sweating and some cursing involved...but it ended up good.

Shortening the barrel doesn't make it a WASR10.. it's still a PSL. I have no idea what your getting at. It still shoots 54r which is different.. and cheaper. It still has elongated internals.. It's a different gun. Cutting a few inches off it doesn't put it in the WASR10 camp.

Looks cool to me!

Edited by volkov

Shortening the barrel doesn't make it a WASR10.. it's still a PSL. I have no idea what your getting at. It still shoots 54r which is different.. and cheaper. It still has elongated internals.. It's a different gun. Cutting a few inches off it doesn't put it in the WASR10 camp.

Looks cool to me!

Sure,looks cool but PSL is 2" MOA 1.5" with ammo that she likes , so with short barrel is what, 3-4, common its a waist of the rifle. this why I am saying if you just want to have fun of shooting cans buy WASR,but if you want to use it for lets say hunting,or shoot 300-700 yards

the reason why they made this AK on steroids in a first place, leave the barrel.

Just my humble opinion

DSC05700.jpg

Edited by atakacorp
  • Like 1

I reckon at least a few people disagree with you

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/55266-ak54r-anyone-seen-or-own-one-check-it-out/

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/59597-psl-mbr/page__st__30

Maybe it'll lose a bit of accuracy (though people with em seem happy and some question how much difference it actually will make) but being 54r puts it in a niche of it's own. Accuracy isn't the only distinguishing factor in the round.

Edited by volkov

Shortening the barrel doesn't effect accuracy, it may lose some velocity though. In fact it may increase accuracy due to barrel whip.

Shorter stiffer barrel plus a new crown job, would like to know how she shoots?

Edited by 1liter
  • Like 2

Looks cool to me!

Sure,looks cool but PSL is 2" MOA 1.5" with ammo that she likes , so with short barrel is what, 3-4, common its a waist of the rifle. this why I am saying if you just want to have fun of shooting cans buy WASR,but if you want to use it for lets say hunting,or shoot 300-700 yards

the reason why they made this AK on steroids in a first place, leave the barrel.

Just my humble opinion

DSC05700.jpg

:chris: you bastard :chris: you have the black synthetic furniture and the 8x scope.i feel.....left behind.looks great :super:

Looks cool to me!

Just my humble opinion

DSC05700.jpg

:chris: you bastard :chris: you have the black synthetic furniture and the 8x scope.i feel.....left behind.looks great :super:

Thanks check it out my daughters trophy

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/48550-psl-hunting-loads/page__st__30

Atak:thats awesome,great trophy and tell your girl i said great shot.i would be willing to bet that if a "situation" would happen that she would not become a statistic and rather a survivior.good job to you both.

Thanks Buzz . Rick, sorry for a little hijacking, back to the 21" barrel PSL :killer:

Edited by atakacorp

There is no difference in accuracy. The MV loss is marginal. IIRC it's something along the lines of 12fps per inch of barrel. I liked the barrel length of the shorter Tigr and SVDS, so that's what I did. Hell, there's a trend right now for 16-18" barrels with the tactical bolt gun crowd...but I wasn't going that short. I figure the Russians might know a thing or two.

Some people like to make their PSL's look like SVD's. I just wanted to make mine a little handier.

I need to take it out with some 7N1 on the bench to see what it can really do. Just out having fun with it, there didn't seem to be any difference.

For 3-5 shots at a time this rifle is outstanding. Ten shots or more, and it's nothing too impressive. I've taken it out with my father-in-law a couple times. It shoots just as well as his Ruger .270 bolt gun. That alone is pretty damn good for what it is. It has half the trigger pull now, so I may be out shooting him with a big AK next time.

• Like 1