First range trip after conversion

Why would you go through the work of converting without doing the polishing and re-profiling before installing the parts???? That makes no sense. That's like wearing your shirt before ironing it.

If you are talking to me I did reprofile and polish my bolt, carrier and rails before the conversion but I thought the modified tromix hammer did not need it. I have since re-profiled and polished it.

Same here .. I thought the tromix FCG was good-to-go as is. We can't all be as smart as you are Mr. Tool!

You could be if only you would read and retain, Mr. Stack.

There is so much of this information already in these forums. The problems you are having aren't new, and the solutions haven't changed either, only the people asking.

Why would you go through the work of converting without doing the polishing and re-profiling before installing the parts???? That makes no sense. That's like wearing your shirt before ironing it.

If you are talking to me I did reprofile and polish my bolt, carrier and rails before the conversion but I thought the modified tromix hammer did not need it. I have since re-profiled and polished it.

Same here .. I thought the tromix FCG was good-to-go as is. We can't all be as smart as you are Mr. Tool!

There is so much of this information already in these forums. The problems you are having aren't new, and the solutions haven't changed either, only the people asking.

You're right.. I will definitely aspire to be like you. This is one of the reasons that I'm not a fan of forums. There are too many folks who deem themselves the king. Some folks just don't have the time to live on the forums or they might have missed something along the way and for that, they don't need to be criticized. There is life beyond the internet - I promise.

What's the old saying? If you have nothing good to say then don't say it at all? Something like that.

You can have your forum back sir , we all bow to you and your infinite wisdom. Good news is that you got two more post count!! Nice work for add absolutely nothing to a conversation. And now look at me - becoming just like you. You must be proud!

No need for a response - it will be ignored as I refuse to muddy the waters with nonsense posts (beyond this one).

It might be the picture but the entire rail system looks like it is out of alignment. That would explain why your vent was severely blocked.

It is square with the reciever so it looks like the gas block is off.

You're right.. I will definitely aspire to be like you. This is one of the reasons that I'm not a fan of forums. There are too many folks who deem themselves the king. Some folks just don't have the time to live on the forums or they might have missed something along the way and for that, they don't need to be criticized. There is life beyond the internet - I promise.

FWIW, I've been punching the "search" button on this forum for the past couple weeks to the point where it's glowing red hot, and I haven't come across a discussion devoted to how the Tromix hammer needed to be polished before installation either. It doesn't seem to appear as a necessary stage on any of the conversion instructions I've read. Maybe it isn't so obvious as it might appear to some folks.

In any case, I'm very interested to read about whether or not you've solved your gas port prob by drilling the handguard. I'm hoping you'll report back on this soon.

What's the old saying? If you have nothing good to say then don't say it at all? Something like that.

You can have your forum back sir , we all bow to you and your infinite wisdom. Good news is that you got two more post count!! Nice work for add absolutely nothing to a conversation. And now look at me - becoming just like you. You must be proud!

No need for a response - it will be ignored as I refuse to muddy the waters with nonsense posts (beyond this one).

For you Stack, and sorry for the hijack OP.

post-23857-0-86015400-1300094884_thumb.jpg

FWIW, I've been punching the "search" button on this forum for the past couple weeks to the point where it's glowing red hot, and I haven't come across a discussion devoted to how the Tromix hammer needed to be polished before installation either. It doesn't seem to appear as a necessary stage on any of the conversion instructions I've read. Maybe it isn't so obvious as it might appear to some folks.

In any case, I'm very interested to read about whether or not you've solved your gas port prob by drilling the handguard. I'm hoping you'll report back on this soon.

Exactly what I experienced. Additionally, it's not shown in any of the videos I've watched. Beyond that, the company I bought the kit from evaded the question, twice. Which I can understand because of the potential for issues by taking it too far down but still ... hard to find an solid answer on it without some deductive reasoning.

I did profile/polish mine down to what the original hammer looks like via calipers and my eyeball. Made a world of difference but apparently the OP had a different issue which I am glad has been solved for him.

As a fairly new user to the Saiga forums, this is one of the things that bothers me as well. Even if the search function worked, what if a new user has no idea what a specific malfunction, part, procedure or term is called? They post a question and get slammed to "RTFM n00b!". Way to welcome new members and possibly new shooters to the sport. With all the positive press that shooting and Saiga 12s are getting these days we need to remember that we are all ambassadors of the shooting sports. Be nice, and post a link if it is a question that has been answered.

Actually in this thread we see a noobie giving a long time member (with a low post count) a hard time.

Noobies get a "trial by fire" on many forums and this one has always been like that. You have to expect a bit of that.... come on, it's a gun forum. :)

Don't take it personally, just throw back some witty banter and everything will be fine. If you blow a gasket and get ugly though, expect to get banned no matter who started it.

As our mod Nailbomb said, don't bother with the forums built-in search... it sucks.

Use the "Advanced" search functions of Google and target the search to this site, works very well.

Welcome noobies and Tool.... lighten up on Stack. :)

My UTG quad rail did the same thing. Put the stock foregrip back on and no problems.

Did your UTG quad rail block the gas port? Is thier another version out there, like an older version, that covers the gas port, because mine mounts entirely behind that part of the gas block? I'm curious because I haven't had mine out since I put the rail on (weather has been bad for a couple of weekends) and I've heard a few people say they got FTEs with the UTG quad rail, but I can't see where or how it would interfere with cycling rounds.

Actually in this thread we see a noobie giving a long time member (with a low post count) a hard time.

Noobies get a "trial by fire" on many forums and this one has always been like that. You have to expect a bit of that.... come on, it's a gun forum. :)

Don't take it personally, just throw back some witty banter and everything will be fine. If you blow a gasket and get ugly though, expect to get banned no matter who started it.

As our mod Nailbomb said, don't bother with the forums built-in search... it sucks.

Use the "Advanced" search functions of Google and target the search to this site, works very well.

Welcome noobies and Tool.... lighten up on Stack. :)

Spart,

All great advice and observations - I've been around the block with many forums and you are correct on all counts. Hell, I used to belong to ARFCOM so dealing with rhetoric isn't anything new with me. Doesn't mean I need to lay down and take either... just sayin'... (not implying that this is your recommendation)

After all, post count doesn't mean a thing in my mind. Content matters most in my opinion. I've been a member here for a while and do indeed do my research but never claimed (and never will claim) to be an authority on anything S-12 (except maybe taking it back apart because I forgot to put the front axis pin through the BHO plate).. I've been reading and learning along the way with most of my questions being found prior to needing to ask. Hence, the low post count on my part.

With the amount of new S-12 owners one can expect more questions and with an admittedly crappy search function it is to be expected that not everyone will find everything that some of the folks here will think you should have found on your own. It's gonna happen! All of the self-proclaimed-legitimate-question-forum-enforcers should probably learn to deal with it and be happy that the forums are growing.

The timing of my conversion with the recent onslaught of new S-12 owners is a good thing in my opinion. We may find and learn about new issues, thoughts, and concepts along the way. Maybe something new will pop up that will be more beneficial than something that has been posted prior - which apparently makes it gospel. That's why I think it is counter-productive to make someone feel like they're an idiot for asking a question that may or may have not been answered OR easy to find.

At the end of the day some of it is comical though ... it's hard to wish that these little flare-ups didn't exist as they can be quite funny. My feelings are unscathed - I promise. If I let every dopey comment bother me I'd have unplugged my computer years ago and become a hermit.

I have to go finish filling out my Butthurts form now ..... :smoke:

Have a good one

- Stack

My S-12 ran perfectly after I installed the UTG Quad rail. I was shooting Remington 8 too. I dont think its about the ports and yes they are important but if your gun is weak on gas than yeah it wont run. I had my S-12 gas system overhauled and it runs fine.

Mine was/is fine with my old-school monolith arms quad which is a similar design to the OPs.

But...in his picture it looks as if the upper half of his quad rail would be pressed up tight against the vent (not really the ports) which would definitely (I think) cause some issues and would explain why it ran well after removing the upper half. Mine is close to the vent but there is plenty of room as not to block the vent.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Chaos Extended Quad Rail is a no go, I got out today and it would not even run high brass buckshot with the top rail on and the gun on setting one. I took off the top rail and proceded to do a 20 round mag dump of the fed bulk pac on setting one and it ran 19 rounds before a FTE switched to setting two and ran another 80 rounds through it with no issues.