How do YOU clean/tend to your s12?

Well, It's really humid where I am, even with the AC cranking.

And I'm sorta OCD so I take apart everything and clean the shit out of it and I oil the piss out of everything when I put it back together. The reason I do is some greenish looking stuff started to form on the end of the barrel on one of my AK's so that made me all nervous.

I use remington wipes, ear cleaners, electric tooth brush, paper towels, remington cleaner/oil spray, and some kind of oil that I can' think of right now. Oh, and a silicon rag too.

Oh, and after I clean the barrel I run a boresnake through it a couple of times just to be a little extra OCD.

Edit:

Yeah, I don't oil the gas system either. That's about it though.

Edited by PostsOnPercocet

You guys use the stock rod to clean the bore? Do you run a jag thru it?

This looks cool, but kinda wondering if it will work/ whats the stock rod thread?

http://www.brownells...G_CLEANING_JAGS

Looks interesting, but eh, I'll stick with my setup. I don't use the stock rod. I have a kit I bought. And then, like I said, I hit it up with the boresnake.

i cant figure out why anyone cleans these guns, other than the gas puck.

spray some oil on the internals once in a while, and it will run forever.

i abuse all my guns and never clean them, just oil them, and never have any problems.

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

Some of us are just weird I guess, you are right you can just oil the action and it will run. That's what it was designed to do right?

I wouldn't say your weird, I would say I am lazy, LOL.

Yeah, these things can take a pounding.

Everyone at the shop is pretty anal about cleaning. They always get pi$$ed at me, cause I will take out our shop guns, hammer them, then just throw them back in the safe :-)

When they find them, they are like WTF? THEN I have to clean them, lol. What's funny is when I do have to clean a gun, I am anal about it being perfect, but my own personal guns, man they are caked w/ sh*t. They keep chugging though.

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

Solvent patches followed by a dry swap for the bore. Solvent patches followed by wire brush followed by dry swab for the gas tube. Everything in the receiver gets cleaned with brake cleaner and blown dry with dry compressed air and oiled well with 3-n-1 oil.

Mags get stripped and blown out occasionally.

i abuse all my guns and never clean them, just oil them, and never have any problems.

Well, you're right. Hopefully they would run and take a pounding. I mean, if there was ever a prolonged conflict I'd hope my guns would all last.

I think we clean them to keep them as new as possible. I want my guns in the best shape possible for when...or if....the shit hits the fan.

Take out everything as far as down to the bolt, then I take out the gas plug and piston and clean out all that crap. clean the barrel. Use hoppes solvent then wipe everything down w/oil. Does anyone take anything else out beyond the bolt? I just reach what I can, but if I find a better disassembly vid, I'd like to. Also use the wire brush it comes with. plan on gettin some more of these. work great!

Edited by Scatillac

Pretty much the same here. I have purposely neglected cleaning mine because my non Saiga weapons have been so finicky about needing care and I wanted to see if the AK legend was true. It is, as far as I'm concerned.

+1 to most of this. I clean the gas block and puck. Everything else gets some Breakfree.

I am such a hypocrite because I love it when customers send in clean (or moderately clean) machnegun to be worked on. I'll clean them spotless no matter what, but when I get a clean gun it is like the customer respects you enough to do that for you. It is nice.

I pretty much only work on registered machineguns. Everyone up here has their own specialty, that one is mine. One guy is the AR guy and pretty much does all of our AR work and mods. But when M16's come in, since I do the MG's I do those too.

Anyway, I can't stand it when people send in MG's literally caked in shit. Even worse is when the internals are covered in thick grease, seen some where it looks like they dipped the whole gun (and every single part) in a bucket of grease. It takes about a good hour of cleaning to get 100% all the grease out of them, an hour I could have been repairing their gun. I don't mind a dirty gun, but when they come in looking like my own personal guns (or worse), I am like, Fack! It's disrespectful and time consuming. And it has to be done absolutlessly spotless before it gets sent back.

My guns are so bad, I bet if I sent them to another machinegun shop, they would throw them right back in the box and send them right back to me, LOL!

But they are mine, so I can do what I want with them. I play hard with them, and put them away wet. BUT, all my personal guns are high quality! 4xM16's (5.56 commando A2, 5.56 Commando Flat top, 9mm commando M16, .22 commando M16) (the .22 I do analy clean, or it jams), HK MP5A3, FA AK Norinco, MAC's, PPSH, PPS43, Soumi, Sig's, Saiga-12, 870, etc. All high quality, so I know they can take a good beating and survive w/ a drink of spray oil. I almost feel like I am performing a torture test on them to see whe they will finally fail. Hasn't happened yet :-)

We have TONS of Eagle gun cases in every size and favor at my disposal. But even with that, I just pile all of my personal guns in the trunk of my car and let hem bang around on the way to the range. I'm weird cause I think there is nothing more beautiful than a gun that shows battlefield wear, the more the better. So, I think I abuse mine, because I actually like the way they look beat up, if that makes any sense?

And in the back of my head, if ever needed too, it would be disassembled, 100% cleaned, all suspect parts replaced, glass beaded, parkerized, HK black enamel, and then be a good as new. If I didn't have access/knowledge to expertly/perfectly restore them, I would probably, no make that positivly clean them, lubricate, and bag them up.

Different strokes for different folks.

Rant over :-)

Pretty much the same here. I have purposely neglected cleaning mine because my non Saiga weapons have been so finicky about needing care and I wanted to see if the AK legend was true. It is, as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, but relatively speaking.. it seems to me like the S12 needs a lot of cleaning; but then I'm not familiar with any other autoloading shotguns.

But it certainly requires more cleaning than a pump shotgun.. and they require more cleaning than my Garand/M1A variants, and I imagine they require more cleaning than AK rifles.

How much cleaning do other autoloading shotguns require?

I usually fire mine long guns until they fail from being dirty, they get wet, or I have a shoot planned with friends and I want to show off a bit. I take much better care of my handguns.

Any reason to prefer stiff nylon brushes over the brass or bronze ( w.e they are ) or SS tornados?

i use a tornado. it works better than anything i've ever used.

that jag thing you posted a link of looks like it might be worth a try too.

Tampons for the gas system... no lie

Yep, much cheaper than buying those bore mops.

A bit embarrassing to carry around in a range bag maybe,

but I read someplace that they are great for gunshot wounds too.

Maybe a good idea to throw a few in a side pocket of the range bag.

The wife/gf may appreciate it one day too that you happen to have one.

Edit: LOL..... I just imagined the garbage man seeing a gun oil soaked

and black sooty tampon laying in your garbage. :lolol:

Edited by Spartacus

I do a detail clean every now and then, scrub everything, get as much carbon build up out as I can.

I even take a dremel plastic wire wheel to clean inside of the gas system, threads, and puck if there is crud I can't get out.

to aid in cleaning I also lightly smoothed out my gas puck and polished slightly, it has helped.

And I use this stuff in the gas system, bolt, and pretty much any friction area...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20900/Product/C5_A_ANTI_SEIZE_LUBRICANT

Works great, stays slick even when dirty, and I have had good results shooting sub -0F and +100F, does not bleed off at all. :smoke:

I started using it on the slides of my carry guns to prevent lint buildup to start, then started playing with the stuff in my rifles.

It works great in the gas system, I coat the threads of my gas plug, I have never had to use a tool ever since using this stuff, before after 500rds the threads would fill full of crud and require a tool to remove it.

And my last detail cleaning I applied the coper anti seize very lightly to my gas puck, and inside of the gas tube where it rides, the buildup is still there but seems like less, and it seems to flake out more...

My main hope was to make it easier to clean the puck, but I have not tested to see if it helped yet.

Right now the most cleaning I do to my S12 is a wipe down of the bolt & carrier, and I might run a brush through the barrel, unless I see lots of buildup or I'm about to do 3gun. :super:

The best carbon cutter ever made is GM top Engine cleaner (Chevy dealer) I have been useing it and it works better than any gun solvent out there ,Bench rest shooters use it almost exclusively . Nothing is faster or removes carbon as well . I oil my Saigas with Mobile 1 motor oil ,I also use it on my AR15's .

I use the plastic one that came with it for the gas tube and a brass one for the bore.