Ordering some parts, check out my list.

The aftermarket plugs merely offer more adjustability. They do not fix an undergassed condition. I have the MD V plug, but have not tried it yet. I think I may end up modifying it.

Well I have been running the gun on 2 with the stock plug. It would almost eject the shell, the bolt was coming most of the way back. Sometimes I could get it to shoot 2-3 in a row. I changed it to 1 just for the hell of it, even though 1 is for heavier loads. It didn't even cycle the bolt at all so I'm back to 2. I've got about 200 rounds through the gun so far. Mostly birdshot, bout 20rds of buck and slug. Would making sure the gas ports were drilled at 45 degrees and .090 make it cycle the lighter loads consistently? I also bought a 12rd primate drum today at the gun show. I was a little skeptical bout buying it because of the bad rep they have and my own personal experiences with them. But from what I've read here they seem to be a good product. I'm pretty sure the gun is to blame.

Other than to verify the SIZE of the holes all you need to do is unscrew the factory plug and with a bent paperclip (or small wire) just make sure of the number of holes and that they are unobstructed. The usual consensus with the puck is, that the factory puck is usually not an issue with cycling properly.

I never had much issues with mine, I did install a Vplug and can only say good things about it.

Good luck getting it to run well .... start off small with the mods you make until you are sure its running right out of the box as its intended to.

12rd primate drum
??

MonkeyDrum.gif

Edited by EJ45

Gas puck will not effect your problem. Or a new piston for that matter. It will help you later with 922r compliance.

Gas ports are usually to blame for unreliable cycling, out of the box. Having your bolt, carrier polished will help too. There are several business members here that offer that service and do an incredible job, for a very reasonable price. There are Also low brass reliability kits available that will help you cycle the cheap stuff.

@ rangerguy - what's wrong with the twister puck? Just curious, I don't have one but haven't heard any thing bad about them. Care to enlighten?

Yeah forget about the twister puck. They bleed gas around the edges and if anything impede cycling. I dont know why there still sold as part of a "reliability" kit. They also have been known to mushroom and get stuck in the gas block . Stick to the stock puck or get a KA puck.

The gunfixr plug is nice, works great since opening my ports up. The MD plug seems nice but ive never used one. I bought the lowbrass reliability kit when i first got my S12. It helped but wasnt 100%, plus i didn't like using the reduced power spring for fear of damaging the trunnion. after ALOT of re profiling and polishing I broke down and opened up the ports and added a 4th. Now it'll run anything,

The best thing you can do to help it cycle is have the internals polished and re profiled and open up the ports. Forget about switching out parts to make it run, just treat the cause of the problem to begin with and you'll be much happier, sooner. It may or may not be under gassed but if it is you can really only fix it one way. You can contact Cadiz Gun works and have the ports opened up under warranty. or DIY. Also stick to the federal bulk when shootin cheap, this is what Cadiz warrants the gun to cycle with. Use the factory mag and keep the gun as close to factory config. as possible.

Edited by big-J
  • Like 1

I agree about the twister puck not solving any problems, for that matter the spring and gunfixer, too. Your money and time would be so much better spent with polishing and porting to fix any cycling problems. Your gun needs to be broken in first. A couple hundred high power loads of buck and/or slugs, NOT WM bulkpack stuff, will do that.

There is some debate about breaking the gun in. Personally im sure it may be a good idea if you can afford the ammo but I am of the crowd that says spend the money on a professional polish/re-profile job and make sure the ports are correct. If you do this no need to break it in, the polishing and profiling will end up being better than spending a bunch of money on ammo just to polish the internals after breaking it in.

Winchester bulk from walmart; forget about that trash.

Work on getting the fed bulk to run well and you will be gtg

I had many issues with the winchester bulk, the charges are way to low, and the hulls are way to thin and soft for an S12.

There is some debate about breaking the gun in. Personally im sure it may be a good idea if you can afford the ammo but I am of the crowd that says spend the money on a professional polish/re-profile job and make sure the ports are correct. If you do this no need to break it in, the polishing and profiling will end up being better than spending a bunch of money on ammo just to polish the internals after breaking it in.

Very well stated.

Also, OP can hand cycle the weapon for a while and get about the same result as firing "high brass".

I had many issues with the winchester bulk, the charges are way to low, and the hulls are way to thin and soft for an S12.

ETA: Too early for me to be posting

Edited by evlblkwpnz

+1 on the thin hulls. The extractor slot needs to be somewhat agressively filed to overcome this, but if you can make it run off of Winchester then it should eat nearly anything ;)