I have my saiga 223 stripped of the stock fcg, transfer bar trigger pin axles and springs. Old trigger plate is drilled out rivets punched out, plate set aside for practice riveting. New surplus trigger guard ready to be mounted with Global rivets. My reciever has the correct holes under the old plate. There is one hole center of the reciever just ahead of the new trigger opening that is not used with the new trigger. If I fill the hole with a rivet will it conflict with fcg? 2nd question I have a 5/32 bucking bar that I turned down on lathe to get a straight shot on the 4 magazine rivets , for the inside of the reciever I ground an old PTO shaft to look like a shoe to buck the rivets against, this is a hammer driven setup. The rivets are right next to the sides of the reciever good potential of not flattening out inside nicely ... walking off sideways. Would I dare heat the shank of the rivets to peen them over easier or would that fu the reciever from heat distortion?

If I fill the hole with a rivet will it conflict with fcg?

<snip>

Would I dare heat the shank of the rivets to peen them over easier or would that fu the reciever from heat distortion?

The rivet should not interfere with the FCG. It is slightly behind the hammer boss, so there should be plenty of clearance.

With regards to the milspec trigger guard/mag catch. You should be ok to do the rivets either way. Keep in mind that the mag catch is your stress point, but it doesn't take a lot of stress. You only need to flatten the rivets enough that the assembly does not wiggle. You can heat the rivets, but for the heating to be effective, you need to start hammering them right away. For most manual setups, they cool off and you lose the advantage. I would say cold swage them and once you get them "set", you can pay attention to the individual ones that might need attention with a smaller punch.

That's my $2 worth ($0.02 in constant 1913 value adjusted for inflation).

Post some pics when you are through.