SBS - Saiga 12, How short w/o modifying gas?

I have a Saiga 12 I would like to shorten the barrel on.

How short can I go without modifying the gas block?

Thanks!

Step 1. You will need an NFA tax stamp.

With no mods at all? No more than a couple of inches.

If you want an SBS that absolutely runs - there are several SOT level forum sponsors who specialize in this kind of work and can do it well.

Good luck!

Mike

I wonder, has anyone tested these lengths with the newer style gas plugs like the MD Arms plug and the auto-regulating one? I would think that with the MD Arms plug specifically (I know because I have one) you have many more options available to regulate gas for the gun.

I wonder, has anyone tested these lengths with the newer style gas plugs like the MD Arms plug and the auto-regulating one? I would think that with the MD Arms plug specifically (I know because I have one) you have many more options available to regulate gas for the gun.

Regulators are only effective if there is enough gas pressure to regulate. Cutting an S12 to 12" with a bone stock gas system won't provide enough back pressure to cycle the gun with anything but extremely powerful loads, if at all.

I cut mine to 11.5" I have a Gunfixr gas block. It works great w/ Slugs and buck shot. I also have the reduced power action springs though I don't have to run them to get real ammo to cycle, but I can install them and use lower gas settings to get Slugs/Buck to run.

However, I cannot get Bulk cheap Fed or Win to cycle reliably w/ any action spring on any gas setting. I can get AA super handi cap to work pretty good on the high gas settings w/ the reduced power action springs from Carolina Shooter Supply.

I did not have to elarge or otherwise do anything w/ the gas system or ports. My S12 is a later production model, I hear in the last 4 yrs or so they come more gassed than in years past.

I cut mine to 11.5" I have a Gunfixr gas block. It works great w/ Slugs and buck shot. I also have the reduced power action springs though I don't have to run them to get real ammo to cycle, but I can install them and use lower gas settings to get Slugs/Buck to run.

However, I cannot get Bulk cheap Fed or Win to cycle reliably w/ any action spring on any gas setting. I can get AA super handi cap to work pretty good on the high gas settings w/ the reduced power action springs from Carolina Shooter Supply.

I did not have to elarge or otherwise do anything w/ the gas system or ports. My S12 is a later production model, I hear in the last 4 yrs or so they come more gassed than in years past.

Gunfixr gas block? Are you sure it isn't a plug or regulator?

You could probably make that thing run better off of lower powered shells if you did some port and gas block mods.

WaffenShmied,

Thank you very much for your insight, I hadn't thought of that.

rightwingnut,

That's good to hear and give me some hope. I think if I cut my barrel to that length I'd add another gas port myself.

Edited by Predator/Terminator
  • Like 1

You could probably make that thing run better off of lower powered shells if you did some port and gas block mods.

Right on the money.

6 unobstructed ports and it will run low-brass.

Edited by Class2Matt