How do you guys feel about loaded magazines?

I've heard it both ways for AR's and AK's. Today I went shooting and shot both my AR and AK, when I got home, I loaded some mags back up and stuck them in the safe. Then I got to thinking, how long can you really leave them loaded? I don't have all my mags loaded but, I have a bunch loaded because WTF good are empty mags?

I know with pistol magazines, I switch out between several different 17rd mags with my Glock that I leave loaded in my home. I have read that if you leave your mag fully loaded for long periods of time, it can damage or ruin the effectiveness of the spring. I would imagine the same applies for AK and AR mags :unsure: Don't quote me on it though :cryss:

that's what I would think too, I mean, I shoot pretty often so I doubt the loaded mags would stay loaded more than a month at most.

I also have read that it's cyclic wear that damages springs, like constant loading and unloading, so that theory maintains that keeping the spring compressed doesn't wear it out. That's pretty much the opposite of what I would think though. I'm no engineer though lol.

The springs should be good almost indeffiantly. I believe the springs are tempered? which means they can be compressed for an extended amount of time and will go back to their original shape. You should theorectically be able to leave your mags loaded for years, as long as they're stored properly. Loading and unloading mags is the only thing that will wear out the spring. Of course there are cheap mags with cheap springs which probably dont hold up well to being stored loaded.

I keep mags loaded all the time, I don't bother to actively rotate the oldest out for range use and I'm not the least bit worried about it.

A fully loaded mag's spring is not solidly compressed, as was the spring in the test linked above. It is going to show even less compression and hence be even closer to that of the cycled spring.

I have read that if you leave your mag fully loaded for long periods of time, it can damage or ruin the effectiveness of the spring.

This is incorrect. As a mechanical engineer, I can assure you that leaving a spring in full compression will not damage it. As mentioned above, it is cycling that wears out springs.

Load them up!

Actually there have been several tests run and what makes the springs loose tension is compress and release. Static compression doe not make them loose tension.

My Glock mags may be loaded for a year at a time, as may my CZ82 9x18. I have 30 round GI M1 Carbine mags that had been loaded for several years, and they worked perfectly. AK Mags are so over engineered, I seriously doubt if they will ever weaken significantly. I once cut an AK mag spring in half, and it still worked in an 30 round AK magazine. Magazine spring wearing out is the last thing you need to worry about. One of the black gun guru's like Fortier (maybe not him, but one of them) said "If you want to go broke, open an AK magazine repair shop!"

I keep mags loaded all the time, I don't bother to actively rotate the oldest out for range use and I'm not the least bit worried about it.

A fully loaded mag's spring is not solidly compressed, as was the spring in the test linked above. It is going to show even less compression and hence be even closer to that of the cycled spring.

This, any good manufacture of magazines will not design the mag so that the spring will be compressed to the point where it will cause wear. So yes you can leave your mags loaded, just fire em off every now and again because indentations or deformities in the shape of the cartridge can occur.

I've heard the argument that it can spread the feed lips, but that seems a bit far-fetched.

I'd be warier of the possibility of this effect's existence in polymer and thin aluminum magazines, but not magazines that could be used to drive tent pegs. On the other hand I have a few steel Galil mags with loose lips. I don't know if this is from the power of the spring or if the previous owner was just using them to open beer bottles, but I guess it is a possibility.

ah this old rumor again. Just like the ol steel case ammo will dmg your rifle rumor.

Leaving mags loaded will not harm them at all. Compressing a spring does not wear it. Constant compressing and decompressing is what wears the spring.

you are good to leave mags loaded as long as you want. An unloaded mag is useless, unless you plan on using it as a hammer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still on topic but a little off.

Anybody ever run into issues with their loaded aluminum AR mags? I've always heard stories of the feed lips on those deforming due to spring pressure when loaded for long periods of time. I've never experienced it on any of mine however.. but never had one stored loaded for more than a year. I can see this being an issue with those.. They do feel flimsy as shit. I've tried to transition over to magpuls, but those still have some flex in the feed lips. But, knock on wood, I've never had a mag related AR-15 malfunction to date.

Springs... as stated.. repeated compression/depression wears them out.

My AK mags.. stay loaded without any worries whatsoever.