Suggest thead for mulit-level conversion

I don't actually have a Saiga yet. I am waiting for reason to return to pricing. Procrastination is its' own reward.

I have spent a lot of time reading things on this and other forums. The number of permutations of things to do the the weapon are astronomical when including the number of vendors of the assorted pieces. There are some excellent "conversion" threads. But after all the reading I still find myself confused about what should be done.

I would like to ask the one or more serious experts (of which there appear to be plenty here) to make a sticky thread that helps the neophyte through more experienced in making conversions. First a few levels of changes.

Level 1 - what should you do to make the weapon more reliable and compliant with federal rules. This is kind of the minimum conversion. Get it working good and legal for the configuration and reasonable future changes. Think about old style and new production. Magazine fitment. Stuff. Now you feel safe defending your house from zombies (and others).

Level 2 - OK, it is reliable, now how about smoother (triggers, if not done for compliance in Level 1, assorted polishing, etc.), longer lasting (maybe some lubricating, anti-rust coatings), more flexible on ammunition, revising gas ports, different parts.

Level 3 - performance/controllability; muzzle brake, pistol gripped stocks, comfort, sights, lights, lasers, grenade launchers, etc.

Level 4 - aesthetics; make it look like hell on wheels.

Now a person with a bare production gun can look at the article and decide what they want/can afford for specific goals. By having the levels, you can decide where you want to go before you start. This lets you pick higher level options that would necessitate replacing already replaced parts later, or things that would be a lot simpler if actually implemented at a lower level.

To make things even more useful, the person(s) building the post could make liberal use of links to exemplary threads on accomplishing the goals (which should also become sticky). Some of that could also be consolidated into this sticky thread (with permission of the original authors, if needed).

Lists of various manufacturers of the necessary parts would be very helpful. Exceptionally so if links are also provided to reviews of these parts. This gives modifiers a fighting chance to avoid junk. Actually maintaining separate threads for parts and suppliers and evaluations just to linking to this thread would be very useful.

All this would take a bunch of effort to build and maintain; but there seem to be people on here that are likely to find it entertaining to undertake the effort. Or would do it just for the help they would be giving to the rest of us. Altruism is also its' own reward.

Just my suggestions from the perspective of someone wanting to get into this.

Sorry, just a well understood cultural reference. It does yield an image of maximum performance.

And don't be silly; I am not 12. I am way older; 13 1/2. Remember, burnt powder residue is good for acne. Applied from the front, it fixes an even larger range of problems.

If you learn anything here it's gonna be we are all different in our wants and needs.

What you consider as junk others will desire, there is a lot to learn here, just keep looking and you'll find what you want and more.

Alternaty,

There are tons of threads on all these subjects. Minimal conversion, ultimate conversion, no conversion, polishing, accessorizing, etc.

They are already collected together in this, the best Saiga forum on the planet, for your convenience. If you want to have the information assembled in a way that is more meaningful to your specific project, I suggest that you cut and paste the salient articles into a Word document.

No offense, but you are coming here and asking people to do the work for you? I know you think that it will benefit all, but the reason it doesn't already exist is that no one can agree about what mods are important.

Good luck and have fun

bob

• Like 1

Better yet, as you do your gun project you can do the thread project as well.

Best idea yet, and as for the scoffing at zombie comment...

29098_445319043711_512343711_5804636_5984281_n.jpg

And my saiga's mission statement:

29098_445319053711_512343711_5804637_371333_n.jpg

OK, this didn't work.

1 - I really am not an idiot.

2 - I will never humorously (attempted) mention zombies again.

3 - My suggestion, as one responder remarked, was well intentioned. After reading hours and hours of posts, it seemed like a good suggestion. The key to doing something like that is to have a deep and broad understanding and experience with the weapon, the market place, and the results of the multitude of parts and modifications. There are many conflicting opinions as to the success of some parts/vendors/modifications (e.g., adding a shock absorber inside the rear of the receiver). Yes I have read. No that does not provide me the skill set to do as I suggested. Even doing one conversion will not generate that level of expertise. To "cut and paste" for others you need that broad understanding and experience. I only want one. I believe I would like it to start with a 12K-040 Taktika if they become available and are of good quality (one post I found said they are made by the spare parts provider to the the actual SAIGS manufacturer and are crap - but this is an example of the sort of thing that needs to be filtered through experience). This is not going to be my hobby.

4 - I will now go inert until I see the target weapon become available or it is clear that it never will be imported or manufactured here.

lol at the vid, I watched the whole thing :lolol:

And don't take shit guys say serious, main thing is to look at what others have done and decide what you want.

I think the zombie thing is funny, I use it often.

It's a way for me to say I know I don't need this but I want. :smoke:

Feel free to copy my setup, it rocks. :super:

S12-1.jpg

Feel free to copy my setup, it rocks. :super:

S12-1.jpg

Not to trying to hijack but...

What kind of rear sight is that? I have the chaos quad w/out the sights and have been looking for other options for a longer sight radius. After looking again it doesnt look like they line up???

Ive also considered tapping the front and adding a single tritium bead but not sure how that would work with slugs.

OK, this didn't work.

1 - I really am not an idiot.

2 - I will never humorously (attempted) mention zombies again.

3 - My suggestion, as one responder remarked, was well intentioned. After reading hours and hours of posts, it seemed like a good suggestion. The key to doing something like that is to have a deep and broad understanding and experience with the weapon, the market place, and the results of the multitude of parts and modifications. There are many conflicting opinions as to the success of some parts/vendors/modifications (e.g., adding a shock absorber inside the rear of the receiver). Yes I have read. No that does not provide me the skill set to do as I suggested. Even doing one conversion will not generate that level of expertise. To "cut and paste" for others you need that broad understanding and experience. I only want one. I believe I would like it to start with a 12K-040 Taktika if they become available and are of good quality (one post I found said they are made by the spare parts provider to the the actual SAIGS manufacturer and are crap - but this is an example of the sort of thing that needs to be filtered through experience). This is not going to be my hobby.

4 - I will now go inert until I see the target weapon become available or it is clear that it never will be imported or manufactured here.

Just messing with you man. Welcome to the forum and like I said, I couldn't resist. The forum is yours, feel free to start that thread you were talking about.

Sorry, just a well understood cultural reference. It does yield an image of maximum performance.

And don't be silly; I am not 12. I am way older; 13 1/2. Remember, burnt powder residue is good for acne. Applied from the front, it fixes an even larger range of problems.

That is great, Mind if I use that line sometimes.

We need more funny dudes with a sense of humor on here.

I agree, it's hard to find stuff on here sometimes. We really could use a defragment on this forum.

Welcome to SAIGA 12.COM

TYBOY

I gave up trying to use the search function and not just on this forum, I'm just searchtarded. What I did when I got here was to read until there were no new posts showing. Then I went to the pic thread and found every part I thought I might like, found out what they were and where to get them.

Then went back to threads that I'd stacked in my favorites.

You'll quickly figure out what will work best for you and what you want, then you'll begin to understand what you can build and what you can afford.:ph34r: