recoil reduction options for S12

Yep, I'm a girlie man and I would like it if my S12 recoiled less. I do like leaving the range a little bruised, but I would like to be able to get back on target faster as my BCG really bucks me.

First of all, the gun is question is an 11.5" SBS. I have not modified the gas system AT ALL other than adding the GunFixer Gas plug. I can only get buck shot and slugs to function 100%.

So Here are my options:

1. Add weight to the gun, particularly thinking about adding some lead shot to the tube of my M4 type stock. I allredy wish the gun was lighter though, so I am not crazy about this idea but...

2. Black Jack buffer or similar: Prolly not cuz everyone says not to do it b/c it shortens the stroke of the BCG too much.

3. Muzzle Brake: I have a Tromix shark brake. It is more of a breecher devce than a brake. It. never made an appreciable difference in the 19" barrel guns. I wonder if it might w/ the 11.5" barrel though??? Could somoeone else recommend another brake?

4. mechanical captivated recoil reducing inner spring assembly in the action spring & op rod. I hear there are some mechanical sprung recoild reducing devices for AKs where by a an extra spring buffers the last bit of BCG travel a little... Any more on this. Does anyone know about this?

5. Collapsing shock absorbing stock. There are devices that have a shock absorber in an M4 type reciever extension for use on shot guns that have M4 type stocks. Maybe these aren't a good idea for the S12 as it might have the "limp wrist" effect on the gun and prevent the BCG from fully moving to the rear. .

Whaddayu think?

Edited by rightwingnut

As long as it is not the UTG one. Made the mistake of ordering one (wasn't paying attention and didn't see the UTG emblem). Hard as heck, and nothing like the Russian one I have. Also doesn't fit as tight as the Russian one either.

You can also go this route:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=699899

I got the Super Mag one for shooting my steel butt-plated Military Mausers for the same reason you are talking about.

I have heard these work quite well. I also have the rubber reducer for the stock. Once my conversion is done, I'll give them both a try.

We offer several different options for recoil reducing stocks. We install sealed steel mercury reducers on all types of stocks, as well as doing custom installation of recoil pads from Limbsaver and Kick Eez.

I'm working on a brand new recoil reducer for tactical and folding stocks, and will soon be posting pics of this one installed on the Ace, DPH, and Russian triangular (AK-100) stocks.

For now, here is a thread about the custom mercury reducer installs.

http://forum.saiga-1...educing-stocks/

+1 these also give a nice tuck in the shoulder pocket and are 'grippier' than a regular stock. Helps out a lot on the move if that's your thing but mainly absorb the recoil.

Also, they are designed for combloc stocks and probably won't fit the aftermarket US types

Z

Guys, as I stated in the OP, I am not looking to ease the pain. I am looking to get the gun running more smoothly so I can have faster follow up shots.

What I was really hoping for was a way to reduce the force of the impact of the BCG on the receiver, similar to the recoil reducing guide rods for pistols where there is an additional spring in there that compresses at the end of the back stroke to brake slide right before it hits the frame.

It seems to me that this could have a different effect than either using a stock w/ a shock absorber or a squishy gun butt/shoulder since it would not effect the speed of the BCG relative to the receiver untill the end of the back stroke after ejection if it was designed right.

An S12 uses a normal action spring & rod, common to other AKs right? Maybe I should post up in an AK forum...

Edited by rightwingnut

Guys, as I stated in the OP, I am not looking to ease the pain. I am looking to get the gun running more smoothly so I can have faster follow up shots.

What I was really hoping for was a way to reduce the force of the impact of the BCG on the receiver, similar to the recoil reducing guide rods for pistols where there is an additional spring in there that compresses at the end of the back stroke to brake slide right before it hits the frame.

It seems to me that this could have a different effect than either using a stock w/ a shock absorber or a squishy gun butt/shoulder since it would not effect the speed of the BCG relative to the receiver untill the end of the back stroke after ejection if it was designed right.

An S12 uses a normal action spring & rod, common to other AKs right? Maybe I should post up in an AK forum...

To me that still brings it back to the ammo being used along with how much gas is being converted to push the action. Might try a looser puck and unless your shooting at loins, tigers, and bears (oh my) the managed recoil slugs and buckshot are what is used by competitive shooters.

May I suggest the Jane Fonda workout? LOL.

J/k

Sorry OP, had to laugh at that one :lolol:

As far as faster followup goes, I think the S12 does well under high speed shooting. I don't imagine you'll need enough accuracy to double tap with slugs at 100m (maybe you will, I dunno)

That was made during the Tac47 autoplug testing and was 7 rounds of mixed high and low brass along with turkey shot. As you can see the muzzle doesn't jump around an insane amount, most of the shot looks to hit the same area on the ground (granted it's pretty close).

Z

how about this then?

buffer

To me that still brings it back to the ammo being used along with how much gas is being converted to push the action. Might try a looser puck and unless your shooting at loins, tigers, and bears (oh my) the managed recoil slugs and buckshot are what is used by competitive shooters.

A looser plug? I don't understand? Do you mean the puck?

To the other poster. What do you mean when you refer to this Tac 47 auto plug?

Finally, can anyone recommend a more effective brake than the shark brake? Thanks

might want to read it again ir said Puck the 1st time

there is a lot of information on the auto plug, it's self adjusting for whatever ammo you put in the gun.

yeah, last time I was looking at it on my blackberry and I coulndt see the video in theread and it was hard to remmeber all the questions I had.

I'll look into this "auto plug thing".

About this puck, I guess you mean the thing that hits the op rod to cycle the gun. Oh...it is that the looser puck lets more gas blow by it so there is less force applied to the op rod...

that tromix monster looks similar in its design to the shark, just longer and w/o the crennelation so much at the end. Is it possible that the monster brake has a smaller ID to creat more pressure?

If you are saying that brake works so well, I should probably give the shark a chance on the short barrel. If not that then I guess I'll look into one of those tank brake looking things.

i wouldnt mess with the puck, you dont want FTE's. i researched the auto plug too, and i heard that it tended to overgas some peoples guns badly. take it for what its worth, i dont know the conditions it was used in or if it was properly tuned, but im assuming it was properly done. i think the brakes are pretty close but the monster brake is like a shark brake on steroids. i dont think it has a smaller ID, but if you want to be sure start a topic on it. i think it might be bigger because i read in a post that the shark brake occasionally had wad catches and the monster brake didnt.

the competition brake is discontunued, and the monster brake is now only 170$, not 250$

"The Monster is opened up more then the Comp brake.I still need to test it though. I may have to open it up even more, but I don't think so.

Either way, there is plenty of material to make the bore larger if need be.

The Comp brake has already been extensively tested and it is fine with an .820 bore. " -Tony Rumore

heres the topic

i reccomend reading the whole topic.

How far does it eject out the casings? That might let you know if it's overgassed.

I'll look into this "auto plug thing".

Just to be clear, I'm not saying in anyway the autoplug reduces recoil, I posted the video just to show the S12 under high speed shooting. I don't have anything that reduces recoil other than the SVDS folder which is heavier than a regular Warsaw stock, just wanted to show that IMO they are quite controllable when you get on the trigger.

Z