Saiga 12 and &.7.62

I see all the videos and how to's on youtube and such. I have read all the info and it says its an easy conversion (this is normally coming from someone that has done hundreds of them). My problem is gunsmiths in my area have never done them, are in the process of doing their 1st conversion, or we have done a "few" and its $200 labor and an addition $100 to refinish it.

My question is should I pay the 300 or should I try it myself and use it for an excuse to buy a better work bench, vise and to add some more tools.

I have 2 Saiga 12's and a 7.62 so $900 bucks is a lot of change.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input.

Do it yourself!!! You'll learn a lot about the gun and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I did my 7.62 and 12 at the same time and had never done one before.

Just read up here, watch the videos on the vendors sites and search youtube for others. There is a wealth of information at your fingertips. Any questions you have were likely asked and answered here before, so you should be able to skate through the process. If you get hung-up or aren't sure of something...ask away.

Have fun!!

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-template/Videos-and-Links/Page

Edited by Parkerson

Just ordered some conversion kits from CSS myself. I guess I call my self mechanically inclined. I will wait for the parts to get here and see what all it entails. Lunker thanks for the link it is bookmarked along with a few others.

You'll be fine. It does feel a little odd to drill rivets out of a firearm at first, but you get used to it. The trigger on your 762 will be worlds better after the conversion. Like others have said, CSS vids are good, and there is a good thread here with lots of pics. Just take your time.

I had never done one either before a few months ago, and did both mine and my buddy's gun. Both conversions came out great. its really not a difficult process at all. Just take your time while drilling/grinding to not damage your reciever by scratching it etc. You will need to repaint the receiver anyway, so even if you do, it will be masked. Like mentioned above, you will know that gun inside and out by the time your done. its worth it just for that alone.

The only "scary" part is drilling out the 3 rivets in the bottom of the receiver. Then you drop $8 on some flat black engine paint, and give the bottom of the receiver, or whole gun 3 or 4 light coats of paint. Let it cure a week, and then all your parts will drop into place easy peasy. I'd recommend lightly polishing the hammer with some sandpaper too. Just follow all the steps in the CSS videos, and it's a piece of cake. Trust me, if I can do it, then you can do it.

Once you get in there and "do it" you will be amazed how easy it is. You will wonder why you even considered having someone else do it for you. Besides it forces you to learn more about your guns. Just remember if you think you need to get a bigger hammer, STOP and rethink the situation or ask someone for clarification(personal experience). But if you do use the bigger hammer rest assured it is an AK and fixing the screw-up is pretty easy. These guns are quite forgiving.

The only "scary" part is drilling out the 3 rivets in the bottom of the receiver. Then you drop $8 on some flat black engine paint, and give the bottom of the receiver, or whole gun 3 or 4 light coats of paint. Let it cure a week, and then all your parts will drop into place easy peasy. I'd recommend lightly polishing the hammer with some sandpaper too. Just follow all the steps in the CSS videos, and it's a piece of cake. Trust me, if I can do it, then you can do it.

Dremmel the front and rear rivet smooth with a rotary carbide bit, instead of drilling. Leaves no unsightly holes and looks really clean.

Takes a little more time but well worth the effort.

• 3 weeks later...

do yourself a favor and forget about drilling the rivets. take hand grinder and put a cutting wheel on. only do this if you have a steady hand.

put the gun in a vise.

start by cutting the first rivet near the but end.

once you cut off that rivet take the trigger guard and bend it back and it will snap right off.

then cut off rivets from but to barrel.

take a punch and knock the rivets out and you are done.

you can do!

They look good, godfatherJ! You had a great feeling of accomplishment when you got done too, didn't ya?!? That is the BEST part of the conversion for me.

Yes that and the 600 dollars I used to buy a work bench and the correct tools to do the conversion instead of giving it to the gunsmiths in my area.

I have 1 more saiga 12 I will convert and send it out to be cut down to a shorty.

Before January of 2010, I had never even held a Saiga 12 in my hands and this is my second conversion.

post-22401-0-08359900-1301235289_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-30865000-1301235314_thumb.jpg

If you are even poor/fair with your hands and barely resourceful, you can do as good a job converting as a professionally done Saiga 12 conversion that I saw recently. I will not name the company, so please DO NOT ask (not even via PM). "Lazy hack job" was an appropriate phrase and "poorly executed" is an understatement. Do it yourself. It is just stupid-easy, especially if you use a DIY trigger guard.

.... and post some pics ;)

ETA: TAC47 pressed the folder trunnion rivets. I would have done it myslef if I had the tools, but I wanted to be a tight ass. They did good pressing the rivets.

Edited by evlblkwpnz