New Saiga Enthusiast

Ever since I heard about the Saiga 12, about five years ago, I knew I had to have one. I saw one at the local dealer the other day and finally decided to pull the trigger. I probably won't convert it, because unfortunately I live in NY. I can't wait to put some rounds through it. i'm hoping it will cycle alright, otherwise I will be ordering a gas plug. This is my first AK variant, but I am already thinking about a Saiga 7.62x39. You can definitely tell it's not built like an AR!

post-32124-0-45142300-1299790155_thumb.jpg

Edited by recon701

I really like my Saiga, but if you are going to go 7.62x39, go with a real AK. The awesome thing about the Saigas is that you can have an AK pattern rifle in 223, 308. 410, 20 etc.

They are very customizable, but the problem is that they need customization out of the factory. So if you want a second, get a wierd caliber like 223 and convert the thing. JMO

Edited by Dwarvenlord1

Some? I can't imagine not adding Dinzag's Gas Block mod for the upper hand guard, lower hand guard retainer, front elevated sight, AK muzzle break, new trigger group, new stock set, misc internals like a shepherd's crook and modified safety lever so it all goes back together right, and a complete refinish of the entire rifle. Essentially keep the receiver and the barrel and start over.

Don't get me wrong, it is fun, it is just $600-800 of addons to get an AK. Hell, I would convert 10 of em in different ways if I had the money, but it is extensive.

Edited by Dwarvenlord1

Welcome recon701 from a fellow NYer. I hope it works well for you. If not a gas plug isn't going to help a lot. There are different things you should try first. Start reading here... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/50571-how-do-i-polish-the-bolt/ and http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/55377-my-saiga-12-from-start-to-finish/ . The stickies are your friend.

• Like 1

First range report: cycled everything I threw at it fine. I did about 10 Winchester slugs on gas setting one. 20 Federal low-brass #8 shot, and 20 Winchester low-brass #6 shot on gas setting two. Only had one FTF and no FTE's. I was using the stock 5 round mag and Surefire 10 round mags. I haven't done any mods to it yet, just hand cycled the action a little bit and put some CLP on it. I checked out the gas holes, and it does have three and all look clear.

That was the good news, the bad news is the BHO got stuck inside my gun when I went to load another magazine. I didn't have any tools with me, and that prematurely ended my shooting for the day. I wanted to put at least 100 rounds through it. I ended up having to take the dustcover off and pry the bolt spring out. I am going to tap the BHO tab and put a set screw in there like I saw someone else on here do. It definitely was a real pain in the ass, and makes me question the reliability with the gun. It definitely doesn't seem as solid as my AR.

I attached a couple pictures of my pain in the ass BHO.

post-32124-0-65670600-1300412141_thumb.jpg

post-32124-0-45168500-1300412152_thumb.jpg

post-32124-0-30892400-1300412163_thumb.jpg

their was a cat from Ny on hear that did a nice looking saiga with a thumbhole stock behind the receiver to stay in the law you should look up his thread.

We're f***'ed if cats and other animals get a hold of Saiga 12's!

cat-with-gun.jpg

cat_gun.jpg

cat_machine_gun_cat.jpg

Cat%2BTax-cat%2Bwith%2Bgun%2Blooking%2Bout%2Bwindow-760030.jpg

090314-gun-cat.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. hahaha

their was a cat from Ny on hear that did a nice looking saiga with a thumbhole stock behind the receiver to stay in the law you should look up his thread.

We're f***'ed if cats and other animals get a hold of Saiga 12's!

cat-with-gun.jpg

cat_gun.jpg

cat_machine_gun_cat.jpg

Cat%2BTax-cat%2Bwith%2Bgun%2Blooking%2Bout%2Bwindow-760030.jpg

090314-gun-cat.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. hahaha

Good one :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I'll think about modding it after I put a few hundred more rounds through it. I'm glad it functioned well for the first 50 rounds, with just one FTF and no FTE's. I fixed the BHO and hopefully I can get out and shoot some more rounds through it soon.

I'm thinking about purchasing the stock below when I get around to modding it. It's made in the USA, but I'm not sure how NY friendly it is.

post-32124-0-81161000-1300484653_thumb.jpg