Customization  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How much customization is too much?

• The more the better! STARSHIP TROOPERS BABY!!
    • Why keep it "normal"? Make it unique!
    • Add some mods to make it easier to use, but keep the controls the same.
    • Keep it classic. Don't reinvent the wheel.

I debated whether to have this in the General section, the Tech section or here. Hopefully this will do.

Having to deal with an injured right hand and wrist that affects my dexterity, I've probably tried more custom accessories on fireams than many folks have. After years of trying different mods, I often return to the original configuration, or something close to it. Probably because I just learned how to work a conventional setup rather than trying to add parts to mod the weapon to my needs. This isn't always the case, but it got me wondering......

What is the general consensus in regards to customization? I don't mean custom paint jobs or thicker butt pads, but things that change how you must interact with the weapon (left side charging handle, vert grips, custom safety setups or anything else that requires a different manner of handling things). I can see both sides of the coin here: One line of thought would say that the easier a weapon conforms to you (ergonomics, if you like), the faster and easier it will be to use. Utilizing natural motions to load, charge and reload your weapon only makes sense. Thus a left handed safety (for leftys) or left side charging handle or some other setup might gain favor, depending on the shooter.... The other side would say that having to learn different routines to use your custom firearm would limit your skill set/muscle memory if you had to use another similar weapon, but without all the custom features. This assumes you're training with your firearms to become more efficient and safe, as we all should.

So, is it better to have a weapon with controls in different locations than the norm, if it works better for you? Or would you say that's just a band aid to try and fix the problem and you should instead learn how to use a weapon in a configuration that 90% of the other folks out there have? I'm not talking about range toys here. I'm talking about the firearm(s) you'll train with and, if need be, use in an emergency to save lives.

• Like 1

Personally I like to keep things as they are unless there is a real compelling reason to make a change. I have resisted the urge for left side charging handles because I want all my AK based guns to be the same and I don't want to pay to have them all converted.

• Like 4

If you do the work to make it custom its a repeatable thing and I wouldn't worry about it.

Heres another aspect to look at. If your more comfortable and can shoot more, or it being custom makes you want to shoot it more, that will aid muscle memory to that setup.

I bet bobba debt dosn't have a hard time finding his way around a bullpup ak.

How about a poll over what is the best size shoe to wear? :)

My point is that there is no best answer, I made mine work the best for "me." Your needs may vary!

• Like 2

I didn't place a vote because none of your answers were relevant to why I "customize" my firearms.

I have something like a dozen firearms (big whoppie, right?), and all but my Browning Citori XS Special O/U skeet gun, have been customized to one degree or another.

BLUF: For me, every firearm that I have owned, once I've received it, has screamed at me for customized improvement. For the most part (and obviously this is a matter of pure personal opinion), it's my perception that firearms manufactures "just do enough" to get the firearm out into the hands of the user. Such of course is one of the reasons why aftermarket products for firearms is such a huge sub-industry.

Generally, I don't readily consider "bolt on or snap on accessories" as customization. Of course, some might argue that if such is my stance, then there would exist a grey area with regards to "drop in" component parts. So be it.

I just feel that if the "customization" (however one defines it) does not improve the function, performance and ergonomics of the firearm for the owner, then the part or mod is fucktarded mall ninja eye wash. Yet, while pursuing such improvements, one need not overlook making the firearm more esthetically pleasing. Yet of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

FWIW.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3

i am in the same boat as you with me haveing a metal plate and 3 screws in my left wrist and nerve damage in my left hand causing me to lose all strength at any time.i tend to make my weapons more comfortable to be used by me.sometimes they might not be asthetically pleasing to others but whatever allows me to shoot is what i will do.

• Like 1

"Add some mods to make it easier to use, but keep the controls the same" is my vote. The only thing I change on any long gun, control-wise, is VFG's. I like them and they're conducive to my shooting style. Otherwise, the basic controls remain untouched on my stuff.

Don't get me wrong though, it's not like I pick up a rifle/shotgun without a VFG and have no idea how to work it, lol.

Azrial: According to online sources, a men's 9 or 9.5 is the most common. Depends on the maker and the region though. :D

Byron: Mine was a 12 ga through the palm and out the back of the wrist. Ruined my whole day. :rolleyes:Picture

Shooter: I've gone back and forth on VFGs. They ARE more comfortable for me, but harder to do shoulder transitions with, so it varies. Might try the Magpul AFG.

One of the mods I do to pretty much all my AKs is to add a 50 cent rubber stopper over the charging handle. It's like a rubber cork that you just drill a hole into and slide over the handle. It doesn't require you to do anything different when loading, it's just more comfortable:

plug.jpg

Edited by Corbin

Azrial: According to online sources, a men's 9 or 9.5 is the most common. Depends on the maker and the region though. :D ...

Sorry, I wear a size 17, so I guess these online polls will not help me... :rolleyes:

Well, clearly I have customized quite a few guns, not nearly the most, but plenty.

Even some of my own are highly customized.

To me, personally, it depends on what the gun is for. Range toys, do whatever floats your boat.

For serious use, if you even remotely anticipate needing to pick up something else that is the same as what yours started out as, then maybe the customization should be left to enhancements rather than serious changes that make operating the weapon different.

The exception to this would be major changes that improve an odd weapon to work with more readily available components, or an odd weapon that is not likely to be encountered or parts not likely to be encountered.

I like the Left side charging handle to an extent, but like to have a right side handle too.

I'm working on a set of 4 with dual charging handles at present, one of which is a dual "Pauly's Piston" left & right lightened horizontal charging setup for the race guys.

I've been pushing My vertical charging handles more than the left though, because I figure those who know how to use a vertical charging handle will use it for it's tactical advantage, but those who don't will use it with their right hand like normal.

This is why I set my vertical charging handles slightly away from the receiver.

So I guess it's once again about that fine balance.

When building a gun, one should consider someone other than himself may be covering him with it at some point in the future.

• Like 1

I have varying opinions on this topic. My AR's are my go to guns and I have way more time and actual training with them. So I build them in a way that fits me but also keeping in mind that I should be able to pick up any random AR and make it run just as well. This means no extra crap around the trigger area, ie: no BAD lever, no ambi crap. I advise my customers the same when asked.

Now for my saiga 12 that I am currently building, I consider it a "fun" gun so I am tailoring it to my wants, not my needs. So far it has a custom LHCH, and it will get an extended mag release and larger tab on the safety to make it index finger operable. And I have to admit, after my first complete test fit tonight that LHCH is the cats ass! I have never enjoyed the AK action this much. :)

If the AK platform were my "go to" gun that I did a larger majority of training with I would most likely not be adding all these wants.

The "what do you want to use it for" question should always be asked and this is just another case.

If you have a need build to it, if you have a want, evaluate the short and long term goals. Then build.

Edited by bpipe95
  • 4 months later...

Personally I like to keep things as they are unless there is a real compelling reason to make a change. I have resisted the urge for left side charging handles because I want all my AK based guns to be the same and I don't want to pay to have them all converted.

+3, best answer given so far.

Im like you. I have several injuries that limit my abilities to do a majority of things. One of which is shooting comfortably. Its just one of those things. My thoughts are, set up your personal weapon so that it is easiest and most enjoyable to use. Try to keep the basic system the same. God forbid you should lose yours in a battlefield scenario, the familiarity will work in your favor if you have to "pick up" a weapon from the fallen. Were you 1st, 2nd, 3rd Battalion or Rgmt HQ? "RLTW"

• Like 1

ORF: 3rd at Benning, though I moved around a bit, later. RLTW!

Given my limitations with my right hand, my main issue with a stock AK is the safety. Everything else I can more or less make work. A vert grip up front is more comfortable for me, but whatever.

I'm currently experimenting with the safety on my Saiga 223:

safety.jpg

The safety is still activated when the top/front of the safety is alligned with the top of the receiver. It requires about 3/8" movement downward to deactivate. I added a couple detent holes and a stop. With the safety in the "middle" position (middle pic), the safety is still on. Pulling the charging handle to the rear pushes it down and deactivates it.

*EDIT*

I just made this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1pnei-ync

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

As for me, I've never met a firearm I couldn't fuck up :rolleyes: Most guns can be helped with some mild tweeking. Nate shared some ideas on a western mag release for a CZ52 that I think is one of the best mods I've ever done to a firearm. Corbin, do what ever makes it work for you. The only two mods that ever made me uncomfortable was a 9mm AK that I took back apart and scrapped, and cutting on the trunion of a .223 Saiga to install a UA magwell adapter that I continue to always keep an eye on. If it doesn't effect the safe operation of the firearm, do what you want. See the last line in the Gunfixr sig line, I think that says it all......

• 3 months later...

I like to keep mods functional or ergonomic. My stuff is all fixed stock, the wife cannot shoot from the shoulder due to failed back surgery, so hers have UF stocks. I like the AK platform and the controls are instinctive for all except those who were AR trained. It's almost always best to stick with the KISS principle! Those who like bling are welcome to it - but to me some of the custom guns are more a work of art than a basic tool, I love to see the wonderful craftsmanship and admire the ingenuity and pretty paint, but my personal preference is for clean and functional!

• 3 months later...

It's your gun by all means as long as it's not illegal go for it. I like moding if it's tasteful or adds value or puprose to said guns. But some mods are stupid, and some are just down right awesome. AKA the bottle opener on the rail. because sometimes a gun needs to be useful other then shooting. big_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

A finely customized weapon is pleasing to the eyes as well as a solid performer on the range, field, or in combat.

Here is a beautiful example of a custome home defense (or even combat) shotgun. Sadly it is not mine, but I have been studying the images in hopes of building my own copy....

BubbasTacticalShotgun.jpg

Here is another example of a nicely done gun, simple, sleek, but unfortunately attractive to weasels...

plasma_ferret.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...