136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currently doing this.     Hope to get into this. Apprenticeship opening up in the next few weeks.   I wouldnt want to do any other kind of work since i've been in the outside electrical trade

For the time being (past 3 years) me and my bachelor's degree work in a refrigerated warehouse building pallets. It pays better than any job offers I've had. It's cold (0 to -40 degrees), I lift heavy

Posted Images

Retired a decade ago. Gave up part-time teaching 2 years back. I was ready to retire after 35 years in education...the burn-out factor had hit me hard. I am quite happy being a dog-sitter while my wife still has to work ! :dollar:

For the time being (past 3 years) me and my bachelor's degree work in a refrigerated warehouse building pallets. It pays better than any job offers I've had. It's cold (0 to -40 degrees), I lift heavy boxes all day, I have to maintain a certain speed (I get an incentive bonus for being efficient though) and I'm usually exhausted after work.

The good is that I also get a quarterly bonus of roughly 10 percent of the money I earned that quarter, my bonus for incentive pay, paid time off for attending safety meetings, flexible scheduling that I can change with only a weeks notice, if I'm late, they don't care I just have to work my full 8 hours on that day, I drive a pallet jack through pools of blood from boxes of pigs or chickens sometimes, some days they put up a sign that you can go home early if you want and I can pay all of my bills and expenses and still have money left over only working part time.

I would rather be making more money in my major, but I can't complain about what I've got.

• Like 1

I voted for liking my job. I love the work, the free time during my shift (midnights), the people I work with, the organization I work for, and the smug sense of self-satisfaction I get from doing my job. On the other hand, I've been working there for seven years and am still on the bottom of the seniority ladder. There's also the depressing realization that the times my job is the most personally satisfying are the times when someone else is in crisis. The other 90% of the time I'm just waiting for something bad to happen to someone.

I voted for liking my job. Its not exactly my dream job but it has its perks. I work in the car industry. Small, specialized car lot. Mainly dealing with ex government cars and some regular cars. Also we have a car transport business with 2 car carriers and an car export business. Its kinda a one stop shop if you want to find a half million dollar car and have it shipped half way across the world. I've gotten to drive pretty much everything from cheap little Kia's to Bentley sport cars and everything in between. My job requires that most of my day is spent drinking coffee, smoking, sitting on the computer, sitting on he phone, walking around, and drinking some more coffee! There are times when it gets hectic but thats rare. We also drink on the job!! Ok thats not exactly professional but its cool. Winter time about 3 bottle a week. Hey its an old building with glass for walls the heater can only do so much! Summer time 1-2. My boss covers my health insurance, while not the greatest its good to have it and it covers the more important costly stuff like prescription meds if I needed and hospitals. Also vacations and days off are pretty easy to get. No paperwork to fill out no waiting. I just let him know "hey I need off this Friday" or "I'm taking 3 weeks of in June" and thats it.

Shipping cars you get to meet some interesting people. Once we had a guy fly over from Russia. He found us through a friend of a friend of a friend. We had talked on the phone and the type of car he wanted (cant remember what it was) was around $30k. I drove to pick him up from the airport and we had a huge delay. He flew over with a briefcase full of cash!! $30k in cash!! Well all kinds of red flags went up at customs. But finally he was allowed to enter the country. Would have been easer with a certified check or a wire transfer.

Another time we had a 1995 Toyota T100 4x4 pickup on the lot. 3 African guys showed up to look at it. They test drove it for about 30 seconds. The rest of the time they spent checking the suspension and measuring the bed. They bought it and said it was going to Africa as an "assault truck" to have an MG mounted in the bed!

Shipped a fully equipped crown vic police car to Kazakhstan once. Another time the Kazakh government wanted supped up GMC Denalis'. They saw Condalisa Rice and her entourage use them once on a visit there so they wanted the same. That was a pain in the ass. The engine they use, huge v10 gasoline, was only made for a few years and was no longer in mass production. Only in specialized vehicles. Then it had to be armoured as well. It took forever to track down a company that did the engine and armour conversions.

Had an order for 24 Harleys to Maldova. Good thing there is a Harley dealer a few miles away! Got to spend a day drivng various Harleys!!! :super:

Pretty unique job and overall I cant complain there are a lot harder jobs out there that pay less and a lot of people less fortunate who want but cant find jobs!

Edited by Arik

I voted for "looking for work". Presently, looking for a police enforcement job; guess who choose the worst time to try and be a cop? :ded:

Right now, I'm working a lifeguard job under city employment. It's decent, but I want a job that has more of a future.

I love my career...it's more than a job...I run an amusement attraction that makes me money and people that so it happy...I also own an entertainment company that offers some really cutting edge fun stuff...I have a Vault Laser Challenge wheree you have to spy your way through a room filled with laser alarms...I also have portable lasertag that can be inside outside light or dark...plus I got inflatables and I DJ also...check it out at www.bigdogentertainment.biz ...not advertising as I know hardly no one from here is in my servicing area...lol

I voted "I tolerate it", for my current job. I'll be starting a new job at the local jail at the end of this month, and hopefully I like it.

I do miss my last job, though. Busting my ass working in a warehouse was supplement for having to actually work out to stay in shape. I actually randomly found pictures from my girl and I's "going away" party last July in NY. I looked ripped and cut and it was all from my job, and I miss that. I've packed on 15LBS since being down here. I gotta get in some kinda routine to knock it back off.

Voted "like It", been doing the same thing for over 30 years, repairing, servicing, & selling vacuum pumps and air compressors. mainly in the hospitals for medical breathing air and vacuum for the gross stuff. Only had 1 pump in the whole time that had "blood & guts" in it, major malfunction in the system and filled the pump up, when we cracked the flanges loose to remove the pump, blood ran all in the floor, out the door and onto the sidewalk, we where in a small equipment room right by the road, people freaked, cops came and then the explaining started, It was a fricking mess. It's also kinda weird and cool at the same time to ride the elevator up from the basement with a stiff and see the look on peoples faces when the doors open. Used to do service work in nuclear power plants, but it's too much of a hassle now, if you ever get a chance to go on the hot side, it'll blow your mind from the things you'll see. Best job was servicing a compressor on the U.S.N.S. Range Sentenal at Cape Canaveral, years ago, got a BIRDS eye view of the launch of a rocket with a satelite, from aboard ship out in the water. Biggest OH SHIT why did I take this job was one out in the Gulf Of Mexico aboard a bunch of barges, they couldn't get the priming pump working to prime the centrifugal pump to off load, what I found out, AFTER I was already aboard the tugs, was they where loaded with denatured alcohol, and I wondered why I got searched, they took anything that would make a spark or flame, and then had to fill out forms for "next of kin notification".

All in all, I enjoy what I do, but there's some weird ass stuff that you have to mess with, and most, if it goes "ah shit", won't even leave enough of you to make a greasy spot.

Retired from the military so now everything else is kind of tame. I know I'm not going to deploy to some shit hole so life's good in a way but you miss the friendships of working that close with people in all kinds of situations and places. Hats off to those who still serve.

Now I'm the GM at a very small molding plant, being GM is more like being chief cook and bottle washer. Some days are great, some days suck so bad I think about putting in ear plugs. Everything revolves around money of course what to spend it on and the biggest pain in the ass is getting people to pay on time. Making tooling and parts is pretty simple compared to quoting the cost and getting the same people who just had to have something a month ago to pay for what they ordered.

The more you deal with people the better you like your dog and you'd shoot the dog.:lolol:

(voted love it because I get paid and I'm in no danger of working myself to death here.)

Just working with a piece of steel or wood. Molding it into something is very calming. "quoting the cost and getting the same people who just had to have something a month ago to pay for what they ordered." sucks. +1

Juggs you need to have a sit down with that boss of yours, get a fifth of Jack and let him know how you really feel.

Edited by Dad2142Dad

I must love my job...I am a Tattoo artist currently, and the benefits are not Health care, but they do involve nice young ladies! I really enjoy my work and do take it very seriously. I am at the shop for 60 hours a week, AND I take projects home with me! Homework at the age of 43, Who'd of thought!!!

TV makes Tattooing look Glamorous but it takes up your whole life and all of your time, if you are serious about it. Good thing I was raised with a strong work ethic.

I work in EMS, the hours are sometimes long but its usually a different thing every day. Plus I usually get lots of time off (working maybe 12 days a month @ 24 hrs at a time) cant complain too much ... it pays the bills and lets me "waste" the rest on toys

mine sucks donkey balls. 6 months ago I had 4 different jobs, the wife said I was working to much so now I'm down to just one (I occasionally still go to one of my "play" jobs). I work with family....which is good and bad, I'd mostly just like to have that family relationship outside of work though. I was really lucky at a young age, started riding fire trucks for a living immediately, did some security stuff, instructed fire and rescue stuff, ran my own business.........Now I'm stuck behind this Fing desk.............. :anger:

well shit, this thread is depressing.

Hopefully my future business plans take off and I can get out of this boredom/rut/learning experience.

My job "could be" a very fun and rewarding one but management and command always fuck it up... turf war and political issues... not enough "get it done" for the soldiers. Multimedia development training (distance learning... eLearning).

Edited by Mike1234567

It's a tough call. I voted "like" only because it's not what I really want to do. But it's getting me there. I Trim and Shoe Horses for a living, so staying in shape is a perk, though my endurance is a little low. With the price of gas, (and thus EVERYTHING else) going up, it's gonna get tougher to make it. Fifty more horses on my schedual would make me comfortable. 100 more and I'll be shiny.

Worked for Caterpillar Tractor for 30 years. Skilled trades, tool room machinist and machine repair. Retired. Worked for Walmart for 11 years in sporting goods selling firearms and other stuff. Now for the most part Retired and playing with all the toys I have accumulated over the years. Still don't seem to get anything done. Course have four grown sons, a grandson and a wife that keeps me out of mischief as well. Also somewhere along there I was involved in the ownership of a small manufacturing business. Pretty much enjoyed much of what I was involved in. Yes like all jobs there were plenty of bad days to temper the good ones.