Your job.  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

I love it, I now get to spend most of my day taking care of my granddaughter who will be 3 years old next month. There is nothing more satisfing in life. I missed so much when my daughter was growing up.

• Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currently doing this.     Hope to get into this. Apprenticeship opening up in the next few weeks.   I wouldnt want to do any other kind of work since i've been in the outside electrical trade

For the time being (past 3 years) me and my bachelor's degree work in a refrigerated warehouse building pallets. It pays better than any job offers I've had. It's cold (0 to -40 degrees), I lift heavy

Posted Images

Tolerated it. I was a GIS Technician with a local municipality. You know, computer generated mapping, aerial photos, etc. Unfortunately my boss gave me all the shit work cleaning up data, stuff he couldn't be bothered with. Bored the shit out of me... imagine 40 hours a week of basically playing connect the dots or rearranging crooked lines on property plats... if I was lucky I got to do a aerial or map once a month.

4 years on and going nowhere fast, then a family member got ill and I had to miss work to carry people to the doc, or wait on them while they were sick, etc. Work appreciated this so much they let me go, after having previously assured me that I was covered under the Family Leave Act, etc. My boss was a idiot of the first degree, and he and his cronie in HR found a loophole to use to let me go.

Oh well, currently looking, drawing my benefits, and can take care of my own when I need to now. This is a opportunity to find something I will enjoy, plus now I can go to the range when I damn wel feel like it! B)

I replied that i love my job. I work for a contract security company at a specific site and it is very enjoyable. The physical security part of it is really good but the part that I enjoy the most is the instructing...firearms, chemical weapons, expandable baton. It pays very well and I set my own hours for training. It will be the place that I retire from.

I cannot vote by default, as I am self employed and I love it. however, i am always looking for more work.

what do i do?

I do everything. Ill put a roof on your home, or crawl under a trailer, or pour a driveway for you....

it pays the bills......

I liked the gun business, but the people i worked with paid me dollars an hour for my time, and i made more in a couple weeks here than i made in 7 months doing that. but we wont go there......F U dude. yers, im stabbing you even here.

....people here owe me money, actually....come to think of it....

yeh, i like going on different sites every week, i like the pay, and i like that im my own boss. im not a rich man, but im happy doing what i do....

I love my job (or self employment) regardless of what I'm doing.

If I get tired of it, I choose to do something else. Life's far too short to be all depressed & doing something uninteresting, or that you hate. There's MUCH more to the definition of wealth than money.

I've never been fired from a job & any employer I've had has always told me that "the door's always open" when I leave to do something else.

Whether I'm wearing steel toed work boots, or wingtips, I always do my absolute best to excel to the top of my field.

If I get there & get bored, it's time for a change.

I'm not happy unless my head's spinning.

I love a challenge.

unlike paul, I have walked out, quit, been fired, been sued even. i have burnt bridges.

and i like it that way.

most of you wouldnt believe the jobs i have had, nor the opportunities i have burned.

its just life to me.......

im intimate with the 8088 and the x86 and almost anything electronic, as well, but im retired from that line of work officially.

show me a house. im on it. I used to love guns with a passion....until OHIO. now I love arrows. (and i have over a million rounds off of my shoulder....whats that tell ya)

love it and hate it.....depends on the day of the week, folks....but its me....

post-83-0-00882200-1299921701_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-94406900-1299921892_thumb.jpg

Edited by BVamp

There's been a lot of interesting stories here. I never said what I do. I went with love it, because 50% of the time I am reading, playing on the web or making projects on the machines while my cnc machine runs itself. 25% I am doing industrial maintenance to robots, forklifts, etc. The other 25% I am doing mindless labor when someone calls in sick. That 25% I hate. This January I'll have 30 paid days off/year!

I put tolerate. I work for a major automotive company in project engineering

bringing in equipment to make the lines work with a new model or new vehicle, or

faster, or any big change.

Don't use my degree much, and, although it was nice when I got overtime and worked

at home location, it sucks being on the road, and the pay was nerfed when the economy

went bad, and they use it as an excuse to treat us poorly.

About to get five years in, along with a bunch of others, and I bet a lot of people will

be quitting. Maybe that will make HR listen.

• Like 1

I have been the elevator man for 42 years come June. Good at what I do which makes troubleshooting fun, but day to day maintenance gets boring. Looking forward to every day being Saturday!

I am working as a public school janitor, and I despise it. I did not have problems with it for the first several years or so (I have been doing it for the past six and a half years in two different districts), but it really became stultifying after awhile. Admittedly, I am probably better off than a lot of people my age (I am 25 years old and I am studying for a license that will bring my salary to $40K/yr.), but I am hoping to eventually get out of this field of work. I am toying with the idea of sniffing out a flight school and becoming a helicopter pilot.

The thing that really sucks about my job is that it isn't something that I will leave behind at the drop of a hat. It pays far more than any other job I could find, given that I do not have a college degree and I most of my work experience involves janitorial things, so it is not like I could easily enter a different field without any training. And with the way the economy happens to be going, finding any job is difficult (over 200 people applied for a position that opened up where I work a few months ago). As long as there are good prospects for entry level work for a new helicopter pilot with a license, I will work on flight school while going to work. If the job prospects for a pilot without 1000+ hours of flight time under his belt are bad, I will have to continue working here for some time until I can think of something else. If I am stuck working here, I will have to try to work my way up into the maintenance crew over the years.

I do not have the time or money to go back to college for eight years, so a job in a life sciences field (evolutionary biology) is sadly out of the question for me. :cry:

Edited by 7N6Wolf

I work in transportation, engineer for a RR. It's cool, because every time I go to work, it's with a different person. 99.9% are really cool people I work with, and all are professional. You really get to know people when you spend that much time with them in an enclosed area. I'm not stuck in an office with the same people everyday. The run I make is mostly rural, and it is cool seeing the different changes through the seasons, lot's of wildlife and stuff. I hate being away from home, but it's like a weekend off every time I am at home. I voted love it. I couldn't think of ever going back to a 9 to 5 every day deal. There are times when you miss things, like nephews football games, holidays and such. But a lot of other jobs would cause you to miss those same things, and there are times when you can be there, when a regular job wouldn't allow it. Gotta take the lemon with the merangue.

I put down I love my job. I fix power plants, (Fossil plants) managing the the people who do the work on turbines or generators from 200 to 500 MW's. Used to do the tools but being the boss does have it's advantages, like I can still play when I feel like it. Learned my trade from the US Navy so it was an easy transition into what I do now. Do everything from mechanical, electrical to controls. The reason I like it so much, is it's like playing with a giant erector set and the satisfaction is there when it starts up and runs. :D

I made an entry back at the start of this thread about being happily retired...and I am, but let me tell you about my career that led to the retirement.

I entered the teaching profession back in the '60's. Jobs in the H S Social Studies area were slim-to-none in the New England area. (I went to Salem State in MA). I found a job in upstate New York, mainly because I was a Vietnam Vet and would not be drafted during my employment there. I had never experienced the winters of Upstate NY before..and hope to never see them again !

So we went to New Jersey, without knowing that the housing costs were way high over a Teacher's pay-range...and jobs were cutting back as the tax issues squeezed the districts. I liked what I was doing, but lost out in a RIF since my seniority was low. The lay-off was tough. I found a couple of jobs that helped pay the bills, but weren't connected to my career and I was miserable. That lasted two years. At least I managed to complete my Graduate degrees during that time, so it wasn't a total waste.

Then I got hired by a college in Indiana and we moved to the job. Several years later, and after a nasty Divorce (is there any other kind?), I headed home to SoCal to start over. I was hired by the high school district that I had attended as a kid, and the local Community College also (major child-support payments going back to Indiana). Did that for several years, until the kids were over the payment age, and new wife and I wanted to lighten our work load a bit. So I took a buyout from the district and 'we' retired. Actually she worked a few days a week to cover her health insurance while I was covered under the district agreement I had worked under.

I still (10 plus years after leaving) stay in touch wih several of my former students...a real feeling of satisfaction for me, that covers all the administrative B S that soured the job at times. All in All I would say that I didn't earn a whole lot of bucks over the years, but it was a real fun time and kept me (and my family) provided for in many ways.

OK, Now you know "The Rest of the Story !!

TV makes Tattooing look Glamorous but it takes up your whole life and all of your time, if you are serious about it.

Agreed. I also tattoo and the view I have of it now as opposed to when I FIRST started are very different. I was very fortunate to be able to get into this industry as easily/quickly as I did. Just like anything else it has its crap days, but for the most part I love my "job" and all the excitement that comes with it. It's hard to beat going to "work" to draw pictures on people, bullshit, and listen to music all day. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, but if it's ever NOT FUN anymore, I've got 2 college degrees to try falling back onto.

gijoeee.jpg

I've been a Chiropractor for the past thirty years and really love it. I love it even more now that I stopped taking insurance and now charge a flat $20 office visit. I hate to think of new doctors trying to deal with practice in this envirnoment.

Damn, that's cheaper then my co-pay. Can I come for a visit? :dollar::super:

No problem! The whole health care mess needs to start over and try to get it right this time. I can tell you that I've made care available to alot of people that normally could never afford it. Besides once you get rid of all the paperwork and government crap, practice is actually fun again.

I am the Powerhouse Supervisor at a fine old Brewery. We are not nationwide yet, but we have just surpassed Samuel Adams as the largest American owned Brewery, from the standpoint of barrels of beer produced. Our output been growing at more than 10% annually, for the last 10 years.