Saiga 12 Thumbhole stock

I am new to this site and unfortunately live in NY where just saying the work gun is illegal LOL...I recently found a thumbhole stock that looks pretty good considering, only problem is its for a milled receiver...Is there anyway this can be made to fit the stamped receiver that is on the saiga 12? If not, can anyone suggest a decent looking thumbhole stock that would work? These stupid ass NY laws are killing me. 13 years to retire then Florida here i come LOL..Also, I would like to do the FCG on my gun as well, so I would need a thumbhole stock that would allow this to be done

thanks

John

Yeah, I saw that stock-was going to order it but there is some question as to wether thats legal and considered a thumbhole stock in NY or not. I also wanted to put in the tromix trigger group but you cant wit this stock..I hear the tromix trigger is very light and smooth. Not sure what to do here. The one I was looking at was def a thumbhole but the problem was its only for milled receivers, cant find any other anywhere else. The one i was looking at is a bulgarian thumbhole in black synthetic...Thanks for the link to that one though-i appreciate it and may wind up going that route

Yeah, I saw that stock-was going to order it but there is some question as to wether thats legal and considered a thumbhole stock in NY or not. I also wanted to put in the tromix trigger group but you cant wit this stock..I hear the tromix trigger is very light and smooth. Not sure what to do here. The one I was looking at was def a thumbhole but the problem was its only for milled receivers, cant find any other anywhere else. The one i was looking at is a bulgarian thumbhole in black synthetic...Thanks for the link to that one though-i appreciate it and may wind up going that route

I could be wrong, but I'm about 90% sure it's NY legal. With the Tromix trigger group, you'd have to do a complete conversion, and I believe it's just a modified Tapco trigger group. Someone will correct me if that's not right. Also if the other stock is for milled AKs, you'll probably have to do some work with a dremel or file, if you can get it to fit at all.

Here is the deal. And there is a LEO from NY that posts here that can back this up. The Skeleton or Thumbhole stock isn't "technically" illegal in NY, but it's a grey area. If someone sees it and feels like harassing you, you might be in for some trouble.

And just think, that's the good news. Now, for the bad news. There is some laws up for vote that are closing that ambiguity. The new laws specifically outlaw those stocks AND non trigger pistol grips. According to what I've seen, it's been brought up in the last couple of years but never passed. Who knows now, though.

Let me see if I can find the thread.

http://forum.saiga-1...%2BYork__st__30

Read that, and look for yeoldetool's posts.

EDIT. Just to make my position known....Anything you do to your gun is legal, according to the law of the land, the Constitution. We have, however, let these scumbags take away some of our rights so here we are.

Edited by PostsOnPercocet
  • Like 2

Here is the deal. And there is a LEO from NY that posts here that can back this up. The Skeleton or Thumbhole stock isn't "technically" illegal in NY, but it's a grey area. If someone sees it and feels like harassing you, you might be in for some trouble.

And just think, that's the good news. Now, for the bad news. There is some laws up for vote that are closing that ambiguity. The new laws specifically outlaw those stocks AND non trigger pistol grips. According to what I've seen, it's been brought up in the last couple of years but never passed. Who knows now, though.

Let me see if I can find the thread.

http://forum.saiga-1...%2BYork__st__30

Read that, and look for yeoldetool's posts.

EDIT. Just to make my position known....Anything you do to your gun is legal, according to the law of the land, the Constitution. We have, however, let these scumbags take away some of our rights so here we are.

+1

Excerpt from here: LINK

"In the Code of 1672 men were to provide their own arms, but arms would be supplied to those unable to obtain them. In New York, each town was to keep a stock of arms, and each man between 16 and 60 was to have arms. Even those not obligated to serve in the militia were required to keep arms and ammunition in their houses."

Oh, how we have fallen.

EDIT: Please try to ignore the racist implications of the documents referenced in that website. My post has only to do with the right of... no, the demand by the State for... citizens to bear arms.

Edited by Mike1234567
  • Like 3

Legalities aside, and I say that because I am in TX, I also am curious how to add a thumbhole stock for a milled rifle to the Saiga 12.

Must people might think I am crazy to want one in a non-ban state but I ran across the following picture of a Saiga 12 with one and think it looks great. Also It would just be another option because I have found I love to play Barbie with my guns and dress them in different configurations. I'm not sure if the owner is a member here or not though but if you are awesome work

91gx1d.jpg

Here is a picture of how he modified it

DSC01973.jpg

I have 2 of those thumbstocks laying around I'm thinking about giving it a try

Also if it is illegal in NY, I think riveting a kydex sheath like on this FAL stock wouldn't look to bad and would make it compliant too

DSC01214.jpg

Excerpt from here: LINK

"In the Code of 1672 men were to provide their own arms, but arms would be supplied to those unable to obtain them. In New York, each town was to keep a stock of arms, and each man between 16 and 60 was to have arms. Even those not obligated to serve in the militia were required to keep arms and ammunition in their houses."

Oh, how we have fallen.

EDIT: Please try to ignore the racist implications of the documents referenced in that website. My post has only to do with the right of... no, the demand by the State for... citizens to bear arms.

Fantastic read, and I had never seen it before. :blush: T'is now favorited.

I could be wrong, but I'm about 90% sure it's NY legal. With the Tromix trigger group, you'd have to do a complete conversion, and I believe it's just a modified Tapco trigger group. Someone will correct me if that's not right. Also if the other stock is for milled AKs, you'll probably have to do some work with a dremel or file, if you can get it to fit at all.

You're not only replacing the FCG you're also moving it FOWARD. That stock you posted a link to wouldn't make sense, not only does it look like shit (IMO) but you wouldn't be able to reach the trigger! Keeping 922r in mind, that stock is made in Russia .. just saying.

That said, I feel your pain, I live in CT where the law is basically the same. Anyways here are the two most common thumbhole/dragunov style stocks that I know of. I own the ATI stock and love it, it's very comfortable. I dont know about the Choate stock but If you plan on using the CSS trigger guard you will need to do some minor modifying to the ATI stock (removing material). I'm not positive but the Tromix trigger guard looks like it would fit better with less or if any modifying.

ATI Fiberforce:

atimak-0100.jpg

Choate:

192619.jpg

Here's a picture of mine to give you an idea

sga12.png

Good luck :smoke:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Molive,

That is my gun. Thanks for the kind words. I spent a lot of time on it. There is a thread about it somewhere on here I think in the 12ga Section.

To modify the stock is not all that hard. I do it on a bridgeport and have a few in the shop I have to do sometime soon. I actually made a fixture in order to do them. It could be modified with a dremel tool but will take some time and a steady hand. Much of the final fitting is done by scraping and file work. The area around the reciever needs to be lengthened, then the area that abuts the bottom of the reciever must be undercut. The front of the stub needs to be shortened and do not forget to bevel the top or bottom edge (can not remember right now) or it will not seat all the way forward. Even with the fixture I would anticipate spending a couple hours in order to modify and fit one properly.

PM me if you have questions on how to do it. I will try and take some detailed pics of the process and post them.

Molive,

That is my gun. Thanks for the kind words. I spent a lot of time on it. There is a thread about it somewhere on here I think in the 12ga Section.

To modify the stock is not all that hard. I do it on a bridgeport and have a few in the shop I have to do sometime soon. I actually made a fixture in order to do them. It could be modified with a dremel tool but will take some time and a steady hand. Much of the final fitting is done by scraping and file work. The area around the reciever needs to be lengthened, then the area that abuts the bottom of the reciever must be undercut. The front of the stub needs to be shortened and do not forget to bevel the top or bottom edge (can not remember right now) or it will not seat all the way forward. Even with the fixture I would anticipate spending a couple hours in order to modify and fit one properly.

PM me if you have questions on how to do it. I will try and take some detailed pics of the process and post them.

I did the one I had with a handsaw and a very sharp chisel. The outcome was the same and about 2 hours is right. It's the top of the nub that needs to be beveled. It fits under the top of the rear trunnion, which is radius-ed. Edited by Yeoldetool

Molive,

Wow that sounds like a lot of work especially for someone who isn't very mechanically inclined lol. I'm sure it is not but just a lot of checking and fitting. I'm sure I could figure out what you are talking about once I have the shotgun and stock in hand, right now my Saiga 12 is at Tac-47 Industries although I have been looking to buy another for the right price ;) If you can get some pics that would be awesome. Also I would be doing this with a dremel

I have one off of arsinal slr 95 if someone is looking

PM sent

Edited by Molive