Advice for 308 Gunsmiths to Convert New Rifles

I work in the oilfield and live oversea's and don't get to come home but once or twice a year.

I am looking to have my new Saiga 308's converted by a gunsmith. I am not in a rush so who ever does the work has all the time they would need - I would not be pushing them to return the rifle.

I was wanting to get opinions on Rifle Dynamics in Las Vegas and Red Jacket in Baton Rouge as to what Forum members have to say regarding their service and capabilities please.

I would also be interested in hearing of any other potential gunsmiths to consider using. I am looking for the best quality workmanship.

Thank for any advice and recommendations.

I will of course take plenty of before and after pictures and also do the range report at some point - when I get to come home and try them out.

gamboolman.....

are you not allowed riifles where you are? you can convert them yourself easily with excellent results.just watch the videos over and over and you will eventually see how easy.

No sir, I am in one of the dictator countries. I know lots do the conversions themselves but I don't mind paying for good quality workmanship. I just want to get recommendations and experiences of others

are you not allowed riifles where you are? you can convert them yourself easily with excellent results.just watch the videos over and over and you will eventually see how easy.

Seems like he's in a high risk environment making shit-loads of money but giving up his freedoms for awhile. He'll bring home gobs of tax-free cash so spending a few thousand on conversions is nothing to him.:super::haha:

I think you're going to find that most everyone here is a do it yourselfer. The reason I did my own work was that ALL of the "gunsmiths" that I found, charged top dollar for work that wasn't as good as I could do. I'm sure some of the advertisers could give you some referrals. You might try contacting some of them.

I believe they both have a lifetime warranty - that pretty much sums it up :super:

This is probably just my personal impression but it seems that Will (Red Jacket) is into making about anything your imagination can come up with (I think his sales tag-line is something along those lines) and Jim (Rifle Dynamics) is into creating a hard core weapon you could/would take to Iraq/A'stan (and guys have).

Thats absolutely NOT lessening either's skill's in the other direction because I have seen some simply beautiful guns by RD and great hard core guns by RJ. Both have web pages where you can see examples of their work. Take a look, give them a call to discuss what your looking for, and you cant go wrong with either of the 2 AK Masters :smoke:

Personally, Im trying to manipulate my budget for a new build by each! ...of course PB&J may get boring after awhile :dollar:

Cheers, Harv

• Like 1

Thanks Harv, I like your idea of one from each. I will take pics and post.

gamboolman

I believe they both have a lifetime warranty - that pretty much sums it up :super:

This is probably just my personal impression but it seems that Will (Red Jacket) is into making about anything your imagination can come up with (I think his sales tag-line is something along those lines) and Jim (Rifle Dynamics) is into creating a hard core weapon you could/would take to Iraq/A'stan (and guys have).

Thats absolutely NOT lessening either's skill's in the other direction because I have seen some simply beautiful guns by RD and great hard core guns by RJ. Both have web pages where you can see examples of their work. Take a look, give them a call to discuss what your looking for, and you cant go wrong with either of the 2 AK Masters :smoke:

Personally, Im trying to manipulate my budget for a new build by each! ...of course PB&J may get boring after awhile :dollar:

Cheers, Harv

I know Jim Fuller and have taken his AK classes, as far as building a Saiga 308 i'd go with him and Rifle Dynamics, top of the line work and resonable compared to others. As far as i'm concerned he is the AK master gunsmith, this man knows his stuff, and can build any AK platform you want. I am myself putting the stuff together for a 308 Saiganov, I have slowly consoladating my weapons to 3 maybe 4 types of ammo, 12ga, 308, 45, 22, all popular and easy to find.

Good Luck on your build.

HUZZAH!!

Last year I contacted several very reputable AK builders concerning some custom gunsmithing I wanted done to my Saiga 308. I contacted four companies describing the work I wanted done and asking for a rough price quote. Red Jacket and Rifle Dinamics were two of the companies I contacted, and Red Jacket was the ONLY company to even respond to my e-mail. After a little correspondence with Will at Red Jacket I sent them the rifle and they did exactly what I wanted with a few extras going above and beyond what I requested and to top it off the final price came in a little below the quote I was given. I would highly recommend Red Jacket.

Last year I contacted several very reputable AK builders concerning some custom gunsmithing I wanted done to my Saiga 308. I contacted four companies describing the work I wanted done and asking for a rough price quote. Red Jacket and Rifle Dinamics were two of the companies I contacted, and Red Jacket was the ONLY company to even respond to my e-mail. After a little correspondence with Will at Red Jacket I sent them the rifle and they did exactly what I wanted with a few extras going above and beyond what I requested and to top it off the final price came in a little below the quote I was given. I would highly recommend Red Jacket.

sounds to me like red jacket is the waay to go. i watch the show and it looks like they really know what they are doing when i comes to the AK platform. they even suppressed an AK.

Edited by byron