Taming the BHO Spring

Good evening folks - don't post much here but I do lurk once in a while.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere but I'm sure someone else has figured this out... thought I'd throw out a little helpful hint in regard to getting that evil BHO spring back in.

After struggling for a longer amount of time than I'm willing to admit with my BHO spring and watching every video and trying every tip known to man I figured out the method that works best for me. I decided to give trying to get that thing back in place for a few minutes and have a smoke... and daydream about cutting my shotgun into 3 pieces, that's when it hit me.

Here's a tip that works for me. I can get my BHO spring in and seated within 30 seconds now. Here we go:

1. After dropping the trigger group into place I insert and lean the BHO towards the trigger as recommended by most folks.

2. Run one of the axis pins about half-way through the trigger sleeve to keep the trigger in place. Do this from the side you normally would install the pin from.

3. I then put the spring into place via needle-nose pliers and push. While pushing down, I insert my second axis pin through the BHO side of the receiver, through the spring coil ,and into the trigger sleeve from the BHO side this time.

You now have 2 axis pins in the sleeve. One from either side. And the BHO and its lovely little spring is in place. Almost there!

Next, I keep the BHO pressed against the receiver and in place with my left thumb while I push the appropriate axis pin all the way into place. This knocks out the second pin you installed and used as a guide. You need to do this quickly and with force as to not let the spring escape from being captured.

I hope this makes sense and maybe helps one or two of you out along the way...

- Stack

I use a pin punch from the opposite side. Assemble the BHO and spring on the pin punch, and then put in the trigger and hold it too with the pin punch. Finally push the punch out with the axis pin!

I use a pin punch from the opposite side. Assemble the BHO and spring on the pin punch, and then put in the trigger and hold it too with the pin punch. Finally push the punch out with the axis pin!

Sounds even easier - need to give that a try.

Thanks!

The BHO spring has been an issue ever since people have been tearing these things apart and putting them back together. It's been covered a lot, trust me. :)

You can save yourself a lot of struggle by putting the axis pins through the spring loop while the spring is not under tension. Put it all together and then put the BHO spring leg on the BHO plate last.

Here's one of the more recent threads to rehash the issue:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/64419-pix-of-th-bho-dental-floss-trick/

I've tried the dummy pin and dental floss approaches, never seemed to work for me. I just bend the short end slightly into the lever. Seems to keep it from sliding off as easy. One of the u-tube vids describes it I think. Been awhile.

The BHO spring has been an issue ever since people have been tearing these things apart and putting them back together. It's been covered a lot, trust me. :)

You can save yourself a lot of struggle by putting the axis pins through the spring loop while the spring is not under tension. Put it all together and then put the BHO spring leg on the BHO plate last.

Here's one of the more recent threads to rehash the issue:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/64419-pix-of-th-bho-dental-floss-trick/

I realize that - just trying to help. Hadn't seen the dual-axis pin method (and yes, I searched). I'll crawl back under my rock now.

I realize that - just trying to help. Hadn't seen the dual-axis pin method (and yes, I searched). I'll crawl back under my rock now.

No prob Stack. :)

It's good to have lots of different ideas and fresh input on things.

No prob Stack. :)

It's good to have lots of different ideas and fresh input on things.

Indeed! Have a great one!

• 2 weeks later...

Easy fix. Throw it away and learn to insert a mag with the bolt forward.

Ha, that's what i had to do. spent about an hour trying to get that f'in thing in. eventually spring broke and the lever ended up somewhere in the garage

CSS has a video on how to do it the easy way. Look it up on youtube or the CSS site. Its the on the trigger install and mainspring install vids.

Took me 5 minutes

Tried that a dozen times and I still struggled. For me, i just couldn't get the technique down. Now it takes me 30 seconds with far less swearing.

My saiga 308 was the first saiga I've worked on with a BHO.

I just put a slight bend in the spring and used a small screw driver as a slave pin after dropping the spring in. It's pretty easy to do, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The BHO on the 308 is entirely pointless, but it saves me from having to replace it with washers, so I just trimmed it down where it could be used if ever needed. It holds the bolt about halfway open, I wonder why they even made it with one.

Edited by Tombs

CSS has a video on how to do it the easy way. Look it up on youtube or the CSS site. Its the on the trigger install and mainspring install vids.

Took me 5 minutes

Tried that a dozen times and I still struggled. For me, i just couldn't get the technique down. Now it takes me 30 seconds with far less swearing.

Long needle nose pliers definately help, I wouldnt want to try it without them

With my stock assembly off the gun and the BHO out of the gun I installed the trigger group axis pin that holds the BHO spring in place completely and locked it in place (I use the shepherd's crook.) With the BHO spring sitting next to the BHO hole, I slip a slotted screwdriver through the back of the receiver and under the part of the spring that has to be raised over the BHO. Then I put the BHO in position and lift the spring over the BHO.

Probably easier said than done, but it almost took me longer to write this post than actually get it back in place after installing my performance mainspring.