Sights & Threading

I have a few questions.

First. Does anyone have experience with this ACE LTD front sight:

0001aaaFrontsight.jpg

Used in conjunction with this Vulcan (*pause to get foul taste out of mouth*) rear sight:

0001aaarearsight.jpg

????? (The rear comes mounted to the rear of a top cover a' la Galil style, but lower to align with AK front sights).

Second. I have a spare M-60 flash suppressor laying around and am considering using it on my Saiga-308 project. The threads on the suppressor are 5/8x24 and I am wondering

(1) would it be possible to thread my .308 barrel to 5/8x24 with a plain 'ole die, after removing the current FSB, or

(2) would the barrel need to be removed and the muzzle turned down on a lathe to make it small enough to then thread, and if so

(3) who would be suitable for that work? I know the barrel diameter at the muzzle is somewhere around .700 +/- (about 11/16", or so).

Thanks

Edited by macbeau
Barrel needs to be turned down, and any sight/scope rail mounted to the dust cover is crap.

This is just another bunch of crap that goes around the internet as fact. And as far as the chinese scope mounts, I would tend to agree, but a peep sight is a different story. I made a few that attach to the cover that repeats zero no matter how many times you take it off. If the cover fits right, its not a problem.

Used in conjunction with this Vulcan (*pause to get foul taste out of mouth*) rear sight:

Just out of curiosity, Macbeau... WHY the dig on Vulcan arms?

My buddy has a Vulcan arms AR lower and it works wonderfully...

I also have a Vulcan .50 BMG on the way... and from the pics I have seen and the reports on it, it looks fabulous, and its a top notch shooter.

I have heard rumor about vulcan AK's but so far, havent heard any firsthand stuff...

THATS what I would like to have, some firsthand info so I can at least understand what makes them deserve the bad rep they seem to have on the net-gun community.

I am not saying your wrong... believe me, I am just asking for input as to the "why's" of your dislike....

Thanks...

:smoke:

Vulcan is Hesse, 'nuff said. If you don't know Hesse, feel free to look up their name. The Vulcan motto is pretty lame as well. :)

macbeau, depending on if you want to alter the M60 FS, why not have its opening enlarged to a tight fit and install two set screws in the top that match the pin recesses? It should save a lot of labor and hassle.

Receiver sights have worked for ages on Galils, Valmets, and Sakos in combat. So long as the cover has a tight fit, why would it not work?

Fm danny boy "...and any sight/scope rail mounted to the dust cover is crap."
I already have the top cover with the rear sight. I bought it because I wanted to have a longer sight radius like that on my Action Arms Galil. On the Galil, (Owned since 1988) I have never had a problem with the sights returning to zero after removing the cover. I was thinking of getting was the ACE gas block adapted front sight and wanted to know if anyone had used it in conjunction with a cover mounted rear like that illustrated. I have seen several different types (w/ HK rear, AR rear), but this is the one I happen to have. I am trying to decide on whether to go with the ACE front and ditch the stock FSB or stick with the stock FSB and hope a flash suppressor becomes available for use with it.

Fm IndyArms  "Just out of curiosity, Macbeau... WHY the dig on Vulcan arms?"

In my experience, dealing with Hesse / Vulcan is a real gamble. Not so much for the quality of their stuff as with trying to get what I ordered. Sometimes I have a decent experience, many times I do not. They have some of the exact same stuff that BOTACH use to carry for Galil's and AK's, but at a significantly higher price. Now, since BOTACH has removed many of their AK and Galil accessories from their web sight, Vulcan is about the only game in town for much of the AK / Galil stuff I want. The AK top cover (w/ rear sight) I got from them is decent, but it took me 6 months to get it and I was never told that it was back ordered or anything. They rarely respond to e-mails and only once was I able to get anyone on the phone there and she wasn't very helpful. Appaerntly, all the tech's were out on that day. Just my experience...

I was under the impression that the former Hesse (JoeKen) only sells Vulcan Armament products, not that they were the same. I geuss the question would then be of peoples actual experience with Vulcan, and it seems Macbeau has covered that. Any other input would be welcome of course. Just curious. Always interested in learning more.

JoeKen has no relation to Hesse do they? AFAIK that is some private affair by two men out of their garage with a question past of charging credit cards and not delivering products they sell.

Hesse has always been a gun company that acted much like CAI in that they imported parts guns and assembled (on their own receivers) and sold them or imported things like WASRs or Saigas and made them politically incorrect. Just Hesse did a bad job of it most of the time. So they then switch to Vulcan and use it as their new base of operation trying to rid themselves of the Hesse legacy of poor quality products.

macbeau, I know the guy that runs Ohio Rapidfire is making Galils from parts kits on his own receivers. He might have stuff you need. No idea where he gets these things, but he was talking about having his hand on SAR kits and even some .308 ones (this was back when I got my Saiga around the beginning of the year). He even showed pictures of some genuine HK die sets for stamping HK 91 or 94 receivers that he had bought from an old, factory licensed plant. He usually hangs out over at AR15.com on their AK forums. Everyone that buys his stuff raves about the quality, and his prices were right on par with Vulcan for the rifles... some might even be less.

macbeau, I know the guy that runs Ohio Rapidfire is making Galils from parts kits on his own receivers.  He might have stuff you need.  No idea where he gets these things, but he was talking about having his hand on SAR kits and even some .308 ones (this was back when I got my Saiga around the beginning of the year).  He even showed pictures of some genuine HK die sets for stamping HK 91 or 94 receivers that he had bought from an old, factory licensed plant.  He usually hangs out over at AR15.com on their AK forums.  Everyone that buys his stuff raves about the quality, and his prices were right on par with Vulcan for the rifles... some might even be less.

Thanks.

The .50 BMG I got from Vulcan, I didnt actually *GET* from vulcan, I got it from another company... who I guess you can say DEALS in vulcan armament stuff..

Great product, so far... VERY prompt delivery, and excellent communication...

All in all I am, so far, very satisfied..

Mind you I have only run about a dozen rounds thru the 50 today... so...

Still, there is a one year warrantee... we will hope that I NEVER NEED IT...

Fit and finish on the Vulcan .50 is VERY NICE!!! Stock is gorgeous, and the finish on the rifle is very even, and looks really good!

Maybe after a couple years they have been able to get their shit together?

:smoke: